Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #1

2015 Jayco Precept...Issue with door lock

Door lock started acting up and now very hard to open/lock...seems loose "inside" lock. Tried adjusting door lock plate, etc to no avail. Anyone have this issue and if so...remedy? Thanks.
pattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

My Alante’s door works very poorly when it is very cold. When we’re where it’s warm it works great.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #3

Thank you...

Thanks for responding to my question...do appreciate.
pattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

Have 35 un no problems cold or hot.
street rod 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #5

Jayco replaced ours under warranty and paid local RV tech to uninstall old one and install new. I ordered 2 spare keys and keep them w/2 spare ignition keys in 2 separate magnetic key holders in 2 locations on our ‘17 35S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:42 AM   #6

2015 Jayco Precept...Issue with door lock

Are you talking about the striker pin or the dead bolt? The striker pin seems to sticky when the weather is cold. I found the striker plate was set slightly high and had to adjust. Before I had to slam the door as simply pulling it closed would not secure it and I could not get the pin to engage nor would the dead bolt work. To determine if it the lock or and issue with the striker plate check out how well the bolts work with the door open. Do the dead bolt and pin operate freely when the door is open and just seem tight when closed? The feel should be the same when closed as when open. Sorry if I am not clear but let me know if you need a better explanation.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #7

door

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb View Post
Door lock started acting up and now very hard to open/lock...seems loose "inside" lock. Tried adjusting door lock plate, etc to no avail. Anyone have this issue and if so...remedy? Thanks.
We found that our door is almost impossible to open when it's cold. What I had to do was adjust striker plate on frame. It was dragging and making the door really hard to open, after adjusting it was better. Once it warmed up door works like a breeze, guess we are only suppose to camp in warn weather. Still looking for way to make door work in cold weather.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #8

Check batteries.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #9

I have an Alante 31P with the same problem. I found there is a guide on the bottom of the door. The guide has two shims on it. I took one shim out and the door opens and closes in cold weather much better then before.
longleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Are you talking about the striker pin or the dead bolt? The striker pin seems to sticky when the weather is cold. I found the striker plate was set slightly high and had to adjust. Before I had to slam the door as simply pulling it closed would not secure it and I could not get the pin to engage nor would the dead bolt work. To determine if it the lock or and issue with the striker plate check out how well the bolts work with the door open. Do the dead bolt and pin operate freely when the door is open and just seem tight when closed? The feel should be the same when closed as when open. Sorry if I am not clear but let me know if you need a better explanation.

I adjusted the striker plate in door frame as the two pins were dragging. What I am now noticing is that the strike plate and pins are dragging on the back side. There are what look like two plates in the frame and the space from door pins to striker is two tight. I see no real way to remove one of the plates. When you try to open the door from inside it unlatches real easy, but the pins are so tight that you have to use you knee to push door open. That's at 60 degrees. At 17 degrees we thought we were trapped inside and I had to sit down and kick the door while holding handle open (not a pretty sight). One thing we learned was don't go camping at 17 degrees.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #11

On my unit I can loosen the two small screws on the jam next to weather seal. see photo then if needed I could put a spacer in there. Try loosening them and see if it changes the gap. If I understand you correctly those screws might be over driven and pulled the jam to tight.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
On my unit I can loosen the two small screws on the jam next to weather seal. see photo then if needed I could put a spacer in there. Try loosening them and see if it changes the gap. If I understand you correctly those screws might be over driven and pulled the jam to tight.

The two pins are dragging on the frame side of strike plates. I adjusted the alignment of the strike plates so the pins are centered but they still drag metal on metal. Looks like I just need to remove some metal from the outermost strike plate as I can see where it is rubbing.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #13

Do you have the small screws like this? Try loosening them. This will pull the strike plates away from the jam. You are saying the large heads are rubbing so loosening the jam screws should move the striker plates out.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Do you have the small screws like this? Try loosening them. This will pull the strike plates away from the jam. You are saying the large heads are rubbing so loosening the jam screws should move the striker plates out.

Just looked and all I have are the two larger ones.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #15

Sorry out of suggestions, other than slipping a flat screw driver Bennight the plate and seeing you can carefully bend it out. Probably doesn’t need much.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #16

The shims I was referring to are on the very bottom of the door. The striker plates by the door handle were ok.

Currently in Indio, CA. Temp is 80 degrees. Door still works.
longleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #17

I may not understand the problem correctly but. if you remove the bottom screw, then remove the top screw, while holding the strike plates, can you lift both strike plates up and out of the door frame ? if soI believe you could stack a small thin flat washer on top of the steike plates where the screws go, then replace the strike plate in the jam and reinsert the screws. This would move the strike plate deeper in the jam and should relieve the dragging. Use some "dum dum" to hold the washers in place until you have the screws in place,
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #18

I think kenak means that the strike plates are too far in already and the head of the pins is scraping on the strike plate between the strike plate and the jam.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #19

I had the same issue with my 2016 precept just after I took delivery, was locked out
for a few hours, had to climb out the back, finally Jayco, through the dealer where I bought the vehicle sent someone out, the problem was fixed, but I have noticed that in
cold weather the problems return, but not to the point of locking me out.
Has to be a manufacturing problem.
Chappy2351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #20

Suggest that you get a locksmith if the unit is out of warranty
Chappy2351 is offline   Reply With Quote