Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

2015 Precept, 31UL, TV Cable splitters?

Our tv signal has always been full of fuzz. We didn’t watch a lot so it was a minor annoyance but now I’m determined to fix it. Currently I bypass the coach wiring and just run a line out the window from the main tv to the cable box. Obviously this doesn’t allow use of the bedroom or outside units.
I’ve been told the problem is probably with the cable splitters, but where are they? I’ve searched under the whole rig but everything is buried. Ive pulled the panel off in the front passenger storage closet where the satellite connections come in, but can’t see anything pertinent.

I’m sure it was an issue when new but we bought it when it was 2 years old and only had 3,200 miles. Any suggestions welcome?
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernman View Post
Our tv signal has always been full of fuzz.
Is it this way using both cable and Over the Air (OTA) signals, or specific to just cable?

Quote:
Currently I bypass the coach wiring and just run a line out the window from the main tv to the cable box.
I assume when you do this the signal is fine? Do you have a satellite or just cable and OTA?

Quote:
I’ve been told the problem is probably with the cable splitters, but where are they? I’ve searched under the whole rig but everything is buried.
I don't have this model, so hard to say where they are exactly, but you should look for a wall plate that has the cable that goes to the TV. On it you should see a light and a small switch. Should look similar to this...

Suggestions....

1. Try hooking the cable to the cable port in the wet bay and make sure the switch on this panel is turned off. This will disable the OTA booster which will cause issues with the cable signal.

2. Reach out to Jayco and ask them for the signal cable schematic for your vin number. This may help you identify what the connections should be and what their colors are.

3. Open the different panels you may be able to see if you have a cable in the wrong location based on color coding. I would check the cable color (sometimes the cable will have a small band near the tip) and verify that from one location to the other. You should be able to locate the splitters, they will likely be near the main TV, and could be under the lift or behind it.

4. If you can locate the main splitter, then hook the cable box directly to the input on that and see if that resolves it. Your antenna/cbale splitter shown above may be bad.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #3

The splitter in my 2021 Precept 31UL is located inside the overhead cabinet in the dining room slide. You must remove the front facing panel and there you will find the connections for all of your tv’s

I was able to get the wiring diagram from Jayco.

My connection to park cable was not connected from the factory, I hate messing with my dealer so I corrected the issue myself
Sanford Fl camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #4

Southernman hi again,
I have a 2015 as well and my splitter was up behind the winegard cable booster plate. I also found that almost all of the crimp joints at each connector were loose or bad. I replaced all of mine and improved the picture quality.
Dave

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #5

Just bought a 2021 Precept and I’m pretty sure I have the same issue. Jayco Customer support said only the antenna is connected to the booster, but the schematic they sent says differently. Please, any tips you can provide would be appreciated. I can’t find the cable feed (schematic says black cable) to the booster. OTA works fine.
JPpgmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #6

My apologies to all who replied! We were camping with spotty cell service.

I have pulled the panel in the front overhead storage compartment where the satellite interface, antennae booster, etc. (I understand about shutting the booster down. That’s not the problem.) I didn’t see any splitters but I may give it another try.

I have found loose connections, or a few things not hooked up at all, so I’m hardly shocked. I’ve got to solve this so I’ll keep trying.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:08 PM   #7

Mike Foret,
That looks like what I have, but I didn’t think of it as a splitter! Good suggestions!
Old 05-12-2021, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
My apologies to all who replied! We were camping with spotty cell service.

I have pulled the panel in the front overhead storage compartment where the satellite interface, antennae booster, etc. (I understand about shutting the booster down. That’s not the problem.) I didn’t see any splitters but I may give it another try.

I have found loose connections, or a few things not hooked up at all, so I’m hardly shocked. I’ve got to solve this so I’ll keep trying.
So my 2020 31UL had great reception when using the roof antenna and the booster. On plugging in to campground cable and shutting off the booster we had no reception. None!

When I removed the booster from the wall panel there were only two coax cables attached to it, the third connector had no cable on it. So I removed the panel cover and pulled all the wires out to see what there was.

I found 2 coax cables in the compartment that were not connected. There was a gray one and an orange one. When I traced them out, the gray one went to the 'park' connection inside the wet bay and the orange one went to the 'sat' connection in that same location.

I connected the gray cable to the third input on the booster and immediately had great reception coming in over the 'park' connection. I didn't do anything with the orange cable as we have no intention of using a satellite connection but in my opinion both of those cables should have connected to a combiner and the output connected to the booster.

This seems to be a common occurrence on these coaches....is there some reason why the factory does not connect all the possible coax connections when they build these things?

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #9

Can you share the diagram….thx
rkelley712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #10

Can you share the diagram I too have a 2021 31 UL
tomanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelley712 View Post
Can you share the diagram….thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanna View Post
Can you share the diagram I too have a 2021 31 UL
You guys will get a better response if you quote the person you are asking for a diagram from.....

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote