Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #1

2016 Precept bed issues

We are considering buying a used 2016 Precept 35s, but not having owned one before I have questions about the bed. It has the factory mattress and when the bedroom slides are in the mattress ends up being "bunched" up on the end. It seems to be about 6 or 8 inches too long. When the slides go in it sits on an unfinished rough edged wooden pedestal and the end of it is hinged and drops to facilitate the slide. It's a king mattress, we measured and it seems as though there's only 72" room for the mattress. Those of you that are 2016 35s owners....is this how yours is? It just doesn't seem right and it's giving me second thoughts as to whether we should be buying this unit. We really like this RV, it has everything else we want and according to the dealer the unit was purchased from them new and all warranty work was done by them and it was minimal. It's low mileage and doesn't seem to have been used very much. Can any of you shed any light on this issue?
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #2

Our 16 35s was the same. We had a custom mattress made for the bed that is shorter. The bunching didn't bother us we just wanted a more comfortable mattress.
Coachhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

First off welcome to the JOF. Ours is the same and it doesn’t bother us either. It is still useable even with the slides in although we have never had to use it that way. On occasion our older grandkids will lay on the bed while traveling (I know they should be belted in) and the end of the bed being slightly bunched is a non issue. There are others who may chime in who have changed out the mattress to a queen size which gives them more room on the sides. Don’t let the bed be your deal breaker. If everything else checks out and you have confidence in your dealer then I would not hesitate to go for it. It’s a great floor plan and a lot of bang for your buck. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #4

We added a topper and it’s more comfortable than our previous 2 rv’s. I’m 5’11” and fit well. The bracket holding the bed open came off but no biggie. If you find more quality, bang for the buck, features, amenities like Sanicon, convection microwave, constant hot water, 22.5” tires, fiberglass roof, silent bed in cab, etc. etc. etc. for a lower price, let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

I'll post photos of my solution for the "bunching up" when I get home from work. I'm 6' 2" so a shorter mattress was out of the question and we added a 2" mattress topper.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

I made these and put them under the mattress before closing the slides. I didn't want any unneeded pressure on the Schwintek slide system than needed to be.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
We are considering buying a used 2016 Precept 35s, but not having owned one before I have questions about the bed. It has the factory mattress and when the bedroom slides are in the mattress ends up being "bunched" up on the end. It seems to be about 6 or 8 inches too long. When the slides go in it sits on an unfinished rough edged wooden pedestal and the end of it is hinged and drops to facilitate the slide. It's a king mattress, we measured and it seems as though there's only 72" room for the mattress. Those of you that are 2016 35s owners....is this how yours is? It just doesn't seem right and it's giving me second thoughts as to whether we should be buying this unit. We really like this RV, it has everything else we want and according to the dealer the unit was purchased from them new and all warranty work was done by them and it was minimal. It's low mileage and doesn't seem to have been used very much. Can any of you shed any light on this issue?
The mattress in our 2017 35s also bunches up when closing the slides, but no more than 3 inches. Not t a big deal for us although we are considering swapping out the mattress for more comfortable one. As stated in an earlier post I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #8

Vicr, thank you! That's a great idea! The mattress in the RV is a real mess and we're going to custom order one and we'll do exactly what you did. Going shorter wasn't really an option for us either as my husband is tall. Our test drive is tomorrow so unless something really unusual crops up we expect to buy it.

Thanks to all of you for your help. And we agree, we've shopped a lot too and this is the best we found on the market for the $$$.

And this is a great forum, I expect we'll be here lots!��
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote