Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #1

2017. 31v

Anyone else have a severe whistling noise as you are driving down the highway?
We have had this since day one and it's very annoying
Cln56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #2

Some wind noises can be very hard to locate. If you leave it to the dealer it probably won't get fixed. I have heard of this problem and its usually the mirror, or seal for the windshield. Some have put duct tape over the windshield trim to try and isolate that area to see if the noise stops. Others have found a problem where wires from the mirror exit the door and enter the cab, make sure both are sealed tight.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

Have you been able to identify where the noise comes from? Some have notice the window will whistle. If that is where, one likely cause is the window is not fully closing when latched. Try unlatching and pushing the window as closed as possible. If this solves it, you should be able to have it fixed under warranty or you could try to fix yourself.

Other than that, how do you like your 31v?
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #4

One of the side windows is most likely your culprit. Take a VERY close look at it when it is latched shut. You may discover that it is either not latched properly OR one of the windows is "cocked" at a small angle. In the case of our Precept, it was both. Straightened everything out, just by wrestling with it a bit, and now is as quiet as could be, and no offensive involvement of a dealer. The noise we were getting - we characterized it as "a dozen chirping birds." The factory service center had changed out both sliding window assemblies in their entirety but that had no lasting effect. The noise was either there or not there, above 30 mph, depending on exactly HOW the window was closed.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
RWK

We had the same noise on our Alante. It came from the drivers side window. The window latch was locking the window but not in its completely closed position. Dealership reinstalled latch and the window closed properly. The next annoying whistle came from me adjusting the passenger side mirror arm at too drastic of an angle. I was attempting to get a better use out of the camera installed in the mirror. Had to move it back a bit until the sound went away. Wish the side view cameras were mounted on the body. When I get the mirrors how I like them the cameras are just okay. Adjust for the cameras and mirrors suck. The cameras are fairly useless.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #6

With 3 years of experience with our 2014 Melbourne and 6 months of experience with our 2017 Precept, I can report our complete agreement with the statement that the side cameras are "fairly useless." As a matter of fact, they are worse than useless because, due to interlock with direction signals, they take away from one's ability to use the rear view camera which actually gives an overall better view of the "side" situation much of the time, such as when lane changing.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
With 3 years of experience with our 2014 Melbourne and 6 months of experience with our 2017 Precept, I can report our complete agreement with the statement that the side cameras are "fairly useless." As a matter of fact, they are worse than useless because, due to interlock with direction signals, they take away from one's ability to use the rear view camera which actually gives an overall better view of the "side" situation much of the time, such as when lane changing.
x2.
I'd rather have the view of the toad while I am turning not a dark view of the side of the coach.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
RWK

After Jayco dealer replaced my JBL junk stereo for the third time, they put the newer nicer Pioneer unit in. When I manually switch it to look out the back at the Toad it stays there even when I use my turn signals. The left and right cams no longer override the rear camera now which is great for towing and turning.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

I have the Pioneer unit, but I have not played with it very much. Are you saying that there is the capability in there somewhere to tell it to keep the display from following the direction signals? That would be an improvement, given that there doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to mechanically point the side cameras where you want them to point.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
RWK

Truthfully I'm not sure if it was optional with a setting or just works that way after the dealer installed it. That's the way it's worked since I've gotten it back from it's many service needs. I haven't had much time with it either. I'm just happy that's the way it functions. I will play with it more on this upcoming trip to Nevada.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #11

There was another post about the same noise. In that post they found the screws securing the window latch were too long. I have the noise issue but the screws were the proper length. I opened the window latch and the noise stopped. Looking at the window and latch closely the window was not closing all the way preventing the latch from locking properly. Closing the latch pushed the window inward causing the whistling noise. I pushed on the top of the window and the window closed properly and the latch engaged correctly.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
RWK

Good job, they pulled the latch and redrilled it to make it latch properly. Whistle went away instantly.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

There are similar posts elsewhere here on this issue and a number of us simply unlatch the closed window - noise immediately stops - and NBD to leave things that way until parking for the night and lock it if you're concerned someone might climb in. But for us, simply unlatching the lock to completely stop the noise is preferred to letting some dealer monkey around with replacing the window, etc. and maybe making things worse.
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote