Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #1

2017 Alante 26X Handling Issues?

Good evening, all, we are going to test drive a 2017 Alante 26X on Saturday. I have researched (on this board and elsewhere) the handling issues and it appears everyone who has this model complains about the handling. Is there anyone who does not have any issues with the handling as manufactured? Also those that have corrected any handling issues with after market items, can you give me an approx $ cost?
We really love the looks and the layout of the 26X but if it handles poorly it is a no go unless I invest in handling upgrades which perhaps I can work into the deal (yeah, good luck with that).
Thanks in advance for any input
Stu & Nina Stoner
Central PA
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:44 AM   #2

I spent about $1500 on steering stabilizer, track bar (self-installed) and computer alignment for my Alante 31V. It was worth it and the ride/stability is much better. But after all, it is still a big box on a truck chassis with ancient suspension. There is only so much you can do. But I believe other brands in that price range on F53 chassis have all the same issue. Just get used to it. After a few 1000 miles it feels totally natural
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #3

First I would drive it and see what your dealing with. Maybe previous owner upgraded? I have a 2016 31ul with the 18k chassis. So a good alignment to Ford motorhome specs which are different than f53 specs, chf front and rear (Google it), rear Trac bar. I have about $1k in that. For ride I added koni shocks about $800 installed. I think the alignment and Trac bar are best bang for buck. But even with my greater overhang with 31 foot, towing a grand Cherokee, I am able to drive with one hand at 62-67 mph with trucks on interstates. Now if you add in 20 mph wind it's not as good. When I bought it I said the drive was like a drunken sailor, but it's much better now.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #4

I have a 2016 26X and love it. Did the CHF and had tires properly balanced, dealer paid. I flat tow a Wrangler and know it makes the handling better. I have made 3 trips from SW Ontario to Mission Texas and have had few handling issues. I travel at about 63 mph and find that when I am passed by transports the wind sheer disappears once they are about 200 yards past. Maybe I'm lucky, but I never expected my Alante to rid like a Lincoln, remember you are driving a bus that thinks it is a sail. Good luck with your test drive.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #5

Today we test drove a 2017 Alante 26X...and I was pleasantly surprised.....it handled better than I expected at highway speeds....even being passed by semis...handles better that our 2018 Class C Four Winds......the ride was smooth...I guess we will buy....we will take a minor hit on trade in value and I mean minor if we decide to buy....now we are just dickering on bottom line dollars....
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
RWK

Empty coaches initially ride better than loaded coaches. That's how I ended up buying mine new, it seemed to ride nice. But ultimately I think you will be happier with this than with a Class C. You might feel like adding a few suspension upgrades if they haven't already been done.
Good luck and safe travels.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

Two more things to consider are 1) proper tire inflation, you should find a sticker on the wall next to the driver seat. 2) Get your rig weighed after you've loaded with all your gear, full tanks of gas,water,propane... - download the 'CAT Scale' app, to locate a scale near your home/travel.

Good luck!