Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

2017 Alante 31V - Outside air through dash / weak ineffective Defrost & Heat

Last fall, and now this 'spring', I've noticed that there is a constant flow of air through the dash, under the steering column that is unaffected by the settings on the Climate Control Panel. It's espeically noticable when temperatures are less than desirable.

On another note, heat is not effective unless standing still, and defrost is not effective even then.

Anything I should look for specifically? My warranty is expiring in June, and I'd like to see it taken care of prior to that.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #2

Rip the carpet out to right of gas pedal. There is a gap between two wood surfaces. Fill with foam. Reapply carpet.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #3

Are you able to take a photo of the area in question, so I pull the right carpet section?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

I found a number of un-filled holes through the fire wall in mine.

I lifted the top of the dash and found many feet of extra hose feeding the defrost vents. So much in fact it had smashed itself flat in areas. I trimmed them and routed them in a logical manner and now the defrost works.

It’s such a shame the lack of workmanship in the RV industry. I’m beginning to think you could train monkeys to build a better product.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
Are you able to take a photo of the area in question, so I pull the right carpet section?
It's just the carpet in the rear of gas pedal to right around that offset. The carpet is stapled to wood board so I pulled away from top down just enough to give me access to the vertical hole.
Two years ago I was sitting in driver seat and could feel gusts of wind. Sometimes driving I could feel heat coming through.
I also checked the firewall from engine side and foamed or caulked a few places. Check where wire bundles come through.
One trick to finding holes is to wait until dark and turn on inside lights and maybe put one under dash then look from outside to see light from any gaps.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #6

Excellent, thanks, I'll try and tackle it this weekend!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #7

I had a heater air hose that was not connected, as well as large gaps in the wooden box in front of the doghouse as well, filled those with expanding foam. If your defroster is not working then you need to look at the vacuum lines to the actuator or diverter on the air box, or there is a air hose not connected as mine was. I once had one develop a leak and that took out my defroster.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

I keep the outside fresh air vent under dash closed when not essential. Before doing this we always had a cold draft (hot in summer) under the passenger side of dash, an inspection revealed that it is open to the engine compartment.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

sound dampening

If you really want to see what lurks below the carpet check out the "sound dampening" thread. I did a project and now my Alante is so quiet and comfortable. Before the project my wife's purse would get hot when she left it on the floor near the doghouse. It was a lot of work but after several trips I still think it was worth it. I was able to see how poorly all the wiring and hoses were set so it gave me an opportunity to zip tie and secure everything under there. Hope this helps.
mountaineyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineyedoc View Post
If you really want to see what lurks below the carpet check out the "sound dampening" thread. I did a project and now my Alante is so quiet and comfortable. Before the project my wife's purse would get hot when she left it on the floor near the doghouse. It was a lot of work but after several trips I still think it was worth it. I was able to see how poorly all the wiring and hoses were set so it gave me an opportunity to zip tie and secure everything under there. Hope this helps.
You are so right!, I removed the dash cap as well as doing the doghouse and under the carpet with fatmat. As you stated, lots of work but so worth it, doghouse doesn't even get warm to the touch where it used to get downright hot. And what a mess of wiring and hoses, no organization at all, just run every which way.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #11

How difficult is it to remove the top of the dash? I've been trying to quieten squeaks and still have one somewhere in the dash.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
How difficult is it to remove the top of the dash? I've been trying to quieten squeaks and still have one somewhere in the dash.
It's a bit of work. there are wing nuts under the front edge that work loose causing some of the squeaks, if you have a little bit of what looks like white dry powder under the outside lip then the wingnuts are loose and allowing the dash cap to rub. The defroster hoses are long enough to raise the cap far enough to remove them, and the front edge is screwed down along the very front edge along the windshield, you also have to remove the side pillar covers and trim as well as the top console screws.

You can look under the dash at the wood supports to see if they are still upright, some have fallen over as mine did, when I put the cap back on I used silicone adhesive to secure the tops to the underside of the cap which eliminated some squeaks.