Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

2017 Precept 31UL - Modifications

We have had a 2017 31UL for 9 months and 8000 miles. I have been intending to post a "contrarian" rant in this forum, in an attempt to counteract some of the negativity I have seen. Like having to undertake various types of modifications to have something tolerable. Suspension, tire pressures, weight distribution, engine noise suppression, etc. It seems to me that a steady dose of that kind of talk could discourage new and potential buyers. I for one cannot relate to any of it. We think the 31UL, and especially with the 2017 upgrades, is a lot of RV for the money, the ideal size and features for 2 people. Our point of reference is a 2014 Melbourne 29D that we owned for 3 years and 18,000 miles.

Hobbyists can play around with tire pressures, CAT scales, shock absorbers, seating modifications and sound isolation mats, but by no means are these activities necessary to have a good experience.

One man's opinion.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #2

I have to agree wth you. We've had our 2018 35S for 3 1/2 months now and have put a little over 9000 miles on it. We must have the only good riding 35S in existance. I called Jayco when I first got it because I noticed it had stock shocks on and they sent me a set of Bilsteins that don't fit the 2018s so I found someone else who could use them. The more I drive it, the better it seems to ride. I'll put a Safe-T-Steer on just in case, but I don't think I'll do anything else.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #3

Well said. We also came from a Melbourne 29D, a 2010 with similar length of ownership and miles. When Jayco put the the 31UL on the large chassis, we were hooked! The great floorplan of our much loved 29D with more of everything. It has been great from day one and has gotten even better as we have done mods and projects that while no means neccessary have added to our enjoyment of our 2017 31UL.
Pandara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
I'll put a Safe-T-Steer on just in case, but I don't think I'll do anything else.
Safe-T-Steer would be a different matter entirely. Installed for the same reason that I wouldn't be without a TPMS. I'll have to read up on the Safe-T-Steer.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

I have had my Precept 35 S for over a year with close to 14000 mile and love the ride and handling not sure why the need for doing upgrades, we love it.
Busch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #6

[QUOTE=chasfenwick;558563]We have had a 2017 31UL for 9 months and 8000 miles. I have been intending to post a "contrarian" rant in this forum, in an attempt to counteract some of the negativity I have seen. Like having to undertake various types of modifications to have something tolerable. Suspension, tire pressures, weight distribution, engine noise suppression, etc. It seems to me that a steady dose of that kind of talk could discourage new and potential buyers. I for one cannot relate to any of it. We think the 31UL, and especially with the 2017 upgrades, is a lot of RV for the money, the ideal size and features for 2 people. Our point of reference is a 2014 Melbourne 29D that we owned for 3 years and 18,000 miles.

Hobbyists can play around with tire pressures, CAT scales, shock absorbers, seating modifications and sound isolation mats, but by no means are these activities necessary to have a good experience.

One man's opinion.[/QUOTE

Hobbyists??? I'll take that as an insult. I've been wrenching on vehicles since 1977. I'm no hobbyist for adjusting my tire pressure, doing the CHF and changing my shocks thank you!
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Vicr;558678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
We have had a 2017 31UL for 9 months and 8000 miles. I have been intending to post a "contrarian" rant in this forum, in an attempt to counteract some of the negativity I have seen. Like having to undertake various types of modifications to have something tolerable. Suspension, tire pressures, weight distribution, engine noise suppression, etc. It seems to me that a steady dose of that kind of talk could discourage new and potential buyers. I for one cannot relate to any of it. We think the 31UL, and especially with the 2017 upgrades, is a lot of RV for the money, the ideal size and features for 2 people. Our point of reference is a 2014 Melbourne 29D that we owned for 3 years and 18,000 miles.

One man's opinion.[/QUOTE

Hobbyists??? I'll take that as an insult. I've been wrenching on vehicles since 1977. I'm no hobbyist for adjusting my tire pressure, doing the CHF and changing my shocks thank you!
I figured that I'd get a rise out of someone with that characterization. A difference in perceptions.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #8

I've been working with tools everyday of my life since I was 17. The last 34 years as an electrician in commercial and industrial installations. I don't have any perceptions and neither do a lot of others here on the forum. Some of us just know how to get stuff done and don't need perceptions or concepts to get us thru life. With the attitude you have I'll drive right by you as you sit on the side of the road broken down.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I've been working with tools everyday of my life since I was 17. The last 34 years as an electrician in commercial and industrial installations. I don't have any perceptions and neither do a lot of others here on the forum. Some of us just know how to get stuff done and don't need perceptions or concepts to get us thru life. With the attitude you have I'll drive right by you as you sit on the side of the road broken down.
Sounds like a plan!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #10

chasfenwick - thanks for the positive post.

we have a 2015 31ul. aside from the multiple issues we have had we really
enjoy traveling with our "Moose". It's the right size for us (typically 3-4 people).
it drive nicely (haven't had to any driving upgrades) and the floor plan is great.

when i watch the weekly RV Shows on cable tv (e.g. GO RV, Big Time RV).
my wife say why are you watching these? I live my "Moose" and don't want
a different one..

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the October "get-together" in Zion !!!
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniesports60 View Post
chasfenwick - thanks for the positive post.

we have a 2015 31ul. aside from the multiple issues we have had we really
enjoy traveling with our "Moose". It's the right size for us (typically 3-4 people).
it drive nicely (haven't had to any driving upgrades) and the floor plan is great.

when i watch the weekly RV Shows on cable tv (e.g. GO RV, Big Time RV).
my wife say why are you watching these? I live my "Moose" and don't want
a different one..

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the October "get-together" in Zion !!!
Wish we could join you in Zion. We drove there in our 2014 Melbourne 29D, via Las Vegas, and we love that area. But my wife says it's just too far, and we are now limiting our radius to ~1000 miles from St. Louis.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #12

Try driving a 31ul with the smaller platform and then tell us how happy you would be PAYING every months payment for a new Rv that handles like crap.
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukester View Post
Try driving a 31ul with the smaller platform and then tell us how happy you would be PAYING every months payment for a new Rv that handles like crap.
By "the smaller platform" are you referring to model years earlier than 2017?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #14

what is the best thing to put on front end to help with handling on my 2016 Alante 31
DDailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #15

I will I don't know if I got lucky but I have a 2015 31 UL the only thing that was done to the suspension was a front end alignment We have 9000 miles on it and it handles great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk