Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #1

2017 Precept 31ul Wiper Blades

Yesterday we got caught in our first rainstorm in our new Precept and had a couple of problems with our wipers. The wiper on the driver’s side would frequently travel too far and slap loudly on the edge of the windshield. It even appears to have scratched the windshield. Then there was another problem with the passenger side wiper blade. Part of the rubber blade flew off. Of course we had verified that the wipers worked properly, but that wasn’t at highway speed. Even after the problems yesterday, both wipers work fine when the motorhome is not moving. So, the passenger blade losing some of the rubber was obviously just a defective wiper blade. My main concern is the driver one’s movement going too far. Has anyone else had any issues with their wipers while traveling at highway speeds?

Also, I just started researching replacement blades and realize it’s hard to determine exactly which blades to buy. I did go to the Trico website and entered my motorhome information and they recommend the Trico RV series. It appears that only the Trico RV Series 67 comes in 32 inch. Can anyone recommend these wipers?
2010 Chevy HHR Toad
Jday7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #2

Yup, same/similar problem with our 2017 31UL. When our wipers were off they were down on the paint. When on they left a large portion of the drivers side unclear. I adjusted them and then the drivers side went beyond the curve and put a couple of scratches on the windshield. I couldn't get them right so I took it back to the dealer who couldn't get them right either. There is a significant amount of play in the wipers! Dealer has ordered new wiper assemblies from Jayco which should be in this week. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.
charlie1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1047 View Post
Yup, same/similar problem with our 2017 31UL. When our wipers were off they were down on the paint. When on they left a large portion of the drivers side unclear. I adjusted them and then the drivers side went beyond the curve and put a couple of scratches on the windshield. I couldn't get them right so I took it back to the dealer who couldn't get them right either. There is a significant amount of play in the wipers! Dealer has ordered new wiper assemblies from Jayco which should be in this week. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.
Wipers are adjustable for both position and range of sweep. These adjustments are made in the drive mechanism behind the scenes, not at the blade assembly mounting hub. Does your dealer know that?
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

I wasn't aware of that and I don't believe the tech at the dealer is either as he was trying to do the adjustments at the mounting hub.

Do you know where and how the adjustments are made at the drive mechanism?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1047 View Post
I wasn't aware of that and I don't believe the tech at the dealer is either as he was trying to do the adjustments at the mounting hub.

Do you know where and how the adjustments are made at the drive mechanism?
No. My drive mechanism was completely changed out at the factory service center, and I discussed this subject of adjustments with the tech who did the work, but i wasn't present when the work was done.

In his opinion, the driver’s side wiper should be adjusted so that it does not go very far past vertical when in normal operation, because at highway speeds and certain wind conditions, it will go farther outboard. Also, when at rest the tip of the driver’s side wiper should nearly touch the windshield gasket. I think people just naturally think that, when at rest, the blades should be parallel to the ground. That is not the case.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #6

OK. Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

After driving through the first rain the wiper blades were streaking and the rubber was clearly not in good shape. My wife called the dealer and they didn't know and then called Jayco. They are Trico RV 67-324
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetters View Post
After driving through the first rain the wiper blades were streaking and the rubber was clearly not in good shape. My wife called the dealer and they didn't know and then called Jayco. They are Trico RV 67-324
Thanks for that info. A pair cost $60 on Amazon. Anyone who installs these, please let us know whether you are happy with them. I’m not especially pleased with the windshield clearing action that I have been getting from the original blades on my 2017 Precept. I wonder what brand those are . . .
Old 10-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jday7757 View Post
Yesterday we got caught in our first rainstorm in our new Precept and had a couple of problems with our wipers. The wiper on the driver’s side would frequently travel too far and slap loudly on the edge of the windshield. It even appears to have scratched the windshield. Then there was another problem with the passenger side wiper blade. Part of the rubber blade flew off. Of course we had verified that the wipers worked properly, but that wasn’t at highway speed. Even after the problems yesterday, both wipers work fine when the motorhome is not moving. So, the passenger blade losing some of the rubber was obviously just a defective wiper blade. My main concern is the driver one’s movement going too far. Has anyone else had any issues with their wipers while traveling at highway speeds?

Also, I just started researching replacement blades and realize it’s hard to determine exactly which blades to buy. I did go to the Trico website and entered my motorhome information and they recommend the Trico RV series. It appears that only the Trico RV Series 67 comes in 32 inch. Can anyone recommend these wipers?
yes i have a 2017 with the same problem wiper. They put a new wiper arm and it run over off the wind shield. Did you get your fix? This is dawn198316
dawn198316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

I actually have 2 different problems with the 2 wipers. As mentioned in my original post, my main concern was that the driver's side wiper would frequently go too far too the side going completely off the windshield and causing the loud slap and scarring the windshield when it came back. For the passenger side wiper it is position too low (below the windshield) when it's turned off so when being used it goes below the windshield with each swipe. This actually caused the rubber wiper blade to start shredding.

So, I ordered 2 of the Trico RV wiper blades and replaced them both and they do fit perfectly. However, I have not had a chance to get warranty work done to fix the problem. The dealer where we bought the RV is 150 miles away and was the closest warranty repair facility. However, just this month a dealer about 30 miles away just got certified for Jayco, but they told me they have a 5 week backlog. I'm trying to decide whether to wait the 5+ weeks for the closer place or see if I can get something done at our original dealer. My concern about going the 150 miles (300 roundtrip) is that they might have to order parts for the wiper assembly and then it would require 2 roundtrips. Not to mention we need to make sure we won't run into any heavy rains on the trip to the dealer.

Of course, I need to get this fixed before we take another trip.
2010 Chevy HHR Toad
Old 10-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #11

I've installed the listed Trico blades on my Alante and they do a much better job than the stock ones, but the mh sat on the dealer's lot for a year before I bought it so I suspect the rubber blades were shot
Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
Thanks for that info. A pair cost $60 on Amazon. Anyone who installs these, please let us know whether you are happy with them. I’m not especially pleased with the windshield clearing action that I have been getting from the original blades on my 2017 Precept. I wonder what brand those are . . .
The new Trico blades were and improvement but it still isn't as clear as a car. I cleaned the windshield and applied rainx and that helped the rain bead and run off.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #13

I had similar wiper problems on my 35S. It seems the lock nuts inside and outside the front cap that secure the wiper shafts were not tightened at the factory. The outer nut is under a rubber boot. The inner nut is accessed inside the engine compartment. Check them both. Life gets exciting when the blades fall off in the rain while you are on the Interstate doing 65 MPH.
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
Wipers are adjustable for both position and range of sweep. These adjustments are made in the drive mechanism behind the scenes, not at the blade assembly mounting hub. Does your dealer know that?
We have this problem on the driver-side when the speed is set to max @ highway speed. I always lower to the next speed down, but I would love to adjust this. Can you give more details?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalasha79 View Post
We have this problem on the driver-side when the speed is set to max @ highway speed. I always lower to the next speed down, but I would love to adjust this. Can you give more details?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Adjustments made by tech in Middlebury made a big difference but I don't know the specifics of HOW he did it. Just that it was done "internally." I have not seen any posts in this Forum or elsewhere from anyone who does know.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #16

UPDATE: We finally got our Precept into the dealer for service today (there was a 4-week wait) to fix several minor things (as always on a new motorhome), plus get the windshield wipers fixed. Of course we had to leave the Precept and all the repairs could take a couple of weeks (especially if parts need to be ordered). However, the service manager did tell me that he wasn't sure whether or not the windshield wipers were a Jayco issue or a Ford issue. He said he thought it would probably end up being a Ford issue, but will check with Jayco. Hopefully, Jayco will go ahead and let them fix it under warranty so I won't have to find a Ford dealer who will fix it. I was wondering if anyone else had this Jayco vs Ford issue. I do want to say that the dealer's service manager was very nice about it and he even hopes they can do it, but need Jayco guidance. The worst part is that I'm not happy with the 3 long (about 3 inches each) scratches the defective windshield wiper caused on the side of the windshield and definitely would like the windshield replaced. The service manager said that even though the windshield would normally be under the Jayco warranty, if it is determined that the wipers are Ford's responsibility, then since the wipers caused the windshield damage, then Ford would be responsible for the windshield also. I know that wouldn't turn out well. So, hopefully, Jayco will take responsibility for the wipers.
2010 Chevy HHR Toad
Old 11-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #17

I had my complete wiper assembly (motor, blades, etc.) changed out a few weeks ago on my 2017 Jayco Precept 31UL. To the best of my knowledge the replacement parts came from Jayco. Tested them while stationery and seemed ok. Don't know yet about going down the highway.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #18

Thanks. As I said, hopefully our Jayco warranty dealer will do it and not require me to take it to Ford. Hopefully yours will work fine on the highway. Since our 2017 Precept 31UL was new and the wipers worked fine just testing them at the dealer during the initial inspection we didn't realize we had a problem until we hit a rainstorm on an interstate.
2010 Chevy HHR Toad
Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 AM   #19

Wiper fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jday7757 View Post
Thanks. As I said, hopefully our Jayco warranty dealer will do it and not require me to take it to Ford. Hopefully yours will work fine on the highway. Since our 2017 Precept 31UL was new and the wipers worked fine just testing them at the dealer during the initial inspection we didn't realize we had a problem until we hit a rainstorm on an interstate.
Did Jayco or Ford fix your problem? Ted
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
Did Jayco or Ford fix your problem? Ted
Jayco replaced my entire wiper mechanism AND they replaced the windshield. There was never any mention of Ford. This makes sense to me because Ford has no control over how the wipers may have been adjusted by the time that a finished motor home leaves the assembly line, even though they may be the supplier of that mechanism.