Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #1

2017 precept 36t pdi

Hello,
New to Jayco, and to Class A as well !
If all go as planned, my wife and I will be driving 6 hours away to close the deal on a 2017 Precept 36T, and trade our beloved 2011 Montana Mountaineer 347 THT.
The 36 T only has 2,068 miles on it, and a good price, comparied to to other prices I have seen during my internet searches.
Just wanted to know if there anything we need to check really closely during the PDI. ANYTHING THAT JAYCO NOTORIOUS FOR MISSING ?
We read a lot of bad reviews online and are starting to get a bit nervous about trading. Not sure what to expect, as this will be our first Class A !
Also planning on towing a Ford 2015 Edge on a dolly (2015 Edge can't be flat towed) is there any tips, tricks, things to watch out for in that regards ?
Maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Hello,
New to Jayco, and to Class A as well !
If all go as planned, my wife and I will be driving 6 hours away to close the deal on a 2017 Precept 36T, and trade our beloved 2011 Montana Mountaineer 347 THT.
The 36 T only has 2,068 miles on it, and a good price, comparied to to other prices I have seen during my internet searches.
Just wanted to know if there anything we need to check really closely during the PDI. ANYTHING THAT JAYCO NOTORIOUS FOR MISSING ?
We read a lot of bad reviews online and are starting to get a bit nervous about trading. Not sure what to expect, as this will be our first Class A !
Also planning on towing a Ford 2015 Edge on a dolly (2015 Edge can't be flat towed) is there any tips, tricks, things to watch out for in that regards ?
Congrats on the new Precept! I'm sure you'll love it. We have a 2017 Precept 35s. I guess the best advice I can give is to really look the coach over with a fine tooth comb and have them run all the systems. On ours we found a lot of loose trim, a few missing screws and the leveling system was not calibrated correctly. Be sure to have water hooked to it and check the connections under the sinks. Ours were leaking slightly. Also, run the pump on tank water to be sure that is working correctly. I know its hard to think of all the things to look at during the PDI but just take your time and go over everything. I'm sure there are things I missed and maybe others here can chime in. Good luck and enjoy your new Precept!
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #3

Thanks we are excited about the transition to Class A ,but were seeing A lot of bad reviews I think we'll just form our own option !
We had about decided we would have to settle for a coach with 1-2 of our nice to have list, and maybe must haves, but the 36 T floor plan has all of them and then some ! Hoping no issues with PIC as there 6 hrs away, and were sandwiching this delivery in between getting ready for our daughters weddings on consecutive Saturdays starting this Saturday ! Gonna be a busy couple of weeks !
Old 10-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

We just did this 2 weeks ago with our 2018 Precept 36T.
If it's new, the alignment may be off from the factory. Our camber was off and the steering wheel had to be resplined (removed and put on straight). Made a huge difference in handling. The truck alignment guy that did it said in his experience, all Ford F53 chassis come off the line that way. You should have the dealer do it, or you can take it yourself and get reimbursed for free one time.
And as said, work everything and make sure it functions. Jayco has no quality control seemingly and many items, especially trim stuff will need fixing.
Before asking any questions requiring experience, ask your salesman what RVing experience he has. Then try and find someone worth their salt to ask. Ours never went camping in his life nor had he ever driven an A-class down the road.
Good luck and take the time to go through your checklist. Don't let them rush you out the door. Make your appointment for the morning so you'll have plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kh7ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

And make sure they clean it! You're driving a long distance. (We flew 17 hours from Hawaii to Albany to find a dirty rig we had to clean).
We had to have the service dept. remove and drill new holes for the drivers seat. It's made for someone 6' to 7' and my Mrs wasn't able to even touch the peddles.
We did the dolly thing too. Picked up a Ford Fiesta, 2013. The dolly has lights and electric brakes. The 36T is prewired for the brake controller. You just need to get the wiring harness and control module.
Oh yeah, the road noise while driving is quite high. We're probably going to install some padded rubber matting or something. We're resorted to wearing Bluetooth headphones to hear anything. Made driving less stressful.
When the turn signal is engaged, your navigation screen is replaced by the video feed from your side mirror cameras. I found the mirrors to be much more useful than looking down into a small screen when changing lanes (scarey!) so I removed the panel the Garmen is in to find the right and left trigger wires and cut them. Now I get to keep the nav screen.
The Garmin does it all, which I don't like. To change radio stations, you have to leave the nav screen and mess with it.
Please feel free to ask me any questions.

kh7ax

Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #6

Thanks
All great points !
I called Jayco, the 2 year warranty does NOT TRANSFER !
only the Chassis, and POWERTRAIN Warranty from Ford Transfers
Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #7

Thanks
More good advice !
With no Warranty other than chassis, and power train we will check it out , and walk if it dont pass our inspection ! I have no problem pulling or Montana back home with us, and will make sure they know and understand that as well.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Thanks
More good advice !
With no Warranty other than chassis, and power train we will check it out , and walk if it dont pass our inspection ! I have no problem pulling or Montana back home with us, and will make sure they know and understand that as well.

How did it go with them?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #9

Make sure dealer has correct tire pressure at 100 psi in front tires. I have a 35un when I bought they said they had aired up tires. They lied I drove 4 hours and it was terrible see pressures for your self. I did CH tricks added steering stab and a rear track bar. It handles great now
street rod 37 is offline   Reply With Quote