Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

2018 Alante stuck in North Carolina...

Well, here we are in my Dad's front yard in Hendersonville North Carolina.

We put the front bunk down for the first time, and coming back up, it hung up on the passenger side rail, after moving about a foot. It may be stuck on a screw head... the entire bunk is closer to the passenger side than the drivers side by about about a half inch.

It's not drive-able, and we cant find anybody that will do onsite service. Called Jayco, and they can't find anybody in the area either.

I tried to contact CW (I know, but it's a last resort), their on-line service system is down, there is no email address for service, and when I call and ask for service, I just stay on music hold.

Anybody have any suggestions?
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #2

Did you try this place, they are close by and do onsite service, they open at 8am tomorrow.

Mobile RV Services in WNC
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Thanks Sundancer, I'll call them on Monday!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

I had problems worth our overhead bunk too, although not as bad as yours. The channels that the bunk rides up and down in were very loose and noisy when driving. I tried first to add larger screws, but that only lasted a day or two. I then decided to use double stick tape to try and remedy the problem. So far this has worked. It wasn't an easy fix, I had to loosen the bolts on the wheels that travel in the aluminum tracks, take out the screws install the tape the put the screws back and then adjust the wheels back out so there was no play between the wheels and track. It took about an hour and no small amount of aggravation.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:07 AM   #5

It seems the factory does not make sure the screws go into the studs when they install the rails on both sides. Both of my rails were just screwed into the interior walls, missing the studs by about half an inch. As you said a screw may have loosened and caught the rollers on one side.

Can you lower the bed and check? I was able to find the studs, drill pilot holes then move the rail to the new holes and screw into studs. If you do one side on the top (or bottom) first then do the bottom (or top) of the same side second, you can repeat for the otter side.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

It's quite a problem, 'cause it's under warranty, but not drive-able. Haven't found anyone who will do on-site warranty repairs in Hendersonville NC. I may have to bite the bullet and pay for it myself. Jayco will reimburse me, but it will take a while. Sigh.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

On a good note, at least you are in Hendersonville. Such an awesome little town.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #8

I had the same issue with my Alante, the bunk rail on the drivers side actually came loose from the wall. The rails are only guides and do NOT support the bunk, the straps do that, so it won't fall. I removed both rails, applied Gorilla 30lb double sided tape (as did the other poster) re-drilled any stripped holes, added small washers to the inside (there were none so the screws extruded the rail material causing the rail to 'rock') and re-installed. The only critical adjustment is the guide roller at the top of each rail which determines the amount of side to side movement. They must be adjusted at the middle of travel to allow for walls that are not square (different width top or bottom) as if they are to tight it will try to pull the rail out again. I also made a clamp that goes over the rail at the top and screws into the wall on each side. After 3000 miles the rails are still as tight as ever.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #9

Well, I'm going to have a mobile RV tech come out, and pay for it myself, then wait for the reimbursement from Jayco.

Who knows, perhaps he can install the rear track bar on the unit in the front yard... LOL
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier