Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #1

2018 Alante towing a Kia Soul on a Tow Dolly

Hi all. I wanted to say a few words about my very recent experiences towing a 2011 Kia Exclaim auto trans on a tow dolly behind my 2018 Alante 29S.
We just got back to the San Diego area after a 2000-ish mile round trip up to and all around Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Capitol Reef National Parks in Utah. It was our first long-distance trip in the new rig and we wanted to make sure we had a car with us while we were camping for sightseeing and grocery shopping.
I did a lot of asking around about towing (dinghy vs. dolly) in preparation for the trip and never quite got the same answers twice. I did get a lot of opinions and advice which was very helpful but no real moments of epiphany.
I knew if I wanted to tow 4-down I was going to have to invest some serious coin in a manual trans car as well as all the required towing accouterments. (I don't speak French so I prolly misspelled that!)
We already had the Kia so I figured I'd rent a dolly for the trip and see how it went. I've towed boats behind trucks but never a car behind a 31 ft motorhome. Lotsa anxiety in the beginning.
Long story a bit shorter, we had a marvelous time with no (zip, zero, nada) problems. The RV performed flawlessly up and down hill. The car was an easy load and unload (5 minutes max) and my MPG in the RV still sucked!
We did multiple campgrounds where we were required to either unload the car or unhook the dolly and it was never a problem.
It was a great trip for us and the pups and we came back home rested and refreshed ready to wait out the next 2 years so we can do this all the time.
I will be buying a new, stand-up tow dolly that doesn't rattle and clang like a trash truck on a dirt road. I can't wait, Hurry up retirement!!!!!
All fer now,
Dave and Mary Hyde
Odinsvalk is offline   Reply With Quote