Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #1

2018 Alante - wire gauge from roof "solar ready" plugs?

Hi,

Does anyone with an Alante that has the "solar ready" mc4 connector on the roof know what gauge wires Jayco used to run from the roof to the battery compartment?

I looked all through the paperwork they gave me, and I can't find anything details about it.

My battery compartment wall has a place to with screw-on or cut-out a wall to access the wires from the roof, and I'd rather know what's possible behind there before I fire up the ol' multimax and make more holes.
npomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #2

I have a wiring diagram that shows 8 gauge. (I will be installing a solar kit in the next few weeks, and can confirm when I 'cut that hole'.)
SamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

I look forward to hearing what you find

Thanks for taking it for the team. 😁
npomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #4

Final answer - 8 AWG

Started the installation of the solar panels. Upon opening the terminating point near the batteries, I could confirm the wire size as 8 gauge.

This leads to a new question: Where do we install the power controller? Using the Go Power set up would call for interior mounting, yet there was no location sticker inside. When I inquired with Jayco, they said to mount the controller near the batteries. That is outside. The controller is not outdoor rated.

For prewired Alante (and Precept) RVs, has anyone identified an interior location for mounting a controller?

The terminating wiring was bundled in a small housing (inside of housing shown below) near the batteries and lift hydraulics pump. Here is an image of the wiring described above:
Old 01-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

Could not find your picture. "Old guy with a new phone" syndrome (grin).

Jayco customer service kindly sent schematic and location drawings for my 36B when I asked about the solar pre-wire setup. Bless them. Just waiting for Costco to put panels on sale again...
OldJags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #6

As long as the controller won't get to hot a metal ammo can that is waterproof might work. If you bolt it to the can then the can should act as a heat sink.
Or put it inside where it can dissipate heat and use extra heavy wire between it and the battery. PWM models get hotter than MPPT per some postings.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #7

Installation of 190W solar system complete on Alante 31R

Here is a photo collection of the solar upgrade: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QrNn5fLx5vzLFmJj8

The factory pre-wiring was indeed 8 AWG as indicated on the schematics. Unlike the Jayco trailers, there was no interior run to an accessible location for inside mounting of the controller. (I inquired with Jayco on this: their response was to mount at the terminating point near the battery tray.) My updates included:
  • 2 (two) Duracell 6V GC2 (golf cart) batteries 215 AH
  • GP-30-PWM-30-UL Go Power! dual bank charging controller
  • 10 ft 8 AWG MC4 extension cables (pair) to connect panels to roof junction
  • 190W solar module (GP-PV-190M)
  • all 8 AWG wiring from controller to batteries
  • Hinged Cover Transparent Lid IP65 Waterproof Plastic Enclosure (220×170×110mm)

Given the need to mount near the batteries, I placed the controller inside the IP65 box, currently secured to the battery tray. I may relocate that to the adjacent storage compartment (either inside or outside, TBD).

It's all working as a charger - tested it this week overnight dry camping. One problem still - the Bluetooth connection is not stable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've tested it with latest versions of both iOS and Android 10 with similar results. I suspect the app is of low quality - I will be contacting Go Power! support for assistance.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

Update: The Bluetooth issue was eventually resolved with the latest app, however, I did have to forget the old connection and hard reset the controller to get the app to work as intended. All good now
Old 12-02-2020, 05:14 AM   #9

most reading this post are interested in Solar Pnl and system installation. Here's a thread link I've stated to document my end-to-end solar pwr install.

Link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

thx Mark
Old 01-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #10

Mine is right by the door
irenearr is offline   Reply With Quote