Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #1

2018 Precept 31 UL roof marker lights

Lost a lens on one of the quarter sized roof marker lights. Want to cover before rain finds a way inside.
Anyone know best route to buy one of these lenses?

Thank you in adavance for any help
Old 08-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #2

These are what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-TL-03...-25&th=1&psc=1
Old 08-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

Lights

It is not an easy fix. Good Luck, search the post here. Someone had a good idea about drilling through the light.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #4

Thanks Mike. Looks like a good option to have.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

Thank you. I will take a look about
Old 10-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #6

2018 precept 31 ul front cap marker lights

Finally received the new lights. I do not see any way these things come out from the outside. It appears to me I need to drop the dark trim from sides and front over bunk to get access to back side of cap and then push the lights out from the inside and then cut and splice wires and new light from outside and push back in hole.

any and all help is appreciated

Thanks
Old 10-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #7

Bill,
Here is a suggestion.
1. Put painters tape around the outside of the light to protect the finish.
2. Drill a small hole through the center of the light from the outside.
3. Screw in a screw of the appropriate size so that it is tight
4. Use a pair of pliers on the screw to pull the light out. There should be enough play in the wire to pull it out to the connectors.
5. There was sealant on the inside put it did not pose a problem
6. Replace with new light. I didnt use any sealant as the rubber seemed very snug.

Good luck
Old 10-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #8

Thank you. This is what I will try. Seems a lot easier then pulling a lot of trim off from inside.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #9

I just changed one last week. A few suggestions, when you splice the two wires, cut them at different lengths so the splices don't line up when trying to push the wire back through the hole, it's a small hole. Also, push the black rubber sleeve in first, then the light. I tried to push them in together and could not get it started. Slid the sleeve off and put that in, then the light... no problem.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #10

31 ul marker lights

thanks for the help. After some pushing and cussing got new light in. Wish I had read the take bushing off light before the wrestling began.
Drill hole insert screw was awesome. Wiggle and jiggle and out cam light.
That’s all that came out. No wires. WTH.
Looked into the black cocoon left by vacating light and saw a white wire.
Awesome. Grabbed it and pulled a little. Poked a bigger hole with needle nose and out came wire. The whole wire out of the joint. Perfect.
Now I get tear inside trim down to re wire the light. Hope those screws are Phillips. At first glance they look odd.
At least front of coach looks good again. No broken lens. Guess this will be a good rainy day project.

Thanks for all the help. Hope the wires are easy to find inside.

Stay well
Old 10-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #11

Interior screws

Regarding the screws . . . those look like Phillips, but they are not. You can use a Phillips head in a pinch, but the correct bit is a square head. (I don't recall the size, but it is a common size if you have a few bits in a set.) Using the square bit will make a positive difference in any work on the motorhome. (All of the cabin screws in our 2018 Alante use the same square bit.)
SamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #12

Gotcha. Makes sense. Like a #1 Robertson. Thanks for the help. Saved me some more cussing.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #13

I make it a point to solder all wire joints with heat shrink and coat with liquid electrical tape...JMHO
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:50 PM   #14

Ok, so how do you get to the back of the lights to wire them up. My broken light came out in pieces and the wires fell back into the overhead. I lowered the bunk, 31UL, and removed the upholstered side panels at the ceiling, the corner pieces and took the screws out of the front cover that runs width wise. I took out 5 screws along the top and then took out 4 screws holding the vertical panel to the head liner pieces that are even with the top of the windshield. Now what? I can pull this panel back and see the glob of sealant that was holding the wires in place and found the wago connectors that had the wires. I am able to pull the wago connector through the gap between the lower vertical panel and the head liner but the new light wires are way too short to reach. What is holding on this panel. I can push a putty knife through between the ceiling headliner and this 3 piece panel in most places but there are no more visible screws. The 3 piece panel I am trying to remove appears to be made of 3 pieces of wood covered in the same upholstery as the side panels already removed. When viewed from the bunk, there is a vertical part that comes down from the ceiling about 4 inches, then a horizontal part that goes towards the windshield about 4 inches, the the last vertical part drops down about 8 inches and ends at the headliner that is even with the windshield and hides the roll down shade. I can wiggle it back and forth and like I said, I can see up into the back of the marker lights but things will be so much easier if this panel can be removed.
gkhamrhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:37 AM   #15

Here is a disassembled view

Here are some photos of the removed panels. I recall a lot of screws needed to be removed. Hopefully, this helps.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:41 AM   #16

Great pictures! That is exactly what I have. In the first photo, the piece that your drill is sitting on, I have mine loose at the bottom and took 5 screws out at the top. What other fasteners and were there and how did you get to them? Thank you for sharing these pictures.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:51 AM   #17

On the left of the photo is one of two corner pieces - those also came down when I did this. Note that I did this a couple years ago, so I don't recall all the details, like how many fasteners. I do recall that only the square-bit screws where needed to come off.

By the way, I eventually had to replace ALL of the LED clearance lights - they all prematurely failed. The factory must have been using a faulty batch on that run. If you have more than one or two that failed, you might consider replacing all of them.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:57 AM   #18

I just remembered . . . look at the black tabs in the long panel on that photo. I think those were inserted along the header between the frame of the shade and the upper surface. I may have needed to pull the cover panel assembly horizontally away from that header.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJ View Post
I just remembered . . . look at the black tabs in the long panel on that photo. I think those were inserted along the header between the frame of the shade and the upper surface. I may have needed to pull the cover panel assembly horizontally away from that header.

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try again tonight or tomorrow morning to see how to pull that panel down. There must be some sort of two way tape or sealant or something else holding it. I will try to see if I can get my putty knife to help break it loose at one end.

I bought enough lights to replace them all and once I get that panel down, that is my plan. I don't want to have to go up there again unless absolutely necessary.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:32 AM   #20

I am glad this was useful. In my situation on the Alante, I encountered no adhesive or seals - it was just mechanically fastened. I suppose it is possible the Precept has some kind of sealant for sound management, but I doubt that. So, before just prying it apart, i suggest keep looking for fasteners that are still connected. As I recall, once all screws were removed, it came down easily when pulled in the correct direction.