Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

2018 Precept 31Ul

Hi Precept owners!
We have been looking at small Class A’s and are current Jayco owners. We haven’t had a chance to view a Precept 31UL. Interested in wondering what the measurements of the shower are? We have looked at Thor Vegas and Ace and Also Coachmen Pursuit. The showers are very small for my 6’4” husband. If he stands in front of shower head his arms bang the doors and sidewall. He does fine in our 2016 Jayco Whitehawk 27dsrl. You would think for stepping up to a Class A you’d get a bigger shower. Can any of you tell me the measurement of your 2018 Precept 31UL? Thanks!
Mmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

Precept 31UL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmitch View Post
Hi Precept owners!
We have been looking at small Class A’s and are current Jayco owners. We haven’t had a chance to view a Precept 31UL. Interested in wondering what the measurements of the shower are? We have looked at Thor Vegas and Ace and Also Coachmen Pursuit. The showers are very small for my 6’4” husband. If he stands in front of shower head his arms bang the doors and sidewall. He does fine in our 2016 Jayco Whitehawk 27dsrl. You would think for stepping up to a Class A you’d get a bigger shower. Can any of you tell me the measurement of your 2018 Precept 31UL? Thanks!
The Precept 31UL is near the top of our list as well with one of the reasons being we like the floor plan & layout with a large shower. One of the few models we've looked at where I, being 6'5", could use the shower at least fairly comfortably.

Still on the fence given the large number of overall negative reviews I'm seeing...
tymzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Finally got home so I could measure our 2018 31UL. 36" long, 27" wide and 77" from floor to ceiling. However there is a skylight in the center of the shower and it's 81" to it. BTW we love this floorplan and our coach!
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955farm View Post
Finally got home so I could measure our 2018 31UL. 36" long, 27" wide and 77" from floor to ceiling. However there is a skylight in the center of the shower and it's 81" to it. BTW we love this floorplan and our coach!
Good to hear a positive review! How long have you had your Precept? Miles?

We've looked a Precepts at a few dealers (FL & NY) and will take our first test drive this Friday to get a feel for how it handles.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #5

We got it July 2017. Only have 5K miles on it but love driving it compared to other Class A's in similar floorplans that we tried. The heavier chassis and 22.5 tires make a world of difference. Also 6 speed transmission shifts better than 5 speed. This was a change made in 2017 models. Moved up from a 30' class C Coachman Concord. Wouldn't go back!

There are some 2018.5s out there. Biggest change I saw was the 18.5s lost the carpet at the captains and copilots chair.

Have had a few minor problems but that is to be expected. Just find a good dealer for service and warranty. Jayco customer service and warranty has been very good and easy to deal with. And the 2 year warranty should allow enough time to work out any bugs that might be found.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:46 AM   #6

We have the 2016 31 ul. The floorplan has been very livable for two adults and a dog. We're in our @5 months per year. The features are good with a thoughtful layout. On this model as you guys have said, newer the better. Larger chassis and tires and jayco made some other improvements. You'll spend some time debugging this unit, about 2 years. If you're fortunate nothing big.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
You'll spend some time debugging this unit, about 2 years. If you're fortunate nothing big.
Like most potential buyers we've done a lot of research re. the Precept. Perhaps it's just the nature of online participation in that negativity seems to outweigh positivity when it comes to reviews but we've seen a lot of very negative comments for the Precept. Bu again, folks might be more likely to post about their negative experiences.

I have to admit that when you're considering investing tens of thousand of dollars and reading comments like "piece of junk", "don't ever buy", etc. etc. it can give one pause. However I can find similar reviews for just about everything I own and am completely satisfied with!

We still think that for our purposes the Precept suits us best with respect to features & layout. Thinking positively I guess the thing to do is find out as much as you can beforehand but expect there will be issues along the way. Just hopefully not of a calamitous nature.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

FYI there is a Facebook page of Jayco Precept owners that has good info on it. Some bad comments however the good is there also! Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #9

One thing I would recommend is potential owners drive the units in all situations. Two lanes, interstates, etc. The units are driven from the factory to dealer and generally have hundreds of miles on already. Put gas in if you need to. And remember, adding a toad does not improve the motorhome driving experience. If you want to do 70 on the interstate try it out and see if you're comfortable or white knuckle? Try it out in town. If you're not happy move to another unit.

If you're not mechanically inclined somewhat don't get a motorhome. You will need to know how mechanical and electrical assemblies operate. You will use glue, a hammer, screws, trace wires, etc.. it's not a car.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #10

Just looking at the 31 UL

Howdy everyone,
I just joined this forum; we have a 2012 Class C thor and looking to upgrade. I actually just emailed Jayco these questions, but you guys I am sure much nicer, and I know that 1955farm has a tape measure!
If anyone could give me the width of the couch and dinette that would be great. Also, are there mechanicals in the dinette area? Anyone take it out and reconfigure? This floor plan is the leader in my clubhouse at the moment across brands....
lazinskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #11

Couch is 60" long and 38" deep. Dinette is 70" x 39" deep. There's some electrical in the dinette however have not removed anything or reconfigured.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #12

Thanks so much for the info! The Jayco layout doesn't have the dimensions which seems crazy to me- it sure looks like that dinette looks smaller. Looking forward to seeing one!
lazinskm is offline   Reply With Quote