Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #1

2018 Precept 35S SiriusXM Install

I am picking up our new Precept 35S this Saturday and was wondering if anyone has installed a SiriusXM connect tuner to the new Garmin Fusion unit head? I'm really interested in how to get to the back of the radio to plug the tuner into it.
dtp322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #2

If you have XM on your phone you don't need to buy the tuner. Just set you fusion to blue tooth and you will get XM in the coach. That is providing you have the right subscription We have all access. Get in on phone car alexa good luck
Rico 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

Norine, that's true unless you are out of cellphone range.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

I think the other thing to consider regarding using the Siriusxm app on your phone (via BT with the radio) would be the amount of data used if you are using it many hours a day on a trip.
2010 Chevy HHR Toad
Jday7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

I added the XM connect to my Alante just for those reasons, we boondock out of cell service a lot, and we have a small data plan (4GB), and listening to XM for hour after hour (I hate searching for a good FM station) used a lot of data.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #6

We have three vehicles with Sirius including precept. When you call and talk to them argue the plan is too expensive or you are going to cancel. With a little bargaining they will give you the plan much cheaper. Don't let them upsale your plan to super sports package or news package unless you want that..

Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #7

I installed the SiriusXM tuner over the weekend and it could not have been easier. There are 4 screws that hold the radio console in and I just removed the screws and plugged the Sirius tuner to the radio pigtail and ran the antenna cable under the dash panel. I opted to have the Sirius antenna mounted inside the dash on the windshield with a suctioncup cup which so far seems to work just fine.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:20 AM   #8

We tried that antenna mount and in trees and mtns were losing signal often. Ran wire up windshield column left of driver and sat on flat surface up there. It's mostly good now.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

What is this tuner that you all are talking about? When I touch the Sirius button, it says to.plug in tuner. What is the tuner?
JoePazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePazo View Post
What is this tuner that you all are talking about? When I touch the Sirius button, it says to.plug in tuner. What is the tuner?
You can find it here
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #11

Does this require a antenna also
Old 06-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
You can find it here
Does this require a antenna
Old 06-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePazo View Post
Does this require a antenna also
It comes with a 'hockey puck' antenna but I mounted a marine outside antenna on the front cap, was easy access by removing the side pillar cover and soffit at the upper front where the speakers are mounted (depending on model)
Old 06-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #14

Joe, The tuner is a device that sits behind the radio which JesseS put a link to to buy on Amazon. My 2018 Precept 35S had four screws that held the woodgrain radio bezel on which was easy to remove. Once you get to the back of the radio you will find a pig-tail connector marked SiriusXM. The tuner plugs into that and then you must run the antenna for the SiriusXM tuner. I opted to drill a small hole in front portion of the dash to run the cable back. I have the antenna mounted on the inside of the windshield with a suction cup. The may not be optimal as the best location would be on the roof somewhere. So far it's working good and I have not let signal.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #15

The XM/Sirius satellites are in the SE at about 32º, with an antenna on the dash and moving North you will force the signal to travel thru the length of the coach, the further north you get the lower on the horizon the sat's get in relation to the antenna and you will have more drop outs and signal loss. I experienced this many times and that is why I mounted the antenna on the roof, never an issue after that, even in Maine.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #16

JesseS, how did you run the antenna cable?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #17

JesseS, did you order the SiriusXM marine antenna form Amazon as well?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp322 View Post
Joe, The tuner is a device that sits behind the radio which JesseS put a link to to buy on Amazon. My 2018 Precept 35S had four screws that held the woodgrain radio bezel on which was easy to remove. Once you get to the back of the radio you will find a pig-tail connector marked SiriusXM. The tuner plugs into that and then you must run the antenna for the SiriusXM tuner. I opted to drill a small hole in front portion of the dash to run the cable back. I have the antenna mounted on the inside of the windshield with a suction cup. The may not be optimal as the best location would be on the roof somewhere. So far it's working good and I have not let signal.
I took the 4 screws out and found the plug in for the tuner. Dealer never told me about having to have a tuner. I.guess once I buy this, I will.need to subscribe to Sirius. Is this correct. I too am interested in how Jesse ran the antenna.
Thanks for the explanation. It explains why my radio says check tuner.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #19

JoePazo, The tuner does require a SiriusXM account. The tuner does however come with a 3 month free subscription and this worked right out of the box without me having to call them. I do figure on changing the Antenna mount to an outside mount like Jesse described but since I just picked up the 35S last Saturday I wanted to get it working quickly because I had so many other things to get ready. Just a bit squeamish about drilling a whole in the RV somewhere.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp322 View Post
JesseS, did you order the SiriusXM marine antenna form Amazon as well?
THIS is the antenna I installed. I removed the drivers side pillar trim and cover, dropped the electric shade (easy as it clips same as the one in your home) and unscrewed the soffit with speakers. This gives you access to the underside of the fiberglass front cap (no insulation of course ) to install the antenna. I drilled thru from the inside for easy placement, be sure to use a small bit, then place duct tape over the opening on the roof to stop any chipping of the fiberglass when you drill the larger hole.

I used only the small hockey puck portion of the antenna discarding the pedestal as it wasn't needed, also I added insulation under the soffit as well as the side pillars when I re-installed them.