Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
JWH

2019 32 ft Precept swaying

We purchased our RV a month ago
Love at first site, until we took it out for the first time
The problem is, I had all I could do to hold the unit on the road
The sway was terrible. I thought the JRide plus was supposed to eliminate
This
Almost don’t want to drive it again
Have never experienced this in the heavy equipment
I have driven
What can I do to solve this problem, have to get this rectified
Thanks JWH
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF. I am probably one of the few Precept owners who hasn’t had an issue as I am satisfied with how it handles just as it came when I drove it off the dealer’s lot. But you will soon find out that there are many who are/have shared your experience. Research the CHF (cheap handling fix) and it will just be the start of probably more than you wanted to know. These are big boxes we are driving down the road and there are a lot of factors that come into play. Do whatever is necessary to not only make you comfortable driving it but also to make it safe for you, your family and everyone else on the road. It can and should be a pleasurable experience. Good luck to you.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #3

What model do you have? Unless they have gone to a different frame than the 2018s you can't do the CHF. But here are two suggestions that will improve handling as it did our 2018 31UL. First, get approval from Jayco Warranty to get the front end aligned and the steer tires balanced. After you get approval take it to a large truck tire service center and have this done. You will have to pay up front and after you send Jayco warranty the receipt they will reimburse you within a couple of weeks. Second, check your tire pressure. Should be 95 psi in each tire if you have 22.5 inch tires. And I almost forgot.. ours handles better with the fresh water tank about a third of the way full. Good luck!
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:06 AM   #4

What 1955farm said. The alignment specs (caster) for the Ford chassis as delivered to jayco are different than Ford motorhome specs. This will help your steering to be quicker and tighter and the unit to track true down the road. The truck alignment shop added two shims to mine. If you Google f53 Ford motorhome specs take the alignment specs to the shop. You can also Google Ford f53 chassis specs and notice how the alignment is different. Jayco does not factory align your coach.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #5

Check the air pressure in your tires. If pressure is to low it will be like driving a bowl of jello. The average pressure most of us are running is 95psi.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #6

All of the above and then install a rear track bar. All F53 chassis need a little tweaking. You'll will then be good.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #7

Define "sway"

Sway may mean different things to different people. If you have a lot of body roll (or sway) that can be corrected with a cheap handling fix if your F53 chassis has the front/rear stabilizer bars.

If you mean the coach wanders on the highway that is a different problem. I had my Precept 35S aligned before we picked it up at the dealer but it was aligned without cargo. Tires are at 95 psi. Installed a steering stabilizer and have completed the CHF.

Our Precept was all over the highway when empty, could not drive in a straight line. After the above modifications the "wandering" is not as severe and I can drive long stretches with one hand but it still requires my full attention when driving.

On our trip to TN last week my wife drove for an hour each way on I-75 and she still fights the steering wheel. I've learned to drive farther out in front of me and not to fight the steering but it still requires full focus.

On recent trips 8 hours of driving (with breaks) is pretty exhausting. I try to limit my driving days to 6 hours or less. Pot holes feel like the shocks are nothing more than iron rods, no shock absorption that I can tell. I think the F53 chassis is a poor choice for a motor home.

If we were full timers and traveled constantly I would either add ride enhancing modifications or trade it off for an air-ride commercial chassis motor home. As it is for a few months in FL and occasional trips in the Mid-west I can live with the ride.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave55 View Post
All of the above and then install a rear track bar. All F53 chassis need a little tweaking. You'll will then be good.
REAR TRAC BAR
REAR TRAC BAR
REAR TRAC BAR
REAR TRAC BAR

My 2017 has a wheelbase under 200". It's all about wheelbase. Too little, you will have the "tail wagging the dog" affect.

I installed the henderson rear trac bar. Friend helped me install it.
BIG IMPROVEMENT
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #9

2015 Precept 31UL here. I had the same problem, but CHF on front SWAY BAR, a safety steer kit, and 90lbs in my 19.5 tires made all the difference. MUCH more confidence on the road, and wandering is at a minimum.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote