Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

2019 Precept 31UL

Looking at upgrading to a Precept 31 UL. Looking for any pros or cons and insight on this model. Retiring next spring, moving to Washington State from Illinois and looking to travel.
Corinne57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:03 AM   #2

I have a 2016. Nice layout for two people and the occasional grandkid. I think the newer model has a tank water heater which has less of a learning curve than the tankless. The radio/navigation system has never been a strong point over the years. You may have a few minor problems with trim and assembly and especially your dealer on scheduling a fix. (I do my own repair work when possible since it's easier than messing with dealer). Before purchasing drive it at road speed, I suggest interstate with a lot of trucks and faster the better to see if you like ride and handling. Many of us do our own upgrades in this area but it might be fine with you.
Jayco customer service is generally good when in warranty. Do a complete shakedown of every system before accepting delivery. It will save you some grief.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #3

Great floor plan and many terrific features for the money, but agree that quality is a problem with not only Jayco, but most manufacturers these days. We have a 2018 31UL and despite spending 3+ days at dealer fixing issues at delivery and a number of subsequent trips for warranty issues, we still like the features of the coach. If you want more details, feel free to send me a private message and I'll gladly give you all of the "good, bad and ugly".
Nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

We have a 2019 and traded in a 29’ FR3. We really like the floor plan on it and with the opposing slides up front there is a lot more room to move around. We feel it is quieter driving down the road than our FR and with the bigger tires it definitely handles better.
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #5

Hi we also have a 31UL a 2016, I'll admit we've had our share of problems with the coach, nothing to major. Had the rear a.c. unit and the entrance door due to misaligned door jamb replaced.
I was so disappointed with my dealer that I went directly to Jayco and that's how I got things done!
Any small problems I deal with my self. That being said it's a lot of coach for the money, perfect size for two and a pet if you must. All the conveniences of home. I wish mine had 22.5 inch wheels!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #6

Hello Corinne57,
We just purchased a 2020 31UL in May, we've had it out twice and will have three more trips by the end of October. So far we are loving it. All systems are working just fine. We heard about handling issues so we had some stabilizing thing added before we even took it home (sorry, I can't remember what it's called). Both of us drive it and it handles just fine even with 2 semis passing us at the same time. We tow a Honda Fit and you wouldn't even know its there. The layout is perfect for us.

Someone mentioned the hot water tank, its 10 gallons.

We just received notice that Jayco has a recall on the generator timer, its not keeping time correctly. Our dealer has the part ordered for us. We've only run the generator maybe total of an hour and the timer reads 22 hours.

If you are purchasing new, buy your unit in Washington, since that is where your warrenty work will be done. If you are purchasing used it doesn't matter as much.
Twoshadycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

We just purchased 2020 31UL in early Oct. Had it out twice. Little scary first time driving...but second time was great. Love the lay out. I show dogs and it is so nice to have everything where I can get to it and dog crates secured in MH. This is our first MH. We are learning a lot on this forum and have already had rig in the shop for warranty work. Valley RV Supercenter has been really great in Kent, WA. We live in Puyallup. The shower is great. 10 gal hotwater tank. Not a fan of the love seat to use as bed but it sits well and I rode 100 miles on that seat. Two seat belts on the love seat and four on the dinette. My sister loves the over head bunk but we are looking for a different ladder to use to access the bed. So far loving it...
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

Thumbs up We love the 31UL

We purchased our 2019 Jayco Precept 31UL on April 23. Since then we traveled to New Hampshire and Massachusetts at the end of May. In July, we went West on a 7,000 mile+ trip with 31 RV Park stops. Just before we left we had a trac bar installed and this helped with the wind and big trucks going by. There have been a few minor issues I fixed and am still trying to decide how to mitigate the bed slide runners from getting roughed up by the exposed screw heads. Had to add screws at the head of the bed to keep it from sliding and 2 gate hinges on the plywood extension to keep the piano hinges from coming loose. Works great. Lots of storage inside and out and room in the living area. I had to install a cable/satellite connection in the dinette slide running up to a connection inside because the dealer was never able to get the TV to work from the connections in the Water Compartment. It is a combination of the coax cables not connected properly at the factory and maybe because Direct TV needs special splitters. We are now in Naples FL for 5 months and loving not picking up and moving every few days. Coleman Max A/Cs work better than prior RVs except for the Carriers in the Mobile Suites. Of the prior 7 RVs, 6 fifth wheels and a Class C, we think this is the best one. 8.4 mpg and I can get almost 600 miles on a tank before feeling uncomfortable about needing fuel. All in all, I would highly recommend the 31UL
jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #9

Could you please send me the good, bad and the ugly. Thanks.
John41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #10

Very happy with our 2018 32UL, bought it used in March of 2020. Any problems had already been worked out. So far my only "breakdown" problem has been with the steps not working which I was able to fix with an $8 automatic resetting fuse. Jayco sent me wiring diagrams which were very helpful.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote