Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

2019 Precept Prestige Ethernet

I am the proud new owner of a Precept Prestige 36H. So far so good. I see what appears to be an ethernet cable or a land line cable under the TV that raises up for viewing. One end is not connected to anything and I can't see where it goes or comes from. Any idea what this may be for?
Thanks.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

It may be a car6 cable with HDMI adapter. This would go to HDMI input on tv to be used for your blue ray player.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
It may be a car6 cable with HDMI adapter. This would go to HDMI input on tv to be used for your blue ray player.
If it is for blue ray player, the cat6 to hdmi adapter will look similar to this at the tv …… this is the adapter at my main cabin tv and outside tv for the blue ray player ……

Attached Thumbnails
adapter_1.jpg  
Old 06-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I guess they went with ethernet due to the distance. I don't know why it's not connected to the tv or Bluray,though. I haven't tried them yet so I don't know what works.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

The area under the elevator tv is a mess for many of us. A rats nest with cables unplugged, coax connectors not crimped, and wires that get hung in the elevator. Fix it your self or get the dealer to do it. Preferably before you go camping.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. Actually, everything works (I just checked about an hour ago). So, for me, the mystery remains as to why one end of the cable is just laying there not connected to anything(and where does the other end terminate?). Maybe it's due to different configurations of the models so it's cheaper to just wire them with everything that might be used. Oh well, if it ain't broke don't fix it, I guess.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #7

CAT6 has the same band rating as HDMI and is better because it is shielded so it has far less issues with picking up interference. CAT 6 is so efficient at carrying data signals (which is all that HDMI carries) that technology has not caught up with CAT 6's capabilities.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #8

I was surprised to see CAT6 cables on my 2016 35US but after a bit of research I see the advantages. The only cables I had that were not connected were coax for a satellite hookup. I've only played DVD's through the kitchen TV, that AV switcher is a complex piece of hardware so I hope the grandkids don't ask for outdoor movies
Old 06-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
I was surprised to see CAT6 cables on my 2016 35US but after a bit of research I see the advantages. The only cables I had that were not connected were coax for a satellite hookup. I've only played DVD's through the kitchen TV, that AV switcher is a complex piece of hardware so I hope the grandkids don't ask for outdoor movies
I think I figured out what the Cat 5 (or 6) cable is for. It's to connect the BluRay player to a wired lan. I assume to play content to/from the network.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD36H View Post
I think I figured out what the Cat 5 (or 6) cable is for. It's to connect the BluRay player to a wired lan. I assume to play content to/from the network.
There’s no network. The CAT 5 or 6 cables are used in place of more expensive hdmi cables for connecting all your TVs to the blue ray player. Read this thread from the beginning.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #11

No, there's no built-in network in the coach. It is to connect a wireless router to the BluRay player.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
No, there's no built-in network in the coach. It is to connect a wireless router to the BluRay player.
Again, no. Why would you connect a wireless router to a blue ray player?

Please read this thread from the beginning. The cat cable is ONLY there to send AV to all your tv’s. There is no networking.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Again, no. Why would you connect a wireless router to a blue ray player?

Please read this thread from the beginning. The cat cable is ONLY there to send AV to all your tv’s. There is no networking.
I am quoting from the Sony user guide but... whatever floats your boat.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #14

Sony did not build your RV sir, they only supplied products used by the builder.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #15

Sony did build the BluRay player that is in the RV. I said NOTHING about a LAN built into the RV I said it can connect to a router to access a LAN. I’m done with you. Trying to explain to a thinks-he- knows-it-all is futile and non-productive.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Sony did build the BluRay player that is in the RV. I said NOTHING about a LAN built into the RV I said it can connect to a router to access a LAN. I’m done with you. Trying to explain to a thinks-he- knows-it-all is futile and non-productive.
I certainly don’t know it all, but I do know that the OP and original thread along with some comments were discussing Ethernet cable in regards to a LAN in the coach. I merely was pointing out that the cable is there for AV use only, not a LAN. Your comments were off topic and adding to the confusion regarding CAT cable in our coaches.

I believe the subject has been beat to death so along with you, I also am done.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
I certainly don’t know it all, but I do know that the OP and original thread along with some comments were discussing Ethernet cable in regards to a LAN in the coach. I merely was pointing out that the cable is there for AV use only, not a LAN. Your comments were off topic and adding to the confusion regarding CAT cable in our coaches.

I believe the subject has been beat to death so along with you, I also am done.

I agree with Nick!!
Closed Thread