Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #1

2020 Precept 31UL Purchase: Advice?

New to this forum. I am close to "pulling the trigger" on this one .... if I can get the seller to move just a wee bit on price: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...-31ul_rv-50801

I recently sold my old '07 WBGO Outlook 31C and now I miss the RV (it was a good one; some of the newer ones, not so much.) Reading some of the many reviews on the Jayco 31UL has me nervous (there were many "Excellent/Love it" reviews but a LOT of really bad ones .... mostly about terrible construction.) I guess it's a "given" that nearly the whole industry has pretty much cratered re quality (perhaps the super high-end coaches excepted?) Still, I would very much appreciate comments from real Jayco owners of this coach (or similar ones.) I've owned 2 RVs and driven them for 40,000 miles or so, but I feel a bit "lost at sea" on this one ..... it sure "checks all my boxes". Little stuff is no problem as I am a shade tree wrencher and DIYer (but I no longer get on the roof.)

TIA, of course. Safe travels and good times to ya.

Ed Sievers in Denver
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #2

Can't answer any of your questions, but I'm sure someone will. Just want to say,
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2022, 08:35 PM   #3

Thanks, Grumpy.

Oh- I forgot to mention ....... a PM would work just fine, folks. Would appreciate your input, for sure. Big, hard-earned bucks on the line ya know.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:13 AM   #4

We have the same model - bought it new a couple years ago. Have had a couple glitches, one that the Ford dealer handled. Others I took care of. Not sure that the microwave in that one is a convection model; ours is not, and from the picture (hard to tell) it appears to be the same as ours.

I'll PM you my email address and we can "chat" if you like.

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:17 AM   #5

We have a 2018 31UL and we're on the "love it" side. Bought it used, which I think is the way to go, let's the first buyer work out the first warranty issues. The only expensive problem we had was to replace the fabric on the furniture. The more I read that seems to be an industry wide problem so you may get prepared for that in a few years.
2020 F150 Sport Toad
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:30 PM   #6

We own a '22 31UL and love it. We've done some suspension upgrades (Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, new Koni shocks, alignment.) Had a few initial problems with miswired coax connections and Winegard system which the dealer corrected. Nothing else major, at least so far -- have owned it for about 6 months. It has about 2600 miles on it. By the way, I wish it had a convection microwave -- if yours does (should you buy it) that's great.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:26 PM   #7

Thanks to all. I put a deposit on the coach (Precept 31UL) and I plan to drive my toad down to Houston to pick it up, winterize it on their sales lot, and head for Denver next Tues/Wed. I am sure I will have many questions; here's the first one: For those who have weighed your 31UL ready for travel and adjusted the tires per load tables.....what pressures do you run front and rear? Dollars to doughnuts the service/inspection people at PPL will use the placard numbers, but I sure don't want to blindly use those pressures......especially running empty. I'll weigh my new-to-me rig at a CAT scale here in Denver when I get back, but I don't want to mess with that on my "quickee before the snow flies again" return trip.

Happy T'giving, all.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #8

We bought a used 2016 31UL and love it. I’ve done many upgrades and we love the opposing living area slides. Creates a lot of space. The previous owner upgraded the suspension and it drives great. Very little push from 18 wheelers. Can drive down 95 with just fingers on the wheel. I will say to keep an eye on the roller bearings on the 2 front slides.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #9

Hi Youracman, Welcome, I too am new to the forum.
I'm purchasing a 2015 Precept 31 UL Saturday. Like you, I sold my 2007 Winnebago 29B. It was a good rig and had a lot of good memories with it. Reading the posts made me a little nervous also but I feel people usually write when things go wrong in order to ask questions or warn others. I hope the owners that have no issues with their rigs are just having too much fun to take time to write about how happy they are with their Precepts.
JakefromWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #10

I'm sure you are correct, Jake. As is oft-said: Treat your customers right and they will tell all their friends, treat 'em bad and they will tell everyone they know.

My (sight unseen) purchase breezed through their $450 inspection without out a problem of any kind noted. Hope they were fairly thorough. This forum will be a big help going fwd; e.g., Parrott's note re the slide rollers. Also, I got a response from a forum member on the "best guess" re tire pressures to use until I get it weighed ....... as configured for travel. He suggested 85 to 90 (cold) all around for the trip home since I will be running empty.

I will have a very steep learning curve, I am sure. Never had a 50 amp coach or one with a macerator, or a transfer switch, or a Euro bunk or a residential fridge or a ............

Good luck with your new-to-you ride. Hopefully we both will be happy "ex WBGO" owners.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:26 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice on the tire pressure. I will have the dealer check them before our six hour drive home. We got a quick look at the MH at the RV show and put a down payment on it contingent on how it drives. I had them install a Safe T steering stabilizer on it. We are going to spend a night or two at the dealer to make sure all the systems work and we know how to use them. Good luck to you also. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
JakefromWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakefromWA View Post
Hi Youracman, Welcome, I too am new to the forum.
I'm purchasing a 2015 Precept 31 UL Saturday. Like you, I sold my 2007 Winnebago 29B. It was a good rig and had a lot of good memories with it. Reading the posts made me a little nervous also but I feel people usually write when things go wrong in order to ask questions or warn others. I hope the owners that have no issues with their rigs are just having too much fun to take time to write about how happy they are with their Precepts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
I'm sure you are correct, Jake. As is oft-said: Treat your customers right and they will tell all their friends, treat 'em bad and they will tell everyone they know.

My (sight unseen) purchase breezed through their $450 inspection without out a problem of any kind noted. Hope they were fairly thorough. This forum will be a big help going fwd; e.g., Parrott's note re the slide rollers. Also, I got a response from a forum member on the "best guess" re tire pressures to use until I get it weighed ....... as configured for travel. He suggested 85 to 90 (cold) all around for the trip home since I will be running empty.

I will have a very steep learning curve, I am sure. Never had a 50 amp coach or one with a macerator, or a transfer switch, or a Euro bunk or a residential fridge or a ............

Good luck with your new-to-you ride. Hopefully we both will be happy "ex WBGO" owners.

Welcome to the JOF!
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post

Awesome, glad it went well for you and yes you are at the right place the folks here are good about answering questions. Our coach is a little bigger than yours but I air down my tires to 90 psi and it seem to work great.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:20 PM   #14

Wait until you have everything loaded for a typical trip, then get it weighed. All four corners separately. Did ours at our local land fill, no charge. then call the tire manufacturer and get their pressure recommendations. Mine are Michelin and ended up requiring 90psi in the front, and 70psi in the back. That seemed to help as before I was at 90psi all around.
2020 F150 Sport Toad
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:23 PM   #15

Welcome to the JOF. Our rig is also slightly larger than yours but basically the same chassis and same features. I purchased it new and had a few minor issues but the major one I had required me to take it back to Middlebury for a warranty repair. Since then it has been great and I want to add that Jayco Customer Service was great. This was all before Covid so I can’t speak for current situation.
I run 90 psi all the way around and by the way you will like the macerator.
We took a trip out to Yellowstone earlier this year and the wind in eastern Montana was the fiercest I’ve ever driven in. It required two hands on the wheel and full attention on the road but overall I was pleased with how it handled.
Everyone’s situation is different but if I had it to do over again I would make the same purchase. I hope you enjoy the lifestyle again.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #16

Congrats on your 31UL.
We bought our 2020 31UL "slightly used" in Jan of 2021 just before the plague lockdowns started.
Chassis is a 2019 with the V-10. Mileage towing our Ford Edge runs about 7 mpg.
The dealer lied about the mileage calling it 2500 but it was actually 6500 when we got it.
The unit was still winterized from out West somewhere (we are in Florida), and was not serviced.
Needless to say that dealer is off our Christmas list.

We have put 7000 miles on it flat towing our car. No real complaints with that.
The over the cab bunk quit operating on our first trip out and so far is still kaput.
The screws holding the dashboard down have loosened a couple times.
The cup holders up front are awkward to reach and too shallow.
And, lastly, the radio just plain sucks and cannot be operated by the passenger at all due to the goofy placement.
But, I really do enjoy driving it otherwise.

Get a tire pressure monitoring system that will cover your RV and whatever you might tow. We ran in to a problem with the car braking system that would have been VERY bad if we had not had the monitors.
Don't neglect flushing and sanitizing your water systems.

I will be installing a mud flap to better protect the car and a sprayer off the toilet line to rinse down the bowl or whatever, as needed.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #17
TJW

We purchased '22 34g this April, just a little longer/heavier than 31U but same chassis & interior components/quality. So far driven 7500 mi. Glamped 16 wks. Installed steering stab, koni shocks, rear trac bar, sumo springs, rear air ride. Drives great aft. Mods. We tow an F150 toad. Added combo washer/dryer. Valance fell oof wall on OH to NM/CO trip. Charging selenoid died causing kwikee steps to die. & loss of chassis batttery charge. Easily found and fixed. We love this MH. Cant wait to snowbird in FL. In '23. We shopped many mfg. & designs and decided on Jayco Precept line. We have all the great goodies that MH's costing much more have. I have interacted with Jayco cust. service with good results. Just make sure you test & understand EVERYTHING BEFORE you take possession. Use your cellphone to record the walk-thru for future recall & CYA if issues arise.
7.3 L V8 (Godzilla), Toad: 2016 Jeep Willys, Magnum Pathfinder ebikes, Roadmaster 077-10 Dual hitch receiver, 2in & 10in. offsets, RV Rider Hitch bike rack, Blue Ox - Accent towbar, Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer, Koni FSD shocks (4), SuperSpring Sumosprings, SuperSteer Rear trac bar, SuperSteer front radius rods, TireMinder i10 RV, Garmin RV 785, Magna shades, Traeger Ranger
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
We purchased '22 34g this April, just a little longer/heavier than 31U but same chassis & interior components/quality. So far driven 7500 mi. Glamped 16 wks. Installed steering stab, koni shocks, rear trac bar, sumo springs, rear air ride. Drives great aft. Mods. We tow an F150 toad. Added combo washer/dryer. Valance fell oof wall on OH to NM/CO trip. Charging selenoid died causing kwikee steps to die. & loss of chassis batttery charge. Easily found and fixed. We love this MH. Cant wait to snowbird in FL. In '23. We shopped many mfg. & designs and decided on Jayco Precept line. We have all the great goodies that MH's costing much more have. I have interacted with Jayco cust. service with good results. Just make sure you test & understand EVERYTHING BEFORE you take possession. Use your cellphone to record the walk-thru for future recall & CYA if issues arise.

I haven't had our MH that long also we got it this June and have gone out in it twice, all of the mods that you did to yours I have the same also, all but the Sumo Springs which the front ones are on the way the rear will have to way until the first of the year. So what is the rear air ride that you have, are they air bags?
Old 12-04-2022, 04:17 AM   #19
TJW

Installed Firestone Ride-Rite air suspension bags between rear leaf springs and frame. Air lines were run independently so i can place more pressure to pass. side. We added the extra weight washer/dryer to the pass. side plus that side holds the super slide, clothes in closet, residential refer, stove, propane tank, camp side storage stuff, etc. When loaded, pass. side weights a few hundred lbs. heavier than the drivers side and was not exactly level with drivers side. We carry two e-bikes on a split (over/under) Roadmaster hitch receiver with a Hollywood RV Ride e-bike carrier along with the Jeep Willys in flat tow mode. Air bags allow you to level the suspension but do NOT ADD carrying capacity, nor do they "correct" for over loading or poor weight distribution. On the contrary, improperly used air bags can mask bad loading practices by making your coach "look" level when in fact it may be improperly loaded. As with so many things we RVers deal with, be smart and be cautious. Air bags can get the rear suspension riding up on the inflated bags and slightly off the metal leaf springs which softens the ride. I have operated the Ride-Rite system for years on travel trailer/truck set-ups. We are very careful with loading & weight distribution and weigh the MH as needed.
The Firestone Ride-Rite air bags allow exact control to level the coach, side-to-side (in rear) or front-to-back which improves on steering, braking and headlight position. We get the bonus of a softer ride in the rear-end. Parts & labor to install were a little over $1k.
7.3 L V8 (Godzilla), Toad: 2016 Jeep Willys, Magnum Pathfinder ebikes, Roadmaster 077-10 Dual hitch receiver, 2in & 10in. offsets, RV Rider Hitch bike rack, Blue Ox - Accent towbar, Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer, Koni FSD shocks (4), SuperSpring Sumosprings, SuperSteer Rear trac bar, SuperSteer front radius rods, TireMinder i10 RV, Garmin RV 785, Magna shades, Traeger Ranger
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:16 AM   #20

I had those on my Ram 3500, do you have an onboard remote to air them up? Do you happen to have an pics of your setup?