Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

2020 Precept Prestige Upgrades

We ordered a 2020 Precept Prestige 36H today. I want to know what upgrades are worth the investment. I have read certain suspension upgrades are helpful. I have looked at the Banks parts. All comment appreciated. We are experienced 5th wheelers but new to the MH.
kevinjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

After taking delivery and driving it a bit get the front end aligned and inflate your tires to 90 PSI. Load it up drive and adjust PSI until it drives comfortably. Most people run about 95 PSI with their Precept but some like the mushy 85 PSI.

For sway you can add larger sway bays, a second to the rear and for tail waggin' the dog from passing semi's a rear track bar. For general road comfort ditch the OEM shocks and install Koni FSD's.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
After taking delivery and driving it a bit get the front end aligned and inflate your tires to 90 PSI. Load it up drive and adjust PSI until it drives comfortably. Most people run about 95 PSI with their Precept but some like the mushy 85 PSI.

For sway you can add larger sway bays, a second to the rear and for tail waggin' the dog from passing semi's a rear track bar. For general road comfort ditch the OEM shocks and install Koni FSD's.
Dealership told me the 2020 Precepts had Koni shocks. I will check. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 AM   #4

First I would do what Vicr said. Then drive it a lot at road speed and pulling a toad ( if you're going to do that). Many members find the coach drives well and do no upgrades, especially the newer models. Just remember it's big and catches a lot of wind. A good number of us keep mileage to 300 or less a day and pull over in high winds.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

Adding dynamat to the inside of doghouse engine cover and bottom of surrounding floor areas including wheel wells under cockpit is a must do mod in my opinion. There is no insulation and the drop in noise levels is significant.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #6

Thanks. I sure don’t want to buy something I don’t need.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #7

I was surprised after test driving one how quite it was. I expected to be much louder. The dynamat seems like a great addition.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulie View Post
We ordered a 2020 Precept Prestige 36H today. I want to know what upgrades are worth the investment. I have read certain suspension upgrades are helpful. I have looked at the Banks parts. All comment appreciated. We are experienced 5th wheelers but new to the MH.
We have a 36U. Almost 10K miles so far. Just drive your new coach for a while, then decide if you need it or not. Only thing I've added is a 5 star tune, just because I can. Suspension wize, I haven't changed anything and probably won't. It drives and rides fine on all but the really bad roads. Given the cost to try to improve a truck chassis, I'll just ride it like it is
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #9

We have 45,000 miles on our 35S. We have done no mods on the suspension. We drove it for a while, then moved cargo around in the compartments till the ride got to where we liked it. Put the heavier items in the compartments ahead of the rear wheels and the lighter things in the rear ones. Ours drives really nicely, very little sway and almost no movement from trucks. Don't do anything to yours until you drive it loaded. You might save some money.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

Not suspension but well worth the money.
Screen door handle.

Attached Images

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #11

We have new 36H also

Hi KevinJulie, we also have a new 2020 36H and have only driven her about 1000 miles so far. She is currently in the shop for some minor warranty work and add 2 more batteries for total of 4 and a steering stabilizer. I’m adding the steering stabilizer for the safety and improved handling factor since she is a large vehicle. I’ve done the same with my Jeep and the stabilizer really made a difference on it.

I’ve been perusing this forum as well and found a lot of great info. My other plans for upgrades are currently very few, but I do plan to get the 5 star tuner as I’ve learned it really makes a difference in the V10’s performance. Then I think I’m just going to follow the advice of many and drive her and figure out the best load configuration we can.

With all that said, she is a really nice rig and so far we really enjoy it. Safe and great adventures to you on your travels.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #12

Congrats on the new MH. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #13

Check Super Steer / Henderson Brakes and Suspension in OR. Your best bet is the front steering stablizer and the rear trac bar. And to give you a more confortable ride Koni shocks. These are the best bang for you buck.

Mike 2016 Alante 31L
Old 12-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #14

I have a 2019 36U - rides great no suspension upgrades needed - I have installed snap pads on the leveling jacks and installed Maxx air vent covers - that's all of the mods that I have felt necessary to do + a washer and dryer
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #15

mitch1949

I also have a 35S 2018 Precept. I have added a Safety Plus steering stabilizer and a Roadmaster rear sway bar in the rear. It was a big improvement to the stability and driveability. But in strong cross winds my motorhome still has some sway. I am thinking of installing Sumo shocks to alleviate the sway.
Has anyone had the Sumo shocks installed and was the result noticeable.
mitch90703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #16

Richie, What washer and dryer did you install and how did you choose it? My wife wants one but I haven’t heard many good things about the combos and not sure I want the added weight.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #17

Additional mods to our 36H

I am planning to make several mods to our 36H in the near future. I absolutely hate that they did too many things with the radio/gps/camera display and where they located the screen. So, I am going to add a new camera monitor that mounts on the dash along with a separate Garmin RV gps on the dash so I don’t have to take my eyes completely off the road when using either one. I am then going to change the radio head to a pioneer that is apple car play enabled for ease of use and function.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #18

The wife wanted the separate washer dryer no combo so we installed the splendid units. They work OK no complaints - the dealer recommended the splendid units so I went on line looking at reviews they were mostly positive. You will loose a lot of storage after the install but it worked out Ok for us.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcapt View Post
I am planning to make several mods to our 36H in the near future. I absolutely hate that they did too many things with the radio/gps/camera display and where they located the screen. So, I am going to add a new camera monitor that mounts on the dash along with a separate Garmin RV gps on the dash so I don’t have to take my eyes completely off the road when using either one. I am then going to change the radio head to a pioneer that is apple car play enabled for ease of use and function.
Thanks for the response Richie, that is quite helpful. Hope you are enjoying your MH, we are. Happy and safe travels.

Darryl & Cindie
Old 01-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #20

Start with weight balance and proper tire pressure

There is bountiful advice on tire pressure settings out there, but simple saying 'set to xx PSI' is not optimal. As a matter of safety, a best practice is to be aware of the weight of the MH, ensure a balanced distribution, and maintain tires at the optimum pressure for the load. While this gives you the best defense against tire damage due to under or over inflation, it also happens to make for a better ride and control too.

Start with a proper weigh in. Ideally, each wheel, but if not, at least by front and rear axles. Use this information to confirm a reasonable balance front-to-rear. You are aiming for 1/3 of the weight on the front axle, and 2/3 on the rear (assuming a 2-axle set up with dual rims at the rear - typical of Ford F53 MH chassis and all Jayco Alantes and Precepts).

With the weight per tire data know, you then look up the recommended tire pressure for that load. That should be your cold tire pressure. Adjust as needed.

This brochure explains the process in more detail and provides example calculations: https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs...care-guide.pdf

A couple anecdotes from our experience:

1) when we took the delivery test drive, the steering needed to be realigned. The dealer then had that realigned before we would accept delivery.

2) Once we took delivery of the new MH, we later found that the tires where not checked. We drove hundreds of miles with tires inflated to as low as 52 and as high as 110! Lesson learned: Never assume the tires are properly inflated. Always check, especially before a trip.

3) We stopped at a tire shop and they inflated all the tires to 100psi. That improved stability a bit, the the ride was a bit harsh.

4) Upon weighing and calculating the proper loading, we derived the proper pressure is about 81 psi. Coincidentally, that is very close to what was on the tire pressure label near the driver seat. Lesson here: start with the factory recommendation.

5) Checking pressure before every trip with a gauge is a hassle, but necessary. So, one of the first mods to our new MH was a TPMS. Worth every penny! Not only does it speed up the start up routine, but it offers confidence while underway that all is healthy with the tires. Our system reads both pressure and temperature, and will alarm if either exceed defined thresholds.

So back to the original question of what mods to get for ride . . . start with getting what you have tuned optimally.
- be sure the front suspension is properly aligned
- set the tires for proper pressure based on actual weight
- get a TPMS and a manual tire pressure gauge

Do these before adding mods like steering stabilizers, shocks, etc. You may find that the JayRide is perfectly satisfactory.

Happy motoring!
SamJ is offline   Reply With Quote