Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #1

2021 Jayco Precept Prestige Wiring issues

Nothing but problems. I expected a few issues when we bought a "new" Class A but I continue to be dumbfounded by what I find and thought I'd share the latest "fix" so others would know how important it is to crawl underneath and same themselves the possibility of a catastrophic failure. I won't share the whole list of issues yet just get to the jist of it. As I was crawling around with a hand full of zip ties putting wires up and out of the way as they should have been from the factory I noticed some melted plastic hanging down. To my surprise or no surprise I found a wire loom that was too close to the exhaust that had melted. I inspected the wires and luckily there was no damage to the wires at least not what I could tell. As I continued my search for more damage I noticed that the wire loom was actually wrapped on the wrong side of the frame rail behind a riser support that had been welded in. No heat shield to protect the wires from the exhaust. From the picture you'll actually see an empty bracket on the outside of the frame rail where the wire loom should have been instead of on the inside of the frame rail where it is. Just plain baffles me at how a $150,000 motorhome can leave a factory with all the problems they have. This was clearly missed by every employee that touched this unit. It's 5 hrs to the dealer so I went to AutoZone and bought heat shield wrap, stripped out the damaged loop, installed the heat protection and sucked the loom up and away from the exhaust until I can find a more permanent solution. The wires as they run to the front run up into the dashboard area so reroute would be a real pain. It's 30+' to the rear and up into the floor so reroute that direction would be a pain. No simple fix other then heat wrap and deal with it. PEOPLE- Please look over or should I say under your MH for wiring issues. This one could have caused a fire and been catastrophic! I consider me and my family very lucky!
Attached Thumbnails
20210905_122829.jpg   20210905_122916.jpg   20210905_122944.jpg   20210905_124317.jpg   20210906_144920.jpg  

Limpin Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #2

Same problem here.
See my post from Jan 18, 2021
Old 09-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #3

Yes to all you posted. I also enjoy crawling around under my 2021 class c unit making various installs "right".

A few important I encountered:

LP Gas line to external port too long and dangling down could get caught on something; secure up with zip tie.

Various tank heater, sensor, and general ground mess of wires dangling low; secure up with zip tie.

Generator gas supply line run sloppy from tank to gen rubbing/binding on various parts of frame; protect gen rubber gas line by encasing in short pieces of rubber hose and zip ties at points of rubbing.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote