Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #1

2021 prestige 36h newbie question

Hi everyone, this is my first post so excuse me if I am posting in the wrong area. I picked up the motor home a few weeks ago and I have it parked at my sons house. We are working on a parking pad and getting shore power to the pad. We have been going there on weekends to put things away and get organized. Currently we are only using the batteries or if it’s really hot the generator to run the ac. So when I get there I open the door and switch the main power to on then turn the lights on extend the slide outs and do what we have to. When we leave I do the opposite retract the slide outs turn the main power off lock everything and leave.

This has been fine but yesterday when I showed up the auto stairs seemed sluggish extending and when I switched the main power on the lights seemed dim. I tried to start the generator but there wasn’t enough power to start it. I then tried to start the main coach engine and it was dead as well. This resulted in us having to boost the main engine to start it. Once started I turned the generator on and the main engine off. We we there 1-1.5 hours. Before leaving I turned the main power off but I wasn’t sure what could have drained the batteries so this time I did a walk through/around to see if anything was left on. Everything seemed to be off but I noticed the ice maker light was still on. When I opened the fridge the interior lights were on and it kind of sounded like the refrigerator was still running and the main power switch was off.

On the panel just inside the door where the main power switch is there is a panel for the inverter or converter ( I’m still learning so not sure what the correct name is) in any case I tried the main power button on that panel and when I pressed the power button on the panel the refrigerator lights turned off. I am not sure what changed from last week until now. What am I doing wrong? I thought I just had to switch the main power to off to shut everything down. Any help would be very much appreciated.

This brings me to my second question. When travelling we want to keep the refrigerator cold so do we travel with the main power switch to on?
ianpemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #2

ianpemb,
It sounds like you have drained your batteries. You need to have the coach plugged into shore power all the time to keep your batteries charged. If the inverter was on and the fridge was running off the inverter that would drain the battery over night. Make sure the inverter is off and the fridge is off. Plug into an outlet so you can keep the batteries charged when your gone or if you only have the generator it can take 2-10 hrs to charge the batteries depending how low they are. Hope this helps get you going. Also check out this post regarding how your batteries are charged. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-95484.html
Dave

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I guess I was trying to find out why the fridge stayed on even tho I turned off the main power. I think the inverter is supposed to be automatic after the main power switch is turned on. I don't think that I did anything different than the weekend before. I returned to the rv after a week and all was fine except for this last visit.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Assuming you have a residential fridge, it may be wired directly to the inverter and the inverter may not be controlled by the master disconnect. This may be as designed to allow for the fridge to run with everything else off to keep the food cold.

The stairs are typically attached to the chassis battery and they have been known to discharge the chassis battery as will the radio and a few other "always-on" items. If you plan to store it without electrical for any length of time, I would recommend a battery disconnect for the chassis battery, and ensuring your inverter and Fridge are off along with the main disconnect (salesman switch).
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #5

Not sure if you have the same refrigerator (Whirlpool) as mine on my 2021 36B, but when I am not using it I turn off the cooling function via the front panel control...can't remember exactly which buttons, but I have to push 2 at the same time for 3 seconds to turn cooling on and off. It's indicated on the front of the panel as well as in the refrigerator operator manual.
Paul P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:41 AM   #6

thanks, yes it is a residential fridge. I will look into the disconnect
Old 05-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #7

thanks Paul. It is a whirlpool fridge. On your 36b does the inverter shut down when you turn off the main power or do you have to turn it on and off each time you setup/closeup?
is there an automatic setting? I believe my inverter is xantrex freedom x 2000
Old 05-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #8

I also have the 36H Precept Prestige. It has the Xantrex Freedom 2000. You need to shut down the inverter/converter when you turn off the main switch. You also need to have no shore power connected to do this. If you are plugged in it won't turn off. I always try to have it plugged in but if that is not possible then I would turn off the fridge by pressing the two buttons on the front panel at the same time and then turn off your converter/inverter if you are away for more than a day or two.
It sounds like you have drained the batteries. The fridge will do this in a day or two if strictly connected to the batteries.

The fridge and inverter are both a little funky sometimes to turn off. The screens should go dark on both once they have been successfully turned off.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkie123 View Post
I also have the 36H Precept Prestige. It has the Xantrex Freedom 2000. You need to shut down the inverter/converter when you turn off the main switch. You also need to have no shore power connected to do this. If you are plugged in it won't turn off. I always try to have it plugged in but if that is not possible then I would turn off the fridge by pressing the two buttons on the front panel at the same time and then turn off your converter/inverter if you are away for more than a day or two.
It sounds like you have drained the batteries. The fridge will do this in a day or two if strictly connected to the batteries.

The fridge and inverter are both a little funky sometimes to turn off. The screens should go dark on both once they have been successfully turned off.
Thanks Barkie, This time when I left I did a full walk through looking for items that did not turn off. The fridge light was still on until I turned off the inverter. I will look at the fridge for the two buttons to turn it off. We are currently building a parking pad and working on getting hydro to the unit so hopefully I will have it plugged in from that point on.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #10

Hey Barkie, I wonder if you answer one more question for me. We are going on a trip later this summer that will require two ferry rides. One is 6 hours the return trip is 16 hours. Any tips on setting the RV with a fridge/freezer full of food over this amount of time?
Old 05-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #11

Looks like your question has already been answered, but yes you have to manually turn off your inverter, in fact the only time I can think of that you need it on is when you are running off "batteries only" and want to power the fridge, tv etc. Can't think of reason to have it on if you are on shore power or generator, but I could be wrong on that.
Paul P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:38 PM   #12

Does the panel also turn off the unit in the cargo bay or do you have to turn off both manualy
Old 05-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #13

Your panel by the door to control the inverter will turn both off. This panel is just a remote switch that controls your main panel in the cargo bay. Your ferry ride sounds like a trip to Newfoundland. You should be fine to leave your fridge on for the 6 hour crossing. The 16 hour crossing might be risky if you only have two batteries. If you had 4 batteries fully charged you should be ok. The other option is to fill your fridge with ice blocks and turn it off for the trip.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:36 AM   #14

Hi Barkie, You are correct! it is a trip to Newfoundland! The trip back will be more manageable. I think because this will be near the end of the trip I would expect us to have far less in the refrigerator and freezer. I was actually planning to buy a couple of blocks of ice to put in the fridge on the way(short crossing). I am concerned that if leaving the fridge on required me to boost the coach battery that it might happen again on the ferry. I haven't had a chance to look at the manual for the fridge because it is in the RV. do you have any idea what two buttons turn the fridge off?
Old 05-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #15
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpemb View Post
I was actually planning to buy a couple of blocks of ice to put in the fridge on the way(short crossing).
Maybe freeze an empty milk jug or two to put in the freezer and fridge?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #16

Thats the idea. We also have these plastic wash bins that I could put ice in
Old 05-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpemb View Post
Hi Barkie, You are correct! it is a trip to Newfoundland! The trip back will be more manageable. I think because this will be near the end of the trip I would expect us to have far less in the refrigerator and freezer. I was actually planning to buy a couple of blocks of ice to put in the fridge on the way(short crossing). I am concerned that if leaving the fridge on required me to boost the coach battery that it might happen again on the ferry. I haven't had a chance to look at the manual for the fridge because it is in the RV. do you have any idea what two buttons turn the fridge off?
If you turn off your main power and inverter it should kill power to your fridge.
On my fridge to turn it off, I need to press the "Options and Measured Fill" buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds on the front panel.

Do a test run of no power to your fridge in your driveway before you go. It will be a good indication of what is capable.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #18

perfect! thanks
Btw is the Ford edge a standard transmission?
Old 05-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #19

The Ford Edge ST is automatic but has a transmission disconnect which makes it flat towable.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:31 PM   #20

You can plug your motorhome into a 120 volt outlet with an adapter to keep the batteries charged. Even with a fairly long drop cord