Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #1

2022 31UL transfer question from new owner.

Greetings! Longtime RVer with trailers/5th wheels-newbie with Class C. Always good stuff here in the User Forum.

We have a new 31UL bought in January and due to family issues, spotty workmanship (yeah, the Winegard antenna was miswired) and such, we have yet to camp with it. Been two places multiple times: home and the dealer. Prepping for two month journey to family reunion in Iowa.

Question: the auto-transfer at loss of power from shore to onboard AGM batteries works fine and the inverter provides 115v. But should the kitchen outlets and single bathroom outlet ALL be dead? No 115v? I get why the microwave is wired out, but is it normal for all kitchen and single bathroom outlets to be dead? Fridge works normal on inverted power and shore. All other outlets throughout the RV work and all outlets work normally on shore power.

Pretty simple question and one I can live with until our return, just want to understand if this is normal functionality or not.

Thanks in advance and safe travels!

Eric
Federal Way WA
FIREBALLXL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #2

On my 31UL the only power from the inverter is the 3 TVs and the outlet at the passenger seat.
Do you have a residential fridge?
What size is your inverter?
Old 06-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #3

Thanks. I guess I'm better off than earlier models. Last RV was a much-loved 2007 34 foot Laredo but no battery bay or inverter or solar. All new to me but I'm learning!
Old 06-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #4

A 31UL is a class A.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #5

If you have a residential fridge, then you most likely have a bigger inverter.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #6

If you ask Jayco (motorizedservice@jayco.com) for the electrical schematics, those will show what outlets are powered by the inverter. You'll need to give them your VIN. Typically, the inverter powers TVs, residential fridge, bedroom outlets (for CPAP) and maybe one or two other in convenient locations. It's not typical for all outlets to be powered by the inverter.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
If you ask Jayco (motorizedservice@jayco.com) for the electrical schematics, those will show what outlets are powered by the inverter. You'll need to give them your VIN. Typically, the inverter powers TVs, residential fridge, bedroom outlets (for CPAP) and maybe one or two other in convenient locations. It's not typical for all outlets to be powered by the inverter.
Good idea on asking Jayco for a schematic. On my 2022 28.5 there is only two in the bedroom, one on each side of the bed, and one by the TV. I checked with a VOM unplugged from shore, and that was it. I'm sure this could be modified with more battery capacity and more solar on top.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #8

Thanks to all!

Thank you all for your observations/replies. Yes, I need to get the schematic for my 31ul Class A, but with departure on July 11, I fear there is no time for that and troubleshooting (if any is needed.) I was just hoping some owner out there with a 2022 Precept 31ul with standard (?) inverter (1000 w) and jack-knife sofa (left that out) would know if when they lose shore power, do the outlets in the kitchen model remain on. All others in the RV do per my outlet tester and multimeter.
Again, many thanks and, by the way, I've sent a message to the Forum Administrator to please move this thread to the Class A Owners forum.

Fair winds and following seas to all!
Old 06-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Thread moved to the Class A forum.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #10

Awesome username OP
Old 06-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Awesome username OP
Thanks! An early 1960's "super-marionation" sci-fi kids show from Gerry and Sylvia Anderson (think "Thunderbirds" or "Space: 1999.) Its what launched me into a 38+ year aviation electronics career. (Well, that and "Star Trek" and "Lost In Space" and our own space program.)
Old 06-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #12

Not sure if your 2022 is much different from my 2020 31UL but I know that a couple outlets don't work while on the road.
We don't have anything plugged in, except a couple night lights when not on shore power.

One thing to check before you get on the road are the drain trap connections on your sinks and under your shower. My bathroom and shower traps were snuggish, but not tight. The kitchen sink trap came off the sink drain causing a minor flood while the wife was doing dishes first trip out.

I hope they have changed the cockpit layout as the radio/GPS/monitor in mine is pretty much useless and the co-pilot cannot see or access it at all.

There is a thread from a little while back that has tons of useful information although his rig was a 34G.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html
One of his recommendations was a soundbar.
I installed a ROKU soundbar and it makes a world of difference when air, fan or heat is on. A generic soundbar would be better maybe if you are not running any subscription services.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #13

Hi bykerhd - thanks for the excellent suggestions and info. Inverter/outlet info helps me and confirms what I thought.
I've been going through the RV tightening water line connections, checking for cable rub spots, re-hanging wires "through-out", labeling switches, fixing soft spots in the shower floor, re-taping the AC interiors, and other stuff. I'll check the drain connections thanks to your suggestion.
Backup camera woes: I bought a cheap 7" 12v monitor off eBay and placed it on the dash center with a magnetic holder. I unplugged the video feed from the Sony and ran it (with extender cable) up to the monitor. Now my backup/turn signal camera outputs display at a more reasonable level with all the gauges. I also had to install a 12v outlet for power so I could run it and my Garmin. Available amps is 7.5 fused of the chassis battery. And I moved the doghouse USB to a more accessible spot on the side of the doghouse. Maybe I'll do some posts with my fixes after we finally get to camp in it (after four months of ownership.)

All the best!
Old 06-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBALLXL5 View Post
Maybe I'll do some posts with my fixes after we finally get to camp in it (after four months of ownership.)
I hope you do. And, best of luck on your journey.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
31ul, kitchen slide, outlet issues, transfer