Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

2022 Owner's Manual Contradictory Instructions

Hey All,

Reading the manual before we get our 31V.

Page 38 says slide out before level.

NOTE: The slideout room should be extended (with the air suspension fully aired up) before leveling jacks are deployed. Wheels MUST be
straight. When the coach is leveled, air bags are dumped of air which lowers the fenders below the tops of the wheels. If the wheels are not straight,
fenders and/or tires WILL be damaged. DO NOT DUMP AIR FROM
AIR BAGS UNLESS WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT!

Page 51 Slideout section says:

These guidelines should be followed when using your slideout room:
 Make sure the slideout is in the closed position prior to hooking the unit
to the tow vehicle. Tow Vehicle?
 The recreation vehicle must be level before operating the slideout room.
Water leaks and other problems could result if the slideout is operated
without leveling the RV.
 Do not place excessive weight in the slideout room. It can cause the
slideout room to malfunction and cause damage to the slideout.
 Do not over extend/retract the slide out room. Release the switch immediately once the room has been fully extended/retracted. Over extending/
retracting the slide out room may result in damage to the stop rod and
bracket.
 Additional support jacks are not needed under the slideout. Damage can
occur to your slideout room from improper use of aftermarket support
jacks.

We will definitely ask the salesperson about that just wondering what currents owners do.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #2

Jaycos manuals are very generic and cover many models, the 31v doesn’t have airbags either. The slide/jacks or jacks/slide has been covered many times and most agree to level then slides which I have always done. I have had 2 other brands of Motorhomes and their manuals both said the same.

We have a Seneca and it’s manual is a little more chassis specific and it also contradicts itself. I called Jayco and went through about 3 people before I got an answer. I was told that day to level and then put slides out to prevent sidewall cracking at the slide opening. You could probably call them and you might even get a different answer ��

I would not trust getting the right answer from a salesman, most of them know nothing about what they sell IMO.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Agree with Brian.... level, then sldies, then if needed level again. My 31V has a sticker on the panel near the slide switches that says to level before and after slide deployment.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #4

Thanks
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:24 AM   #5

Slide Out Jacks

Hey y'all...i totally get the reason for not supporting slide outs . But have you ever seen a camper flop on it's side because of the weight of a slide out ? I have and it's scary ... Killed people inside ... And so now I'm thinking i should use them but it makes good sense not to level or force it up but just let the jacks sit under the pins as support for the weight ...i know the manufacturer says not to but .. They don't make money on people who take good care of their campers... They make money by selling new ones and replacements because we mess them up .. The manual is designed to keep money flowing not to help the consumer .. Soooo.. With those thoughts and that said .. Don't you think slide jacks are safer than flopping on your side for a Tummy Rub in the middle of the night? I certainly do .. But don't force it up like you do your levelers... Thanks for Reading ... Great Travels and Safe Journey !!
BurntHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHair View Post
Hey y'all...i totally get the reason for not supporting slide outs . But have you ever seen a camper flop on it's side because of the weight of a slide out ? I have and it's scary ... Killed people inside ... And so now I'm thinking i should use them but it makes good sense not to level or force it up but just let the jacks sit under the pins as support for the weight ...i know the manufacturer says not to but .. They don't make money on people who take good care of their campers... They make money by selling new ones and replacements because we mess them up .. The manual is designed to keep money flowing not to help the consumer .. Soooo.. With those thoughts and that said .. Don't you think slide jacks are safer than flopping on your side for a Tummy Rub in the middle of the night? I certainly do .. But don't force it up like you do your levelers... Thanks for Reading ... Great Travels and Safe Journey !!
I remember seeing one unit so close to tipping that when they placed a slab of ribs down, it tipped over.

Wait, they may have been on the Flinstones when I was a kid.

Are there any other items in the manual designed to cause failures we should be watching for?
Old 12-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHair View Post

To me nothing wrong with having something under them to help support, but the main thing in my mind is that they should be there to prevent it from tipping, not to hold the slide up. You can position them in such a way that they have little or no upward pressure, but would prevent the situation you're concerned with. End of day, your rig, your choice, but I see nothing wrong with it if done properly.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I remember seeing one unit so close to tipping that when they placed a slab of ribs down, it tipped over.

Wait, they may have been on the Flinstones when I was a kid.

Are there any other items in the manual designed to cause failures we should be watching for?
…but that wasn’t a slideout those ribs were placed on, it was a serving tray that hangs on the car window for the carhop to set the order on.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote