Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2022, 06:31 PM   #1

2023 Jayco Precept 34b

Hey all,

New to the forums here. Wife and I just did a major upgrade from a 2010 Forest River Class C Lexington GTS to a 2023 Jayco Precept 34b.

Picked it up and straight to Decal shop for our logo and Ceramic Coating. Ride Home was as expected, little rough and definitely want to improve the ride as soon as possible as we will be towing our Razor on a trailer on most of our trips.

Have seen a lot of info on Sumo Springs, Safe-T-Plus, CHF, Koni Shocks, Track Bars, Steering Stabilizers etc... and was wondering if anyone could give us some first time advice on which way to go? I have looked into LiquidSuspension but have not priced anything out yet, will be doing that tomorrow.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance.
Inasogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inasogard View Post
Picked it up and straight to Decal shop for our logo and Ceramic Coating.
Sorry to hijack your thread, Inasogard, but I'm curious about what you had ceramic coated. Did you just do the front cap? Front part of the sides? Or the whole rig? How many coats? I've had ceramic done on our Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it never occurred to me that someone would do it on their class A!

We just got a '23 Precept 34G. I have only driven it about 50-60 miles, but a lot of that was through some pretty hairy road construction with bumps and very tight lanes. Overall I felt ours drove really well in terms of steering and sway, but the suspension left a lot to be desired when it came to bumps in the road. I think it hits the jounce bumpers way too easily, or at least feels like it does, so better shocks may be in our future.
LakeKlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:35 PM   #3

Having the whole rig done. Have a good connection here, it helps tremendously with the decals not fading and is a bit easier to clean.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Hey all,

New to the forums here. Wife and I just did a major upgrade from a 2010 Forest River Class C Lexington GTS to a 2023 Jayco Precept 34b.

Picked it up and straight to Decal shop for our logo and Ceramic Coating. Ride Home was as expected, little rough and definitely want to improve the ride as soon as possible as we will be towing our Razor on a trailer on most of our trips.

Have seen a lot of info on Sumo Springs, Safe-T-Plus, CHF, Koni Shocks, Track Bars, Steering Stabilizers etc... and was wondering if anyone could give us some first time advice on which way to go? I have looked into LiquidSuspension but have not priced anything out yet, will be doing that tomorrow.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, I had done all of those mods exceed the Sumo Springs and I can tell you that it makes the world of different when I install all of my mods. I have to let my wallet rest a little because I did those back to back, next I want to install either the Sumo Springs or the Radius Rod but I figure that I have time before we take it out again camping.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum! We own a '22 Precept 31UL which we took delivery of this past May. Advice we were either given or otherwise heard is to proceed step by step and see how the ride improves, rather than making all changes at once.

First order of business for us was a Safe-T-Plus Steering stabilizer, 4 new Koni FSD shocks and then an alignment. In hindsight, we should have done the alignment first, but no biggie. The handling and ride have *greatly* improved. I think we'll do a rear trac bar next and don't anticipate any suspension or chassis mods beyond that (but who knows?)

If you are referring to "Liquid Springs", that's around $25K, from what I've heard, and we're not going that route.

We did experience miswired coax cables and the Winegard polarity was reversed (both are commonly reported in these forums) -- this all took the dealer several weeks (!!!!) to work out. We presently are having a problem with hot water suddenly not getting from the Girard tankless WH to the shower, though the sinks have hot water. Aside from these issues we are loving our rig. Good luck!
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #6

KONI shocks make a world of difference in my opinion and
Attached Thumbnails
dory welcome.jpg  
Old 10-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
Welcome to the forum! We own a '22 Precept 31UL which we took delivery of this past May. Advice we were either given or otherwise heard is to proceed step by step and see how the ride improves, rather than making all changes at once.

First order of business for us was a Safe-T-Plus Steering stabilizer, 4 new Koni FSD shocks and then an alignment. In hindsight, we should have done the alignment first, but no biggie. The handling and ride have *greatly* improved. I think we'll do a rear trac bar next and don't anticipate any suspension or chassis mods beyond that (but who knows?)

If you are referring to "Liquid Springs", that's around $25K, from what I've heard, and we're not going that route.

We did experience miswired coax cables and the Winegard polarity was reversed (both are commonly reported in these forums) -- this all took the dealer several weeks (!!!!) to work out. We presently are having a problem with hot water suddenly not getting from the Girard tankless WH to the shower, though the sinks have hot water. Aside from these issues we are loving our rig. Good luck!
Thank you for the feedback. We have scheduled to get that all done next week before our first trip. This last few days, I have lined every shelf for the wife, made plywood carpeted bases for all the storage units and added the 3 compartment Clearwater filter unit. Along with the Morryde cord reel. Our first trip is in a 2 weeks. So far everything seems to be working other than small stuff from the builders just rushing through.

We are very excited, thanks for your reply, can't wait to see how it handles after this work. The drive home from picking it up was about an hour and a half, so should be noticeable.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:06 AM   #8

Also once you have everything loaded for a typical trip, get it weighed. All four corners separately. Did ours at our local land fill, no charge. then call the tire manufacturer and get their pressure recommendations. Mine are Michelin and end up requiring 90psi in the front, and 70psi in the back. That seemed to help as before I was at 90psi all around.
2020 F150 Sport Toad
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoldsbury View Post
Also once you have everything loaded for a typical trip, get it weighed. All four corners separately. Did ours at our local land fill, no charge. then call the tire manufacturer and get their pressure recommendations. Mine are Michelin and end up requiring 90psi in the front, and 70psi in the back. That seemed to help as before I was at 90psi all around.

Thank you!
Old 10-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
KONI shocks make a world of difference in my opinion and

I totally agree with the Koni Shocks I install the front and the rear, and it made the world the different.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoldsbury View Post

For me I went 90 psi front and rear, it ride better.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #12

Our 2021 Greyhawk Prestige came with Koni shocks, The "JayRide" helper springs, rear Swaybar and it still handled poorly. I added Sumo springs front and rear and it made a world of imporvement for a reasonable cost. I highly recommend them.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #13

I have your little brother the Alante 31L. Yes, on the Safety-Plus mostly for safety reasons then steering help. I have tried all the other equipment you have mentioned and more. I had everything that is in the Super Steer catalog for a FORD F53 chassis. When Ford changed from the V10 to their big V8 they upper the sway bars to 2" which is OK. All of this equipment made it handle like a Porsche. But it did nothing for the ride. I've heard people say their dishes broke in the cabinets it rides so hard. If you're planning on keeping it for a while and going to put a considerable number of miles on it, you will not go wrong with the Liquid Springs on both front and rear. Pricey but after 10,000 miles I would never go without.
Mike
Old 10-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micikas View Post
I have your little brother the Alante 31L. Yes, on the Safety-Plus mostly for safety reasons then steering help. I have tried all the other equipment you have mentioned and more. I had everything that is in the Super Steer catalog for a FORD F53 chassis. When Ford changed from the V10 to their big V8 they upper the sway bars to 2" which is OK. All of this equipment made it handle like a Porsche. But it did nothing for the ride. I've heard people say their dishes broke in the cabinets it rides so hard. If you're planning on keeping it for a while and going to put a considerable number of miles on it, you will not go wrong with the Liquid Springs on both front and rear. Pricey but after 10,000 miles I would never go without.
Mike
Thanks man, we did do those upgrades and noticed a significant difference. Happy with it at the moment. We are not full timers, so hopefully this will get us by until I can convince the wife we want to start racing in the rig and get liquidsuspension. HAHA!

On a side note, I went and got our rig weighed, but was only able to do the front and rear axles and overall, along with my trailer separate. No place close enough to us to get each tire weighed, so went with overall.

Called Michelin to get the recommended tire pressure and they are now saying they can't do that for legal reasons, but I can get it on the internet. Either way, anyone willing to help out here? These weights are with all of our gear loaded, except the wife and food. So I added some just to be safe.

This is with full gas and with a bit of water, we aren't dry camping this time.

Front Axle = 6500lbs (+Wife and food) = 7000lbs (Went over a bit to be safe)
Rear Axle = 12720lbs+410lbs (tongue weight) + 870lbs of clothes and buffer = 14000lbs

Tires 235/80R22.5 LRG XRV®LBS
Wheel Diameter 22.5"

PSI 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 105 110

SINGLE 3470 3645 3860 3975 4140 4300 4455 4610 4675

DUAL 6320 6630 7050 7230 7530 7940 8110 8390 8820

If I am reading this chart right, I am assuming the weight is cut in half on each axle since there are 2 tires. So with those weights, am I correct in reading the chart that they are suggesting the following?

Front Tires at 75PSI (3645x2=7290) and we are at 7000
Rear Tires at 80PSI (7050x2=14100) and we are at 14000

Any help is appreciated here.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdcwo View Post
Our 2021 Greyhawk Prestige came with Koni shocks, The "JayRide" helper springs, rear Swaybar and it still handled poorly. I added Sumo springs front and rear and it made a world of imporvement for a reasonable cost. I highly recommend them.

I'm looking at upgrading to Sumo Springs but for me it's going to be something that I would do this coming summer, I want to do it myself.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
If I am reading this chart right, I am assuming the weight is cut in half on each axle since there are 2 tires. So with those weights, am I correct in reading the chart that they are suggesting the following?

Front Tires at 75PSI (3645x2=7290) and we are at 7000
Rear Tires at 80PSI (7050x2=14100) and we are at 14000

Any help is appreciated here.
Thanks in advance.
You're reading it right, I typically run between 80 and 85 in mine. I'm a bit over what the chart says, but when I run it lower, the steering tires seem sluggish in response, so we keep it 80-85.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:18 PM   #17

Our 2023 Precept 36C says 100 psi front and rear right on the gvwr sticker on driver's wall. Dealer had tires set to 90 psi and steering and handling seemed squishy. Aired all six tires to 100 psi and it seemed a little better. 2023 has the safety steer stabilizer from factory. Any other suggestions for handling concerns at 65 mph+ in the wind? Handles okay until windy then it's a handful. Had an alignment and toe was off a little.
RustyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #18

A Rear Trac Bar will help, oh and look at the Koni's shocks, I've been looking at Sumo Springs also. They had my tires up to 100 psi and the CCC said that I can carry over 4K but I don't have nowhere near that so I put me psi to 90.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyA View Post
Our 2023 Precept 36C says 100 psi front and rear right on the gvwr sticker on driver's wall. Dealer had tires set to 90 psi and steering and handling seemed squishy. Aired all six tires to 100 psi and it seemed a little better. 2023 has the safety steer stabilizer from factory. Any other suggestions for handling concerns at 65 mph+ in the wind? Handles okay until windy then it's a handful. Had an alignment and toe was off a little.

Do you remember what the Toe setting the alignment shop recommended was? I think mine is a little off too but there are no shops near by that will align it.

2022 Entegra Vision XL 36C
2023 Ford Bronco (Toad)
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH 5th wheel (sold)
Justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote