Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #1

30amp outlet wired wrong - Now no shore power

This started in a different thread and they were so helpful. Helped me diagnose what happened to my new (never camped in) Jayco Precept 34g. Long story short, we had new electrical done because of an addition. When the electricians assistant re-hooked the 30 amp outside outlet (from our old camper) he wired it incorrectly. He had 2 hots so it was pulling in way to much voltage.

Now, the owner of the company feels horrible and is trying to make it right and fix it. But his contact at the RV place is on sick leave and trying to get into a service place anytime soon seems like a really big longshot.

I am guessing (at this point) it is the ATS that needs to be replaced but before I have the electrician spring for that part and hook it up I would rather be sure.

I searched youtube and forums and cannot find anything. All I can find so far is in my manual that says .... "The ATS will disconnect from shore power completely if the power coming in is not high
enough quality (i.e. either low/high voltage, or low/high frequency)."
But it does not give me a solution.

Any thoughts???
Slowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Team

First of all, that should not be your problem.

I'm not familiar with an ATS on a MH but 220v is not helpful to any rv electronics on a 30a rv plug. Hopefully some protective device was able to stop it but it still needs to be checked out thoroughly by someone competent in rv electronics which will include just about everything powered in your rv.

An Automatic Transfer Switch may have some over voltage protection.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #3

My Seneca has a Progressive Dynamics ATS, here is a link to their troubleshooting tips. https://www.progressivedyn.com/servi...ransfer-relay/

If you can identify what brand/model ATS you have, you may be able to find a specific online guide. But unless you have a multimeter and know how to safely use one you will be limited in your testing.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #4

You are going to have to take your coach to a real electrician or an RV repair shop that has a tech that is very well trained in electrical systems. Your coach had 240 volts run thru it and you're going to find all kinds of stuff "fried" like TV's, microwave, converter, anything that was directly connected to your AC system and stuff that was plugged in to a receptacle.
After you get an estimate to replace and repair all the damage present it to the "electrical contractor" that fried your coach so he can submit it to his insurance company.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You are going to have to take your coach to a real electrician or an RV repair shop that has a tech that is very well trained in electrical systems. Your coach had 240 volts run thru it and you're going to find all kinds of stuff "fried" like TV's, microwave, converter, anything that was directly connected to your AC system and stuff that was plugged in to a receptacle.
After you get an estimate to replace and repair all the damage present it to the "electrical contractor" that fried your coach so he can submit it to his insurance company.
That is one of the strangest things, nothing is fried. Everything works fine running on the generator. TV, fridge, microwave, all outlets, lights, everything. Nothing in the fuse box seems amiss. I have not noticed one thing not working on the generator system. That's why part of me is thinking its something strange like something popped in the automatic switch or in the shore cord and did not make it into the actual RV.

If things were fried I would be more concerned about taking it in instead of trying to find a simple solution.

Of course I could just be a complete newbie and have no idea what I am talking about. Which is very, very likely!

And I know it should not be my problem, but it is so hard to have a huge paper weight out there when we have been on lock down for so long and not using it. I am itching to get out of this house to a socially distanced place without a dishwasher or "to do" list. (keep in mind both our adult children, grandson and my mother live with us - hence the "new addition wiring" that went terribly wrong.. . its a bit crowded and the only one young enough to send to his room is my grandson. Haha)

I keep searching this 40100 southwire ATS and cannot find any good help. I can run off the generator but do not want to make anyone upset at a campground, I do like my AC and fridge!
Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Maybe it's just the ATS but it needs a competent electrician who is familiar with the systems.

Consider yourself and the contractor lucky if that is all that is damaged.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

You need a new ATS if it's not working on shore power, but OK on geny. Nothing would have messed up the cord.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Maybe it's just the ATS but it needs a competent electrician who is familiar with the systems.

Consider yourself and the contractor lucky if that is all that is damaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You need a new ATS if it's not working on shore power, but OK on geny. Nothing would have messed up the cord.
That is good to know, thank you. All of you for all your help.

I am the unluckiest lucky person I know. It is why I learn so much, everything goes wrong ALL THE TIME, but it teaches me things and could always be worse. I thank Murphys Law for my versatile knowledge in a lot of things, I have no desire to know. I have learned a lot in just the last few days from all of you! Which I am extremely grateful for. Glad I found this place!

After this is fixed I get to replace all my pool equipment because the excavator hit a wire and surged it when digging, he is not being responsible for it either. That is how my life is..
Old 05-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrey View Post
That is good to know, thank you. All of you for all your help.
Just had another thought. Your rig is 50 amp correct? If it is have you checked the adapter, that may have failed and saved the ATS.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrey View Post
That is one of the strangest things, nothing is fried. Everything works fine running on the generator. TV, fridge, microwave, all outlets, lights, everything. Nothing in the fuse box seems amiss. I have not noticed one thing not working on the generator system. That's why part of me is thinking its something strange like something popped in the automatic switch or in the shore cord and did not make it into the actual RV.

If things were fried I would be more concerned about taking it in instead of trying to find a simple solution.

Of course I could just be a complete newbie and have no idea what I am talking about. Which is very, very likely!

And I know it should not be my problem, but it is so hard to have a huge paper weight out there when we have been on lock down for so long and not using it. I am itching to get out of this house to a socially distanced place without a dishwasher or "to do" list. (keep in mind both our adult children, grandson and my mother live with us - hence the "new addition wiring" that went terribly wrong.. . its a bit crowded and the only one young enough to send to his room is my grandson. Haha)

I keep searching this 40100 southwire ATS and cannot find any good help. I can run off the generator but do not want to make anyone upset at a campground, I do like my AC and fridge!

Why didn’t you say that in the first place. The input relays in the ATS were open stopping the incoming 240v at the utility line side lugs but fried the control circuit which is a parallel connection.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #11

It works!

Well we finally got the ATS swapped out and all is well. I would agree, I was VERY lucky only the ATS got broken. Happy to be up and running. Also got rid of the contractor (who defended) and contractor because somehow they kept trying to blame me for the entire ordeal. Heck, if I was an electrician I would not have needed to hire one.

Thanks again for all the help on this! Never would have figured it out (and the electrician was no help).

Tags
ats, automatic transfer switch, electric, shore power, voltage