Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2022, 09:00 AM   #1

31ul questions

I am looking for a 2014 or newer 31ul. I think all of these models have the poop grinder and instant hw heater. My question is.....any problems with either of these?

I have the same style of hw heater in my house and it looks like it may be difficult to repair if on the road, as compared to the traditional tank style.

Having said that .....I do all my own repairs from plumbing, electrical etc, and will tackle anything.

Any problems unique to this model class a?

We have had for several years a 5th wheel and are selling it to purchase a class a somewhere in the 30-33 ft range, and my wife love the opposing slides on the precept.
Thanks.............Tim
toolittletime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #2

We love our '22 31UL. The Girard tankless takes a bit of getting used to, but if you use the control panel in the bathroom to set your preferred temp -- shower vs kitchen sink -- you only need to turn the faucet to full hot, and you'll get consistently hot water (unless you disrupt the flow, which makes it cold for a bit.)

We don't have a macerator, nor was it an option.

We found that Jayco installed a low-flow shower hose and head, which didn't always produce enough volume to fire the water heater. It's strange -- we spent a few weeks each at campgrounds A and B in late spring, and again at campground A in October, where we started having this problem. We switched it to a standard flow shower apparatus and it's worked well since.

If buying used, then presumably the gremlins have been expunged. Otherwise, cable connections, or lack thereof, seem to be a common problem, where the coax attached to input not necessarily the same one connected to the televator TV over dinette. We also had trouble with reversed polarity in 12V feed to Winegard. Dealer corrected both issues.

Check your undermount kitchen sink to see if any corners are sagging, or if sink can move left/right and front/back, allowing water to pass under the caulking. This was the case with ours. Easy fix.

We've improved handling by installing a Safe-T Plus steering stabilizer and 4 new Koni FSD shocks, and had it aligned. Big difference in ease of driving.

Those are the primary issues we've found so far.

If ordering new and can afford it, consider opting for the full body paint. We did, and are so happy we made that choice. We smile every time we return to the RV, and have gotten many compliments on the paint (we chose the Alpine scheme.

We love our rig, and wish you good luck in your search.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote