Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

35S Power Cord

On four separate days I have found myself sitting up and taking down the campsite. For the power cord I normally remove it completely from the rearmost small compartment and putting it on the ground. I then open the little trap door and put the wire through it closing the trap door and leaving the unused table coiled up on the ground. Has anyone found a better way of doing this?

When tearing down, I find myself repeating the process in reverse where the power cord comes completely out of the compartment I close the trap door and then l coil it back inside. Again looking for a better suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
On four separate days I have found myself sitting up and taking down the campsite. For the power cord I normally remove it completely from the rearmost small compartment and putting it on the ground. I then open the little trap door and put the wire through it closing the trap door and leaving the unused table coiled up on the ground. Has anyone found a better way of doing this?

When tearing down, I find myself repeating the process in reverse where the power cord comes completely out of the compartment I close the trap door and then l coil it back inside. Again looking for a better suggestion.

I put a 6" screw cover hatch in the bottom of the cord storage compartment. I feed out enough cord through the hatch to reach the power pole and the close the compartment door. I reverse the process when we leave. It works great when it is warm, not so much when it is cold and the cord is stiff. At least it is neat.
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post

That's what I do too. I can untwist the cord while doing this which is better for the cord because it keeps the conductors straiter which will let the cord to be cooler on hot days. Don't keep your cord coiled on hot days with the AC's running, the cord will heat up, voltage will drop and amperage will go up. I lay mine out so the cord doesn't overlap itself.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #4

I too got tired of fighting with the cord every time I had to hook up or disconnect so here is what I did:

I bought the MorRyde 56-001H Easy Reel Cord Spooler and installed it in the compartment right next to the shore cord compartment. I then purchased 50 amp male and female plug connectors and cut the shore cord leaving about 3' in the compartment. I installed the male connector to the end of the 3' cord and the female connector to the end of the remaining 25' cord which I had just cut off. Now when I hook up to shore power I fish the the female end of the 25' cord through the hinged opening and connect it to the RV plug on the short cable in the small electrical compartment. The other end connects to the CG pedestal just like before. To disconnect I reverse the process by disconnecting the cord from the connection in the electrical compartment and roll the cord back onto the new cord reel I just installed. Takes less than a minute and no more fighting with that monster cord trying to feed it through that little opening. An added bonus is I can now use a portable surge protector and it is out of sight and I don't need to worry about locking it at the pedestal. It may not be the perfect solution but it sure works for me.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

Sounds like a great set up! Just remember to get all the cord off the reel under heavy loads so it doesn't turn into a huge electromagnet.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #6

I'm with you on that. I too have an electrical background and I will never leave any part of the cord on the reel while it is energized. I just got tired of wrestling with that monstrosity every time I had to hook up and disconnect and having to feed it through that little opening in that little compartment. It's a much more pleasant experience now.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The power cords are already installed for over 50 years that way...........RV industry is a No Brainer Industry with their pour workmanship. But we just keep buying them. Who is the smart one in this picture?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

I've started to pull out just enough but still a bit of a struggle. Will try to make it better. My EMS is cable locked to the pedestal every time. Need to give this one some thought...

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:24 AM   #9

On my 2016 35s I cut the cord in the compartment and added a 50 amp twist lock ( the same as they use on the toy hauler I had previously) I mounted the receptacle end in the compartment next to the 120 outlet and placed the other end on the cord. This way i can take the monster cable out and uncoil it. I can also use a 50 - 15 amp patch cord if i am parked at home between trips.
Kevin201635s is offline   Reply With Quote