Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

36T - Water purification

Hello all, I am researching the best way to get (super) clean water for my 2018 36T. I bought a 3 stage CLEAR SOURCE water filter, which filters down to .2 microns. I am planning on using that as a prefilter and then using a 5gpm 12V UV light to kill anything remaining. The plan right now is to remove the inline filter and put the UV filter in its place. That will, however, filter the water before going into the holding tank. The issue is that bacteria can also form in the tank and contaminate the water there. Is anyone familiar enough with the system to tell me if it is possible to place the UV filter AFTER the tank? I suppose when fully hooked up, water will cycle through the holding tank quickly enough that bacteria won't have much of a chance to form, and when boondocking I can toss some bleach in there, but ideally I could filter it post tank for the entire system. Showers being as bacteria free as possible is a must, since I have two children with a chronic lung disease (Cystic Fibrosis).

I got a diagram of the water system, but it is pretty much Greek to me, I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone has any insight in this group.

Thanks in Advance!
kckohlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckohlhaas View Post
Hello all, I am researching the best way to get (super) clean water for my 2018 36T. I bought a 3 stage CLEAR SOURCE water filter, which filters down to .2 microns. I am planning on using that as a prefilter and then using a 5gpm 12V UV light to kill anything remaining. The plan right now is to remove the inline filter and put the UV filter in its place. That will, however, filter the water before going into the holding tank. The issue is that bacteria can also form in the tank and contaminate the water there. Is anyone familiar enough with the system to tell me if it is possible to place the UV filter AFTER the tank? I suppose when fully hooked up, water will cycle through the holding tank quickly enough that bacteria won't have much of a chance to form, and when boondocking I can toss some bleach in there, but ideally I could filter it post tank for the entire system. Showers being as bacteria free as possible is a must, since I have two children with a chronic lung disease (Cystic Fibrosis).

I got a diagram of the water system, but it is pretty much Greek to me, I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone has any insight in this group.

Thanks in Advance!
This is the best that I have found:

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Por...%2C235&sr=8-20

Hope that helps and I hope you do not go overboard.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 PM   #3

We are trying one of these. Pricey but seems worth it.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey...pecifications/
Av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
This is the best that I have found:

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Por...%2C235&sr=8-20

Hope that helps and I hope you do not go overboard.
I asked a question of LifeStraw. I asked," if I could run the grey water through this filter and drink it. They said that has never been tested, but they would boil the water before you drink it." just something I was thinking would be great if you could do it. Think of all the water storage problems that would cure. There I go off into the "Twilight Zone" again.

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Por...741477&s=gatew
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water filter, water filters, water flow hose pump tank