Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

5 star tune

Does anyone have experience and opinions with the 5 star tune installed in a 2016 motor home with a six speed trans? I have a '16 Precept 31ul and the main issue I have is downshifting while climbing (4000 rpm) and the lack of downshifting while descending. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

I have a Precept 35UN and will be getting the 5 star prior to out Yellowstone trip in August of 2017. I have heard good things about it. With that said, I have had absolutely no issues going up or down inclines, Western PA, in the Tow/haul mode, using the cruise control or simply tapping the brake on downhill for the engine brake to kick in. on several occasions the revs were up there climbing some step grades but never an issue coming down, I do believe that the 5 star is supposed to help the engine not rev as much going up steeper grades. All my grades were with car in tow.
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

We just purchased a 31UL at the Hershey show but won't take delivery until November. I currently have the 5 star on my 30 foot class C on a 2012 450 frame. I was wondering if the 5 star would be needed with a 6 speed. Our current is a 5 speed.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

I have the 6 speed and with some searching on 5stars web page watched a video which addresses the down shifting or lack of. It also, according to their research, delivers better horsepower and torque at lower rpm which should lower rpm on the uphill. I think I will give it a try. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
I have the 6 speed and with some searching on 5stars web page watched a video which addresses the down shifting or lack of. It also, according to their research, delivers better horsepower and torque at lower rpm which should lower rpm on the uphill. I think I will give it a try. Thanks to all for the help.
Can somebody explain to me the gist of the 5 star tune? Is it a hardware or a computer fix. What is the approximate cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

5star

It's a reprogram. As I understand. It's all explained with prices on their web page.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

You may want to consider the Ford factory warranty before making any after-market changes to the vehicle's ECM.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

5star

From what I have read the risk is minimal. I have been driving diesels since '86 and this high rpm engine with no exhaust or engine brake has been difficult to transit to. I think this may help me not to walk away from a nice coach. But your warranty concern is something to be aware of....thanks.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 AM   #9

In my class c it resolved the high rpm issues. If you ever need Ford service you just reinstall the factory tune. The hand held programmer stores.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 AM   #10
Site Team

For us that don't know what you are talking about, Is this a tuner or what?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:17 AM   #11

5star

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
For us that don't know what you are talking about, Is this a tuner or what?
Yes it is a tuner. Check out 5star website.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:34 AM   #12

The tune is the the program that controls the engine and transmission.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #13

You can use the custom program supplied by 5star or create your own. I used the program supplied and it worked great
Old 09-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #14

5star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetters View Post
You can use the custom program supplied by 5star or create your own. I used the program supplied and it worked great
Good to know. They have two options available. If I understand correctly one comes with a display and the other is just a download. Any preference?
Old 09-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #15

I have the 5 star on my 2015 35UN with 5 speed but I can answer a couple of these questions.

This is a tune (software) that is packaged in a hand held device you plug into the OBD2 port under dash of RV. It comes with new software in it and when you install the device first removes and saves the factory software and then installs the new. If you ever need to take RV in for Ford service you can reverse the install in same way to put factory software back in.

It is important to know that Ford will not honor the warranty if they discover you have tampered with engine software but it would take a smarter than average tech to find it. Just be sure you put things back to stock before having any Ford warranty work done. Jayco will not care as they only warranty the coach, not the truck.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #16

The 5 star tune is more than worth the aprox $400 it costs! It claims to add power but on a rig this heavy you would have to pull a dyno to know it. I do not notice any change, good or bad, in gas milage. It does give the engine much better response at low speed such as leaving a stop light or entering the freeway.

Where the 5 star really shines is in the transmission software, especially the 5 speeds. The shift pattern is largely improved and you have much better control with your foot. Like I said at first, I have the 5 speed and no experience with the 6 speed unjits. Perhaps someone will chime in on that for us. It is a huge improvement on the 5 speeds and I can't say that enough!!

Installing the 5 Star takes about 5 minutes actual time but you will spend an hour reading the instructions first. Store the unit in one of your coach cabinets so it is handy in case you need to put factory software back to get warranty service when on the road. 5 Star allows 5 switches of the software for free with the unit new. Then you must pay again to get more. I have had mine in for over a year and never had to switch it so I think 5 times would be lifetime?

If for some reason my 5 Star was to stop working, I would buy another as soon as possible. I really like it and think you will too.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #17

Has anyone used this unit on the Alante 31V?

It seems that the price is $599 on the site (17' w/ 6.8L). I've never used a tuner before. Will this just get me more power? Or will it improve my mileage?
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #18

I purchased the 5 star tune and installed the program on my 2016 precept 31ul and it works great. It makes the rv drive like a car and the shifting is so much better. It is really easy to use and you can change the program back to factory in minutes. I also used it to clear a code I got for hitting the revlimiter. I would recommend it.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #19

So the five star tune can delete your warranty? But you can return it to the original settings, with out any residual background that you've done so. Hmmm.
If the improvement is so dramatic, why doesn't it come that way from the factory? And has anyone had this for a long term without any negative effects during that long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #20

Ford builds the F53 chassis with absolutely no idea what it will end up being built into. It could be a bus, wrecker, hay hauler machine or even an RV. Based on that , they design a simple generic transmission program that works but is not suited for the purpose we want.

If you read your owner's manual you will see that Ford does not want any mods made to the vehicle or warranty work could be denied. Even mods that actually help and are needed.

Running the 5 Star tune is similar to upgradeing Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Same computer and hardware but different operating system. You don't like Windows 10, you can change back to Windows 8.1 with a few mouse clicks - right?

With 5 Star tune you improve the operation of the RV in a positive way but still remain able to return it to stock. However, a slick tech could find you have done this and could - I repeat, could deny warranty coverage to a problem he can say was caused by the tune. Since the engine software is not effected much, chances are you will never have an issue.

I am not sure when they started, but I do know 5 Star has been offering their product for the Ford F53 several years and I could not find one single complaint when I researched buying mine. There is plenty of info out there if you look. I do know those who have tried it, love it!