Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

5 STAR TUNE vs NEVADA SMOG TEST

Here in Clark County Nevada, a smog test is required each year beginning on year two since new. Nevada follows California regulations very closely on most everything (thanks CA for the expensive PITA)

I took my 2015 35UN 5 speed for the first test today to a place I use for all my vehicles. The tech thought my 5 Star tune would be OK as it does not effect performance much and is meant to improve drivability more than power output. He had not tested any RVs with a 5 Star tune and was as interested as I was to see how it went. I had the 5 Star device with me just in case I did have to return to factory tune to pass smog test.

The test involved placing a probe in the exhaust pipe as well as plugging in the OBD2 port to access the control module. The engine was ran at 2500 rpm for a minute then allowed to idle another minute while the smog machine sampled the exhaust.

NO PROBLEM - TEST PASSED with flying colors!!

Your F53 5 speed should pass any smog test out there based on this experience. No need to return to factory software for a smog test.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote