Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

5 star tuning lives up to its hype.

Drove 650 miles NJ to Middlebury IN, 2015 Precpet 35UN, 5 speed, first trip with 5 star. Definitely more power to merge on turnpike, shifting points so much better and smoother, I had to learn how to drive up hill, with cruise on, tow/haul, once I started losing speed I would give it some peddle, just enough to either keep the speed up or to down shift one gear, not the two it did before, by doing this the engine did not rev at all, the key was to catch the lose of speed before the tuning did. Made for a very nice cruise at 65mph. In my opinion, for the 5 speed it was well worth it, that was with towing car on dolly.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #2

Nice to hear as I'm very close to doing the mod myself. Even though my rig is a C I still have the same complaints you do/did.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Nice to hear as I'm very close to doing the mod myself. Even though my rig is a C I still have the same complaints you do/did.
Oh just bite the bullet hop - you know you want to !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

How is the installation done? In your opinion, was it worth the cost?
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

Talking Getting closer to 5 star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Oh just bite the bullet hop - you know you want to !
Aaarrrggghh.... So close. Been waffling for the last couple of days/weeks but between you and nma33, I'm getting closer.

Have yet to read any real negative stuff about the mod on any other forums. Only slightly negative comment was a lack of MPG gain, but I have no expectations there. I just want to calm down the aggressive shift pattern and from everything I've read, that's just what it does. If I could keep the cruise on while climbing a hill, that would be real bonus as I really don't like the aggressive down shifts on the climb.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Aaarrrggghh.... So close. Been waffling for the last couple of days/weeks but between you and nma33, I'm getting closer.

Have yet to read any real negative stuff about the mod on any other forums. Only slightly negative comment was a lack of MPG gain, but I have no expectations there. I just want to calm down the aggressive shift pattern and from everything I've read, that's just what it does. If I could keep the cruise on while climbing a hill, that would be real bonus as I really don't like the aggressive down shifts on the climb.
I used cruise most if the way down. Granted I wasn't dealing with upstate NY hills, but it went to 4th every time but held onto 5th way more than I would have thought or hoped. All that with the 20+ mph headwind too.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

Not totally convinced yet

I received my Five Star while we were in Sanford, FL in January. Used it to read and reset the check engine light initially. I keep getting dtc code p0300, engine misfire which is a common f53 chassis problem.

I tried uploading the Five Star tune several times but it always failed. Ended up calling Five Star customer service who spent over an hour on the phone with me. Ironically, the customer service and engineering is located in Sanford, FL but they don't go out on service calls. They could not resolve the issue on the phone so they were able to read data from the Five Star device and send the problem to engineering for a solution.

After a couple of weeks I still had no solution so I called Five Star sales and complained about the lack of communication and service. Within 2 hours they sent me a new program for the handheld device. This program installed quickly and I have been using it since mid February. We have traveled a little over 500 miles using the new Five Star tune program and I don't really see much improvement in the shifting pattern or engine performance.

I have the six speed tranny and it wants to stay in a specific gear based on speed. Driving through towns it would stay in 3rd gear up to about 35mph. 4th gear up to about 45, 5th up to about 55 and then shift into 6th above 55. It downshifts quickly at the slightest incline in the road and prefers 3rd and 4th gears. If I let the speed drop to around 50 when climbing hills it would stay in 4th at 3200 to 3600 rpm on many hills. If I try to keep the speed above 50 it will shift to 3rd at 4200 to 4600 rpm and the engine noise is deafening. I have a 35S that weighs 19900 pounds and tow a Jeep Wrangler at about 4000 pounds.

I need to revert back to the original Ford tune for a while to see how it drove in stock form and then go back to the Five Star tune for another comparison. At this point I'm not convinced it was worth the cost. I found it amazing that the problem was in their engineering group for 2 weeks and when I complained I received a revised program in less than 2 hours. Five Star could never tell me why the original 87 octane program failed to load in my engine computer.

I probably need to call them again and spend some time on the phone. The device is good to read and reset diagnostic codes but there are devices available that will do that same function at a much lower cost.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

With the 5 speed tranny it made a world of difference. I have seen mixed reviews for the 6 speed.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #9

I have the six speed and the 5 star. At 1st I didn't see a big difference in anything except hill pulling power, I have the V3 engine, but 2 monthe into it 5 Star sent me a new tune, which I installed, and it made a LOT of difference? As the Op said, the tranny drops from 6th to 5 at the very start of a hill, then holds onto 5th a long time, down to 3000 rpm, which causes a bit of rev'ing into 4th unless I force it to shift a bit sooner, but it makes most hills in 4th without the 'Roar' that it had by dropping into 3rd. As for power, lots more, went from 360BHP to 425BHP, you can really feel the pull when accelerating onto the freeway. People are surprised at the acceleration off of a stop light, almost as fast as a car for my 26AY, I was surprised to say the least. So I am really happy with the install, even though it didn't increase MPG it didn't go down and I still get about 600 miles on a tank. I won't need to smog for the 1st 5 years so when I do will have to revert to stock then re-program, but that is 5 minutes work.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
As for power, lots more, went from 360BHP to 425BHP, you can really feel the pull when accelerating onto the freeway. People are surprised at the acceleration off of a stop light, almost as fast as a car for my 26AY, I was surprised to say the least.
An increase of 65 hp? Did you dyno after the new update?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
An increase of 65 hp? Did you dyno after the new update?
Yes, my best friend (Army Pal) owns a ford truck service center, and he did the after Dyno, but no before, we were using the Ford spec' for that. My buddy also recommended the rear Trac bar and STS, said I should opt for the heavy duty anti-sway bars. He mentioned that the F53 chassis was designed for box trucks with a different weight distribution and no overhang, and the weight distribution plan called for more weight low down (lower center of gravity) and not a M/H that has a higher one with more weight towards the rear, (when tanks are full) hence the Tail wagging the dog steering and roll. I am not an expert by any means (just an old truck driver) but following his suggestions has taken me from a white knuckle driving experience to almost a car like feel, so I am tempted to believe what he says.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #12

[QUOTE=JesseS;512210] but 2 monthe into it 5 Star sent me a new tune, which I installed, and it made a LOT of difference?

Did you ask for the tune or did they just send it without asking? My 35S spends very little time in 5th and goes to 4th quickly. If I leave cruise control engaged it goes to 3rd to try to hold my cruise speed of 62.

If I dis-engage cruise control and let the speed fall off I can keep in in 4th on most hills down to about 45 mph without revving over 4000 rpm.

If I had more usable torque in 5th gear the speed would not drop off as quickly but the tune I'm using doesn't allow that to happen. Probably should call Fiver Star and complain.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, my best friend (Army Pal) owns a ford truck service center, and he did the after Dyno, but no before, we were using the Ford spec' for that. My buddy also recommended the rear Trac bar and STS, said I should opt for the heavy duty anti-sway bars. He mentioned that the F53 chassis was designed for box trucks with a different weight distribution and no overhang, and the weight distribution plan called for more weight low down (lower center of gravity) and not a M/H that has a higher one with more weight towards the rear, (when tanks are full) hence the Tail wagging the dog steering and roll. I am not an expert by any means (just an old truck driver) but following his suggestions has taken me from a white knuckle driving experience to almost a car like feel, so I am tempted to believe what he says.
Wow, that is almost to good to believe. An 18% increase in HP with just a software update is virtually unheard of. What are the other things you did to improve the steering and roll?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #14

[QUOTE=NickM;512301]
Quote:
but 2 monthe into it 5 Star sent me a new tune, which I installed, and it made a LOT of difference?

Did you ask for the tune or did they just send it without asking? My 35S spends very little time in 5th and goes to 4th quickly. If I leave cruise control engaged it goes to 3rd to try to hold my cruise speed of 62.

If I dis-engage cruise control and let the speed fall off I can keep in in 4th on most hills down to about 45 mph without revving over 4000 rpm.

If I had more usable torque in 5th gear the speed would not drop off as quickly but the tune I'm using doesn't allow that to happen. Probably should call Fiver Star and complain.
I normally dis-engauge the cruise unless its a small hill because it will keep dropping gears to try and keep up the speed. They sent me the tune without me asking, I assume they did an improvement based on customer feedback, or at lease that is what I got from the email. I will normall drop out of cruise and as soon as the speed starts to drop engage tow-haul and give it some gas, it really takes the hill so much better than prior to installing the tune. My buddy says Ford really is very Conservative on the power curve when tuning these, so that accounts for the increase, although he said most see a 40-50 HP increase.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #15

Ok Jopopsy, I couldn't stand it any more so I finally bit the bullet!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ice-47786.html
Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Wow, that is almost to good to believe. An 18% increase in HP with just a software update is virtually unheard of. What are the other things you did to improve the steering and roll?
Sorry for the very late response, have been traveling. I did the rear trac bar, the Super Steer, Koni shocks, and the CHF (cheap handling fix) on all four anti roll bar drag links.
I have since put another 7,000 miles on it and it is running and handling so much better than stock. I tell you that first trip back from the Tuscon dealer was a white knuckle drive, now it handles almost as well as my class C did. I have been averaging between 9-10 MPG with the toad, better than expected as I thought there would be a bigger penalty for the increased HP. Now that I have fixed all of Jayco's build issues and the handling I am a happy camper.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Not in a motorhome, but I do have Ford tuned by 5*. For the F150 you can contact 5* and get a tune which locks out 6th gear while in tow-haul mode. You might be able to get a tune for your applications that locks out 6th gear (or 5th gear) for while you are towing in the mountains or very hilly areas.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Not in a motorhome, but I do have Ford tuned by 5*. For the F150 you can contact 5* and get a tune which locks out 6th gear while in tow-haul mode. You might be able to get a tune for your applications that locks out 6th gear (or 5th gear) for while you are towing in the mountains or very hilly areas.
The RV tune from 5* for the V10v3 already has the tow haul 6th gear lockout. As soon as I engage TH it drops a gear, hill or no hill.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #19

I have 5-star on 2v 6.8l 5 speed class c. I have passed Colorado emissions twice with 5-star active with flying colors.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoyle View Post
I have 5-star on 2v 6.8l 5 speed class c. I have passed Colorado emissions twice with 5-star active with flying colors.
+2, The 5-star tune was one of the best upgrades I have done for mine. Not so much for the extra power, but for the better transmission shifting control (mine is the 5 speed transmission). The RV now stays in high gear much more often, doesn't shift down to 3rd so quickly like it used to, (it would drop to third and rev super high rpms with just a little too much throttle 5th to 3rd). I can now stay in high gear for almost all of my travels and when in the mountains the downshifts are much more controlled and much smoother overall. ~CA