Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #1

50Amp power cord Precept 31UL

The power cord on the Precept is only 25' long. Is it OK to add an extension which is open to the elements or is it better to get a 50' cord hard wired to the coach? has any one had issues with the cord that comes with the coach too short?
RubesRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

We used a 50 amp ext numerous times on both our SENECA and our PINNACLE, you will see it done all the time depending on where you"re camping.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubesRV View Post
The power cord on the Precept is only 25' long. Is it OK to add an extension which is open to the elements or is it better to get a 50' cord hard wired to the coach? has any one had issues with the cord that comes with the coach too short?
Using a 25' ext right now, no problems.
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Always good to carry an extra 25' ext. cord. You'll be glad you did, when you find the power 26' from your coach! Been there.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

I'm an electrician and made my own 30' extension cord. You can buy them as well. Where you plug the two together try to keep it out of a puddle.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #6

We use an extension at times...I set it on top of an overturned soaking tub so it is not in a puddle.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubesRV View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

Here’s two options to build your own cord. Just add the plug of choice and you’re good to go.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273520619202

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273520581432
Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #8

Personally I would use an extension cord as needed. I'm sure you have a power cord real in your Precept. I do not remember much from my electronics class. But running electricity through a coil of wire, creates a Tesla coil, which in turns creates an electromagnet, which creates resistance (AKA heat) and is very bad for power cord, and creates a power drop at the end of the coil of wire.

So I would use an extension cord when needed, and pull out all your power cord off your reel when plugged in.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #9

We use a 70Ft #6-AWG extension cord as needed. I also made up a 50A twist-Lock to 50A RV Female adapter so we can plug into commercial power units.

There are many times we need to use the extension cord in parks that like to put the power pedestal at the end of the space (instead of near the center)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally I would use an extension cord as needed. I'm sure you have a power cord real in your Precept. I do not remember much from my electronics class. But running electricity through a coil of wire, creates a Tesla coil, which in turns creates an electromagnet, which creates resistance (AKA heat) and is very bad for power cord, and creates a power drop at the end of the coil of wire.

So I would use an extension cord when needed, and pull out all your power cord off your reel when plugged in.

Neither of the links is for the correct cord configuration for 50amp 2 pole use. It needs to be 6/4 Soow cable.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical power, power cord, precept 31 ul