Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #21

Shouldn't have said that!

@Russelmania01, you do realize what you just did to yourself by saying that, right?

Txjaco
Old 08-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #22

I jinxed myself right!!!!!!
russellmania01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #23

Whoips

Foolish to buy first year of a brand new engine
pjhmth2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #24

Ummmmm, not sure how to answer. I've finally learned after being older than six decades, not to do that to myself. What I've learned is:
1. I never say never (anymore),
2. I never say "my truck, RV, etc. never had a problem and is working just fine" (anymore),
3. I never buy a vehicle with a brand new engine until it's been out for at least two years (anymore), and
4. I never step in it with the DW (anymore...almost!)

Txjaco
Old 08-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #25

Yes sir. Bought 2020 Jayco Precept approximately July 11th -- went to dealer for duracoat and then directly to repair shop - multiple misfire codes, etc. And insult to injury, the parts are not available from Ford....... stuck on the east coast when we should be on the west coast
Hoggie638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhmth2000 View Post
Foolish to buy first year of a brand new engine
I wonder how that first-year EcoBoost worked out.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #27

My 2020 31UL came with the "old" V-10.
Now I'm kind of glad it did ?
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #28

7.3 L Ford

I have a 2021 Greyhawk 31F with the Ford 7.3 L. 5000 miles no problem. Take it for a trip to Michigan in a month about 3000 miles plus round-trip hope I can say the same thing when I get back.
Ulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:36 AM   #29

Don't want to jinx myself but....

We bought our 2020 F250 in Jan. this year, & took delivery 3 days before we took off towing our TT from Michigan to Arizona for 6 weeks! Yeah I know, that was crazy! However, 5,000 miles later, 11 different RV parks, (nightly stops) & at least 200#'s heavier, (rock collectors!) we came back with no issues. We have since traveled to Indiana (towing) then Missouri in 100° weather & it still has performed great!
One thing I have noticed just recently, is when starting the truck, every once in a while, there will be a very slight movement as if the truck rocks backwards? Anyone felt that, or maybe it's our Governor's voodoo warning me about getting out into public!
I do have to add one note. One of my retirement hobbies is that I cut & sell firewood from our property, so I am always "knocking on wood". Maybe that's keeping the Godzilla running great? Ha Ha!
Geotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #30

Over in the ford trick enthusiasts forum I discovered a ford memo? dated feb of 2020 telling dealers to not sell/relarse certian 7.3 vehicles. More homework required.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Over in the ford trick enthusiasts forum I discovered a ford memo? dated feb of 2020 telling dealers to not sell/relarse certian 7.3 vehicles. More homework required.
I believe that was for a group of engines that had an issue with the oil jets that cool the underside of the pistons, produced within a time span that Ford supposedly identified.
Oldmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #32

This is why we bought our rig before the new engine came out. Buy proven v10 or get new v8? For me it was easy question to answer. Funny they had same issue when v10 came out. Good luck to everyone with new engine.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #33

My 7.3 has big issues

purchased my class a Jayco 29f new on 5/1/20. On the trip to my home the RV began making a noticeable rattle and whining noise. Also the chassis was badly out of alignment. Jayco paid for an alignment which corrected that issue.

On May 14th I brought the RV to my local dealership to be looked at. The RV was returned to me the next day. The dealer diagnosed the whining noise as a power steering pump but said they could not get the part from Ford to replace it. As of today they still have not been able to get this part. While the whining noise is annoying it has not effected the operation of the vehicle. The dealer was not able to diagnose the rattling noise.

On 6/27/20 the service engine light began to flash. The rattle was now practically continuous and louder. I was beginning a trip so I stopped at another Ford dealer and asked them to read the code. They told me it was a cylinder 3 misfire and it should be brought in for repair.

When the RV is in the state of cylinder 3 misfire it runs very rough and has significantly reduced power. I’m forced to manually shift the engine to keep the RPMs higher than the automatic shift points. It will keep going but is difficult to drive.

On 7/6/20 I brought the RV back to My local Ford dealer. On 7/15/20 I picked up the RV. The dealer had replaced the coil and wire on cylinder 3. The parts were not in stock and took several days to come in from Ford. The engine light was off and the RV ran well.

During the next trip with the RV the service engine light began to flash again, and the rattle came back. The RV ran very rough and had significantly reduced power.

On 7/21/20 I brought the RV back to Dealership. On 7/31/20 I picked up the RV. The dealer stated that they once again changed the coil and wire on cylinder 3 and replaced all the spark plugs plus did significant diagnosis with the assistance of Ford. The dealership felt that it likely also needed the computer to be replaced which controls the coils because it was highly unusual for the same coil and wire to fail so closely in time. Ford disagreed with the need to replace the computer and it was not done. The RV ran well, and the light was off when I picked it up.

On 8/1/20 (the next day) while on another trip the service engine light began to flash and the rattle began again. The RV ran very rough and had significantly reduced power.

On 8/3 or 8/4/20 I brought the RV to another dealership. They returned it the same day and diagnosed the issue as faulty fuel injector(s). They said they could not get the parts for at least two weeks. I elected for them not to order the parts due to this dealer being approximately 400 miles from my house.

I contacted My local dealership on 8/10 and set an appointment for the first possible time which was 8/17 for drop off. As of today 9/13/20 the RV is still at the local Ford dealership.

The dealership has informed me that Ford will not authorize them to make the repairs they believe are necessary to correct this continuous issue. I have been without my new RV for at least 10 weeks since purchasing it and it has only run correctly for the first 750 or so miles. Ford is choosing not to get the parts out for repair. Lookout for this new engine.
Nrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #34

Ford should have left the V-10 as an option, along with the new V-8.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #35

with the coil going poof your next trouble will be excessive fuel in the catalytic converts and they will plug up ... hopefully you will still be under warranty when that happens...

sorry for your troubles...
this looks like an issue with the cooling of the motor due to the conversion from Jayco... I don't see the issue on the ford forums...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #36

Might be Ford issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
with the coil going poof your next trouble will be excessive fuel in the catalytic converts and they will plug up ... hopefully you will still be under warranty when that happens...

sorry for your troubles...
this looks like an issue with the cooling of the motor due to the conversion from Jayco... I don't see the issue on the ford forums...

Check this out. Seems like the same or similar issue with trucks

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/new-ford-7-3l-engine-problems-501821-3.html
Old 09-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #37

7.3 issue

Just saw an informative YouTube video of a guy with a pickup having the same issue. I’m concerned it’s not a Jayco specific issue but as of my last conversation with Ford they are blaming Jayco. Ford says they are writing a TSB about the issue.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #38

quick update:
Now, we have an update directly from Ford. Here is an official statement from the company related to this issue:

“Quality is a top priority. We are aware of some issues with the spark plug wires used on the 7.3-liter engine. Our supplier has fixed the spark plug wires for the 7.3 liter used in the F-Series Super Duty. We are working hard to increase the supply of this part. We are working toward a solution for the spark plug wires in the F-53 motor home chassis. Customers experiencing issues should visit their local Ford dealer for assistance and possible repairs under warranty.”

https://tfltruck.com/2020/09/fix-is-...g-wire-update/
Old 10-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #39

My previous company truck was a 13 F450 with 97k on it when I had to give it up over a month ago. It had an issue with the ignition when you put it in D the warning light and chime were on for the E-brake being on. You had to jiggle the key just right to get it to go off. Eventually, that only worked some of the time, so I drove around with my master inverter switch on all the time. Being it is a utility service repair truck the key was in and out of that ignition 100 times a day. I'm surprised they last as long as they do. Another co worker with the same exact truck, his has 197K on it has the same issue except now the key wont even come out. A few weeks ago his power steering pump went out and that pump also works the brakes. Both ignition switches and power steering pumps are on a national backorder from the dealers AND auto parts stores.
I got a new 2020 F450 with the 7.3 and it's got 1800 miles on it. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with it so far. I do notice when it starts for the first time of the day the entire truck will move forward until the parking pawl stops it. After the first of the day start, it doesn't do it. The engine is mated to a 10 speed trans, which I'm still getting used to, and gets about 9mpg which is 1.5 - 2 mpg better than the V10 in my old truck. Both trucks weigh real close to the same weight. With all my gear and supplies it comes in around 12,500#.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
quick update:
Now, we have an update directly from Ford. Here is an official statement from the company related to this issue:

“Quality is a top priority. We are aware of some issues with the spark plug wires used on the 7.3-liter engine. Our supplier has fixed the spark plug wires for the 7.3 liter used in the F-Series Super Duty. We are working hard to increase the supply of this part. We are working toward a solution for the spark plug wires in the F-53 motor home chassis. Customers experiencing issues should visit their local Ford dealer for assistance and possible repairs under warranty.”

https://tfltruck.com/2020/09/fix-is-...g-wire-update/
So there are different wires for a MH compared to a truck?