Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #81

Temp wise the engine gauge says its good. Its leans to the hot side, but it is within range of good. When I say it runs hot, Its like I said in my first post. You cannot touch the floor (especially on the drivers side) without getting burned. It feels like you are sitting in a sauna sitting in either of the captains chairs after the engine warms up to driving temp. Once it hits driving temp, the AC stops working and blows hot air. Lack of insulating i'm guessing on Jaycos part?
American X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #82

I found some more threads on this site that talk about this heat issue and the AC not working. Appears Jayco did not use any heat shielding or sound proofing (which is why it is loud while driving and the AC stops working when reaching driving temp). Looks like I have my work cut out for me whenever I get my rig back from Ford. Going to have to tear everything apart and DIY it appears with some "Fatmat". Jayco just blames Ford and Ford just blames Jayco from everyone posting in the threads. Only way to fix it is take it on yourself. From what people are saying, installing Fatmat around the dog house and everywhere you can get it resolves much of the heat issue I was referring to. It also seems to help restore the functionality of the AC system while at driving temp.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by American X View Post
Temp wise the engine gauge says its good. Its leans to the hot side, but it is within range of good. When I say it runs hot, Its like I said in my first post. You cannot touch the floor (especially on the drivers side) without getting burned. It feels like you are sitting in a sauna sitting in either of the captains chairs after the engine warms up to driving temp. Once it hits driving temp, the AC stops working and blows hot air. Lack of insulating i'm guessing on Jaycos part?
That's what I thought you'd say.... so it's not an over heating issue, it's an insulation issue. Review my thread to see what all I did.... it's a world of difference with both heat and noise (road, tire and engine noise).
Link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Mark
Old 07-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #84

Quote:
I found some more threads on this site that talk about this heat issue and the AC not working. Appears Jayco did not use any heat shielding or sound proofing (which is why it is loud while driving and the AC stops working when reaching driving temp). Looks like I have my work cut out for me whenever I get my rig back from Ford. Going to have to tear everything apart and DIY it appears with some "Fatmat". Jayco just blames Ford and Ford just blames Jayco from everyone posting in the threads. Only way to fix it is take it on yourself. From what people are saying, installing Fatmat around the dog house and everywhere you can get it resolves much of the heat issue I was referring to. It also seems to help restore the functionality of the AC system while at driving temp.
Regarding the A/C.... it's manual, so make sure the A/C button is depressed and the indicator light is lite. Also note in my thread, I added a curtain to help contain the A/C cold air within the driver/passenger compartment vs trying to cool the entire coach.

Link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

At the end of the day, the heat is no-ones fault.... Ford just supplies a chassis and Jayco the body. Our coaches are not high end, that's why the cost is relatively low vs other Class A's that go for $300k to millions. We get/got what we paid for.

Mark
Old 07-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #85

In a sense I would agree you get what you pay for. I work for one of the big 3 automakers (not Ford obviously lol) and know we would be crucified if we built/sold a sub par product like this where the AC does not work once the engine hits operating temp regardless of the price point. RV manufacturers are not regulated like autos are so they can get away with far more we will call it "sub-par building practices". I expected the road noise and the cheaper finishes on the inside when I bought this RV. Never expected the problems we are now facing. I will not bore you with my list of problems in just 1 trip but the list is gigantic (rear sway bar came off just to name 1 that should NEVER happen on a new product. Mounting brackets and bushings fell off).

I guess the good thing about this trip is I now am learning what to expect. I had 12+ hours waiting for Ford road side assistance to never show up to read all about the reality of my purchase. We are on our own for many issues that pop up regardless of how petty we think they are (or what the dealership said would happen with the overpriced bumper to bumper warranty they sold me). I understand that first hand now! Thanks for jumping on and chatting. I think I am going to go with Dynamax instead of Fatmat though since Dynamax makes a product just for thermal protection which also has "some" sound deadening characteristics. Should have that delivered to my house long before Ford gets the parts to fix my plug wire issue!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #86

Quote:
In a sense I would agree you get what you pay for. I work for one of the big 3 automakers (not Ford obviously lol) and know we would be crucified if we built/sold a sub par product like this where the AC does not work once the engine hits operating temp regardless of the price point. RV manufacturers are not regulated like autos are so they can get away with far more we will call it "sub-par building practices". I expected the road noise and the cheaper finishes on the inside when I bought this RV. Never expected the problems we are now facing. I will not bore you with my list of problems in just 1 trip but the list is gigantic (rear sway bar came off just to name 1 that should NEVER happen on a new product. Mounting brackets and bushings fell off).

I guess the good thing about this trip is I now am learning what to expect. I had 12+ hours waiting for Ford road side assistance to never show up to read all about the reality of my purchase. We are on our own for many issues that pop up regardless of how petty we think they are (or what the dealership said would happen with the overpriced bumper to bumper warranty they sold me). I understand that first hand now! Thanks for jumping on and chatting. I think I am going to go with Dynamax instead of Fatmat though since Dynamax makes a product just for thermal protection which also has "some" sound deadening characteristics. Should have that delivered to my house long before Ford gets the parts to fix my plug wire issue!
If drivable I’d leave it parked at my house until they have parts…. Read a thread on here where a dealership got broken into (fenced lot if I recall) and the MH was broke into and it they would not cover the damage.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #87

7.3 Powerstroke. 20+ years, running strong. 7.3 gas. 200 miles. Found On Road Dead. Ironic.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #88

On the Ram website there is talk of Ram starting to supply chassis for class ‘A’ front engine application. YES,, they are going to have the Cummings Diesel engine. If that happens it will be a game changer for front engine Motorhomes.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
On the Ram website there is talk of Ram starting to supply chassis for class ‘A’ front engine application. YES,, they are going to have the Cummings Diesel engine. If that happens it will be a game changer for front engine Motorhomes.
If it does happen, I would be curious to see if it would be offered in an entry level class A like the Alante or equivalent brand (and keep the price reasonable). I am guessing they would upgrade the chassis to utilize the torque upgrade. Now we are talking Freightliner chassis money like a Palazzo that already has the 6.7L Cummins and a hefty 200k + price tag to go with it.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #90

Quote:
If it does happen, I would be curious to see if it would be offered in an entry level class A like the Alante or equivalent brand (and keep the price reasonable). I am guessing they would upgrade the chassis to utilize the torque upgrade. Now we are talking Freightliner chassis money like a Palazzo that already has the 6.7L Cummins and a hefty 200k + price tag to go with it.
And every time I showed a customer a palazzo while working at Camping World I had to explain why this or that was broken
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #91

Problem solved

After returning from my last trip I dropped the RV off at a ford dealership so they could complete the open TSB out for the spark plug wire issue on the 7.3L V8 that leads to cylinder misfires. It took them 2 weeks, but the work is completed. I just completed a 400 mile trip to Gulf Shores AL in horrendous stop and go traffic with the outside temp being in the low to mid 90's, no problems. Engine ran great! Now I need to figure out a way to keep the engine heat off my generator and keep air flow moving when sitting in traffic jams. The heat off the engine appears to be overheating and shutting down the generator. I was thinking about installing a fan pack on the generator access door to improve outside air flow. Anyone else have this issue? Generator runs fine unless sitting in traffic while driving.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Somewhere on youtube there is a guy who went to many ford dealerships and individually met with their mechanics. He only asked them one question. "What do you consider the best Ford engine? The response was unanimous. The Ford 6.0 liter. Not even one mechanic out of dozens chose the eco-boost. We'll have to see about the 7.3
I'm pretty sure the 6.0 was only available as a Diesel. The 5.0 was / is a great engine. I'm thinking that's what they were likely referring to

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #93

Quote:
After returning from my last trip I dropped the RV off at a ford dealership so they could complete the open TSB out for the spark plug wire issue on the 7.3L V8 that leads to cylinder misfires. It took them 2 weeks, but the work is completed. I just completed a 400 mile trip to Gulf Shores AL in horrendous stop and go traffic with the outside temp being in the low to mid 90's, no problems. Engine ran great! Now I need to figure out a way to keep the engine heat off my generator and keep air flow moving when sitting in traffic jams. The heat off the engine appears to be overheating and shutting down the generator. I was thinking about installing a fan pack on the generator access door to improve outside air flow. Anyone else have this issue? Generator runs fine unless sitting in traffic while driving.

I have an entegra vision (mainly a rebadging) and had rear sway bar fall off completely on first trip. After having it replaced under warranty, went on a short trip and then before a longer trip decided to check it. Missing a bolt (same bracket and the other was loose). I replaced the bolt myself and added loctite to both on that bracket. Haven't had any further issues with it after a handful of additional trips. I also have not had any issues with the engine/transmission and have been pleasantly surprised at the power. I did proactively change my plug wires and also checked the rear axle fill immediately on delivery. I was able to convince the shop doing the warranty repair to order the parts while I am still using the coach, but have not had the two weeks to drop it off between trips yet as the parts took about 5 weeks to come in as soon as the recall was issued (I was watching and jumped on them right away when the repair instructions were released).

That said handling is still not ideal, but I expected it (it is better than the V10 chassis from what I have seen) and am planning to get liquid springs on all four corners sometime soon ($20k is a bit steep, but more people are doing it with rave reviews).

Regarding the generator overheating, I may be experiencing this as well. Mine has shut off twice at the tail end of my drive (within ten minutes of arrival) and won't immediately turn back on. I haven't checked the code yet as I have tried to turn it right back on while driving instead of watching the light code. After everything cools down it runs fine. When I tested just the Genny (no engine on at my house), no issues for several hours. If I am actively driving, no issues...only when I am stopped in traffic for an extended time and no good airflow underneath. Seems like the whole heat warming each other is plausible. Let us know what you find after installing the fans. I'm going to crawl under after this trip to see if any obvious air flow changes can be made to mine.
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #94

Does the generator door have an opening? If, not so many owners (Jayco and others) have taken it upon themselves to cut a hole in the door an install a vent or screen.

It's absolutely on my to-do list!
Old 07-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #95

Glad they had parts last fall when my V10 blew up with 12,000 miles on it, that took 4 months for a new engine
Don Smalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #96

I had the same issue with the engine misfire. I called Ford at 800-392-3673 as the dealer is unable to get the parts needed to correct this issue. I recommend all call them and flood Ford with complaints, so a safety recall is issued and they are forced to replace all of the defective ignition parts. I managed to get a case open, so hopefully it will help others.
byanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:23 PM   #97

I'm not a Ford guy but I believe the V10 is a pretty decent motor. What do they think happened?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Does the generator door have an opening? If, not so many owners (Jayco and others) have taken it upon themselves to cut a hole in the door an install a vent or screen.

It's absolutely on my to-do list!
The 5500 generator gets it’s cooling from underneath. Vent in door does no good.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #99

Quote:
Some of the ac issues on the new V8 was the 2 water lines on the exchanger were installed backwards.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
The 5500 generator gets it’s cooling from underneath. Vent in door does no good.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...85378-0001.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
6CBB58D1-0EA9-4428-827A-FBDD49A17584.jpg   3CCEF16A-4DE9-4BFC-A667-FD2876582D22.jpg