Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
MJD

A/C upgrade

Anyone use the product called SoftstartRV? It’s supposed to assist in lessening the load of multiple A/C’s in use. I’m just curious to hear responses. I have 30 AMP Alante 2 ACs and have not had an issue running both at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
FEDEE984-F2C6-4D6D-BFA3-12EDC63251D2.jpg  
MJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
Anyone use the product called SoftstartRV? It’s supposed to assist in lessening the load of multiple A/C’s in use. I’m just curious to hear responses. I have 30 AMP Alante 2 ACs and have not had an issue running both at the same time.
There have been numerous posts where JOF members have installed that, especially amoug those who are using portable generators.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
MJD

Thanks
Old 04-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #4

The two best Mods I made to my RV this year was to install a SoftStart and the RV Airflow. Both made a big improvement in performance and saved me from having to add a second AC.

https://www.softstartrv.com/

https://www.rvairflow.com/

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Matt, if you have a 30amp Allante with 2 ACs, you have the 11K BTU powersavers and they already have something similar installed if i'm not mistaken. Are you facing an issue that you want to install it?
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
MJD

Foretm,

No issues . I was just curious as I was not familiar with the upgrade. I’m also looking at the softstart thanks ro Route 66. Looks like it will make the airflow much better and more efficient.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #7

I bought the RVairflow for my Entegra Vision which is a sistership to the Jayco Allante. I can tell you that it doesn't fit without modification, and the modifications cut down on the available area for the transition from the AC to the ductwork. I got better airflow, but I don't think I got optimal airflow, and i'm considering something custom. Not that I have any issues, but better flow is always good. I only bought one to test it out, so you'll see that reflected in the spreadsheet attached. Not planning to buy the second one based on the mods I had to do to make it work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RV AirFlow.zip (19.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
I bought the RVairflow for my Entegra Vision which is a sistership to the Jayco Allante. I can tell you that it doesn't fit without modification, and the modifications cut down on the available area for the transition from the AC to the ductwork. I got better airflow, but I don't think I got optimal airflow, and i'm considering something custom. Not that I have any issues, but better flow is always good. I only bought one to test it out, so you'll see that reflected in the spreadsheet attached. Not planning to buy the second one based on the mods I had to do to make it work.
Almost a 40% increase in flow and that’s about what all the reviews say you should get. Something you didn’t measure was output temp at the vent. With the more efficient exchange of return air it’s probably slightly cooler as well and quieter.

I bought two for our Entegra Emblem but haven’t gotten around to install yet.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #9

Agreed, the airflow did increase, but my point is that having to modify the unit to block off about 2 inches of the output side of the product because it doesn't fit, just turned me off to getting a second one. Also the inlet for the ducting in my Entegra was like 4" tall, but the output from the RVairflow was only about 2" tall, so the airflow could be increased further with a different solution. Considering a custom solution that will fit the output of the AC and input of the ducting and create a transition at the junction point. https://www.budgetheating.com/Duct-b...8-p/148009.htm

Not knocking the product at all, its just designed for a different configuration than what I have. If there was one designed for this configuration, I would get a couple in a heartbeat.

As for the temperature check, no I did not check that but i did retape all the opening in the AC, but to be honest the factory tape job was pretty good. I can't seem to feel any difference, but empirically I know the volume of air has improved.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #10

Points to ponder, first point is that more air flow is not always better for an A/C system. If an A/C system has air blockage and you are not getting enough air flow (many I have seen are that way and\or they have air leaks) then correcting that issue is certainly good and very helpful no doubt, however if the airflow is already up to spec, then increasing it any further will allow the air to pass through the A/C evaporator faster which in turn raises the evaporator temp which causes two issues, first being that the A/C's ability to remove moisture from the air is reduced because the evap temp is warmer and second is because the air flow is faster, the humid air has less time in the evap coil to have as much moisture removed as otherwise would have occurred (not to mention the air temp leaving the A/C is warmer).

Second point to ponder is that I have read that the RVairflow kits will not allow RV A/C's that have drop vents (in addition to ducted) to continue to have the ability to open and use the drop vents at the A/C (I need to check as I read that from someone but haven't verified this to be true perhaps someone here knows the answer).

All in all, if an A/C system doesn't have enough air flow (cfm’s) through the evap coils (and condenser coils), correcting that issue would certainly be helpful, however if your A/C does have the proper air flow (as recommended by the mfg.) then increasing the air flow further doesn't help as much as one might think it does and can actually reduce the A/C's ability to condition (humidity and temperature) the air. ~CA
Old 04-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Points to ponder, first point is that more air flow is not always better for an A/C system. If an A/C system has air blockage and you are not getting enough air flow (many I have seen are that way and\or they have air leaks) then correcting that issue is certainly good and very helpful no doubt, however if the airflow is already up to spec, then increasing it any further will allow the air to pass through the A/C evaporator faster which in turn raises the evaporator temp which causes two issues, first being that the A/C's ability to remove moisture from the air is reduced because the evap temp is warmer and second is because the air flow is faster, the humid air has less time in the evap coil to have as much moisture removed as otherwise would have occurred (not to mention the air temp leaving the A/C is warmer).

Second point to ponder is that I have read that the RVairflow kits will not allow RV A/C's that have drop vents (in addition to ducted) to continue to have the ability to open and use the drop vents at the A/C (I need to check as I read that from someone but haven't verified this to be true perhaps someone here knows the answer).

All in all, if an A/C system doesn't have enough air flow (cfm’s) through the evap coils (and condenser coils), correcting that issue would certainly be helpful, however if your A/C does have the proper air flow (as recommended by the mfg.) then increasing the air flow further doesn't help as much as one might think it does and can actually reduce the A/C's ability to condition (humidity and temperature) the air. ~CA
This is true. Once installed the RVAirflow insert disables the use of the air showers. The install instructions indicate to not reinstall the air shower plate. In our unit the air showers have never been effective so we didn't use them. That may not be the case for others.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post

It’s not necessarily that your adding more airflow/cfm’s to the ducting. I mean they are designed to handle 100% of the oem units output. These things have gaps, tears in tape and the plenum/divider is never positioned where it needs to be because it vibrates and twists from driving the coach. Ours was falling over when I looked, who knows how long it was like that.
This product eliminates that piece so no unwanted mixing of return and output air and that is where I believe it makes the biggest difference.
I also believe the curve shape of the styrofoam accelerates the flow of the return air.

It’s not like going from a 3 ton home unit to a 5 ton without adding outlets and returns .

I’ll post results of mine when I install both.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #13

It's a well engineered product that works better than advertised. The airflow from my AC ceiling vents more than doubled and my trailer cools down faster than ever before. It's one of the best Mods I have ever made to my trailer. This product saved me from adding a second AC, so it saved me a lot more than the price I paid. It just basically eliminates all of the air leaks inside the plenum space and smooths out the airflow.

Eliminating the air vents on the bottom of the AC didn't concern me because we rarely used it anyway. Besides, when it's open the cold air comes out very close to where the hot air is going in...doesn't seem very efficient to me.

I think between now and May 10th you can get 15% discount using the Code FRIEND-VQTJB2F in checkout....worth a try.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #14
MJD

Thanks
Old 05-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #15

I just got one RVAIRFLOW device for our Bedroom AC that is accessible from
inside the Fifth Wheel....I also added the Soft Start device to both our ACs...
running on 30 AMPs for three weeks with no problems yet....

I want to add the RVAIRFLOW device to our front AC, however it is not accessible
from the inside and don't see any instructions on doing it from the outside...so I think I'll pass on that for now... don't trust myself yet to mess with removing
the entire AC to install one of those...

Also, been looking for thread/posts that I thought I saw last year about putting rubber door stoppers in the ducted Vents to disrupt the air flow in the ducts and diverts more air through the vents...?? Anyone do this with the vents?
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:43 AM   #16

In my "Mark's upgrades" thread posts, I detail/document the RV Airflow system.

Link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

I for one think it's a significant "good" upgrade and fixed a lot of other issues which my post identified.

Mark
Old 05-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #17

Related airflow question. For the ducted system in the Precept (and I assume Alante?) - does one AC unit handle one section of air vents and the other AC unit handle a different section? Or do both units feed into common ductwork? Meaning both AC units push air through all the same vents across the entire coach.

I’m wondering how the dual thermostats handle the ACs spinning up and down throughout the day. And, if each AC handles its own set of dedicated vents I’m wondering if this mod will cause the AC unit to short cycle given the massive bump in airflow over a smaller area of responsibility.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #18

Been a long winter doing mods to keep busy. I modified my A/C using this link provided as a guide. I have to admit it hasn't been hot enough to really put it to the test but I can confirm the air flow is a lot better. I have a 2015 24 FBS with 3 ducted outlets. In our previous RV I never liked the air dump direct from the A/C. To much noise. At this point all I can say is that the air flow seems a lot better and it runs quieter. In essence the A/C cover is now one large filtered air intake. I was able to do the mod with no damage to the stock air intake. I saved the old parts just in case I had to put it back.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Related airflow question. For the ducted system in the Precept (and I assume Alante?) - does one AC unit handle one section of air vents and the other AC unit handle a different section? Or do both units feed into common ductwork? Meaning both AC units push air through all the same vents across the entire coach.

I’m wondering how the dual thermostats handle the ACs spinning up and down throughout the day. And, if each AC handles its own set of dedicated vents I’m wondering if this mod will cause the AC unit to short cycle given the massive bump in airflow over a smaller area of responsibility.
To answer your question, yes. Each AC has its own set of "ducts" it feeds throughout the rig it appears. From what I remember the front thermostat controls the left side ducts in the rig and the and the bedroom thermostat controls the right side. If they do feed through the same system of ducts the system is garbage and does not work. I get 0 airflow out of 1 side of the ducts with just 1 or the other unit running. I will confirm it when I get my rig back from Ford at the end of next week. Its a 2021 Jayco Alante 29F.
American X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

Our ducts appear to be shared. We can feel air coming out of all vents when either AC is running by itself... Stronger airflow on the vents closest to the running unit.