Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #21

Don't know if you have ever seen the triangle with the sides labeled quality, schedule and cost. You can typically only get two of the three so you know where quality winds up.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Is it too much to expect an owners manual complete with instructions on how to properly use each each aspect of your rv/motor home in addition with schematics of your RV's inner workings with troubleshooting on how to solve potential problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you asking for one document or a collection of documents?

I received complete instructions but they were spread a cross multiple documents from multiple sources.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Are you asking for one document or a collection of documents?

I received complete instructions but they were spread a cross multiple documents from multiple sources.

I just want an owners manual like you get when you buy a car.
And do you have schematics of all the electrical , plumbing and audio visual components of your RV as well?

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #24

Quote:
And do you have schematics of all the electrical , plumbing and audio visual components of your RV as well?

I have the blue prints for my entire trailer. You have to request those from Jayco directly.

The owners manual(s) for my 2 Fords don't contain 'schematics'.

My camper came with an owners manual that's only slightly more generic than the one my truck came with.

One of the first things I did when I took the keys for my new camper was to get a large binder for everything that was inside that blue zippered folder that had all the docs in it from the various components unique to my model, year, build date, etc.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
Vicr, A bit tight in your Porsche to cook and sleep and have a 40" TV.
But you are right, nobody would buy a Porsche with those quality problems.
Jayco is the "Hyundai" of the RV industry... Every service rep I have work on this product says.... "Oh, you've got a Jayco, get used to this"....
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #26

Quote:

I do. I requested them from jayco and they emailed them to me. Not especially useful.

If you believe a trailer is close to a car then the manuals fall short.

If you believe the trailer is closer to a home, they are better.

But in my blue pouch were the manuals for every component from the furnace to the water heater.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #27

An RV dealer told me last Fall that the Japanese will entering the North American market soon ! This will no doubt force all these companies to pick up their slack. Because, you know the Japanese models will not have all these problems !
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaigle View Post
An RV dealer told me last Fall that the Japanese will entering the North American market soon ! This will no doubt force all these companies to pick up their slack. Because, you know the Japanese models will not have all these problems !
If true, this will be very interesting to watch. I would like to see the Japanese and other countries make TT and small camper units as well.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #29

This thread is laughable

All this talk about quality and how everyone here would pay extra for it is laughable.
The RV industry is littered with failed manufacturers who tried to make a higher quality product. Of course it cost a few dollars more and the consumers (as usual) opted to save a buck and buy the cheaper product.
Sorry, but the blame for RV quality lies squarely with the consumer.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #30

Let me get this straight...Tesla can build a ground-breaking, revolutionary vehicle for $100K, and yet you don't expect that same measure of quality from an RV manufacturer?! and Tesla built theirs entirely betting on the come with no real market yet! It's attitudes like the one you and other naysayers here have expressed that allowed the RV industry to put known defective products out to market knowing there's so very many DIY patsies who will still buy it...and either repair it themesrlves or sit waiting weeks for the dealer to make the fix. Guess there are just too many of you out there with a spare hundred-plus grand to toss around!
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwardho View Post
Let me get this straight...Tesla can build a ground-breaking, revolutionary vehicle for $100K, and yet you don't expect that same measure of quality from an RV manufacturer?! and Tesla built theirs entirely betting on the come with no real market yet! It's attitudes like the one you and other naysayers here have expressed that allowed the RV industry to put known defective products out to market knowing there's so very many DIY patsies who will still buy it...and either repair it themesrlves or sit waiting weeks for the dealer to make the fix. Guess there are just too many of you out there with a spare hundred-plus grand to toss around!
So let me ask you something. What brand of tools do you own? Do you own the cheaper Husky brand from Home Depot, or did you pay extra and get the best, Snap-On for the extra cost ? Unless you're a professional like me that uses his tools all the time, why would you because the lesser brands will suffice.
What I'm getting at is it's no different for a travel trailer. Why would I spend 80K on an Airstream that I will use 4 weekends a year, when a 30K Jayco will do ? If it was something that I was going to use all year long, then I could justify the extra cost.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
All this talk about quality and how everyone here would pay extra for it is laughable.
The RV industry is littered with failed manufacturers who tried to make a higher quality product. Of course it cost a few dollars more and the consumers (as usual) opted to save a buck and buy the cheaper product.
Sorry, but the blame for RV quality lies squarely with the consumer.
Bingo!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #33

I would definitely pay more for a better quality product. The question is, how much more? A couple thousand, sure. $10,000? Hmmmm. $50,00?, gee, that's a lot of money, how much better will it be? And I have spent more on what I thought were better products and have been disappointed in the past.

And then there is the point of deminishing return where you pay a lot more but get just a little more value. Is a Prevost really 10 times better than a Seneca?

Of course we could all band together and say "that's it RV industry, we are not buying until you get better quality". And after a while they will have to improve. Problem is, we all have a limited number of camping days left.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #34

Man there's some armchairs getting a workout today-- lol-- professional -- lol

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #35

Good discussion! Maybe I am wrong, but what I hear is: what you pay you will get. For that reason Jayco is still a good choice. Just compare some of the prices of the MH in Europe. They are much better built with high quality material etc. But the price, wow? $100,000 will not buy you a 35ft MH with slides, AC TV and much more.
If you are prepared to invest some of your own time to get problems fixed, the price is justified. However, I think it is not justified if your investment sits for weeks or months with the dealer and you cannot use it. Would you accept this from a car dealer? Or even a house builder?
I have accepted the fact that there could be problems with a purchase, as long the manufacturer stands behind and repairs it effectively in a timely matter. That’s why we have a warranty time. 2 years! not bad, again Jayco is the only one in this price class.
What I hear is that Jayco is pretty good in fixing problems. The most unsatisfied comments are in relation with the dealer. If your investment sits with the dealer for 2 months, in my opinion, the dealer is not expediting your issue hard enough and it is time to change dealer and inform Jayco that they maybe need to look for another dealer in the region.
If you are not prepared to dish out thousands of dollars more than you would pay for a Jayco, don’t complain, but push your dealer to stand behind the product that they sold you and keep Jayco in the loop with what is happening with your purchase. Don’t underestimate discussions like this one, forums in general and the media, they can crash a product like a fly. I am sure that Jayco (if they are smart) monitors this forum very closely. Just my 2 cents
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwardho View Post

I get the gist of your argument but if tesla didn't get so much government subsidies, they'd be out of business too. Seriously, how many people can afford a $100k car? You can't finance them for 12 years

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #37

Tom, on the west coast Tesla's are a dime a dozen, and Maserati's, and Porsche's and......
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #38

Just read an article today about the industry going smaller. Even Winnebago has purchased a company that makes small tt. 87% of Rv's are towed. The industry like most mfg have issues with getting qualified people willing to do manual work. Dealers have the same issues. As far as tesla...they are producing a vehicle that is 3 times the average vehicle...you can find the same in RV's. As others have said, you can build a high end almost perfect RV, but, just as with tesla only a small portion of the population can afford it or would buy it. You get what you pay for and with Jayco perhaps a tad more. You can certainly find great rigs, but are you willing to pay 1.5 million and up for a provost ? Most of us aren't. Thor who owns Jayco makes about 5% profit, not really ripping off the public.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #39

from my yrs of owning our 2015 31UL... I have found:
the Dealer turnaround on fixes is terrible . it should not take 2 months to
get simple parts and to replace/fix. In fact, when at dealer last week i found
a new laminated letter on the service desk letting owners basically know -
'there will be lots of issues with your new motorhome and when you bring it
to dealer you should anticipate 60+ days to get it back once dropping it off".

Jayco is TREMENDOUS. Everyone one i have interacted with (Sales, Service, etc.)
has been 100% customer oriented. I recently complained to Jayco about
my v1 Girard tankless system. In 2 days then sent me a new V2 model!

Another owner complained to Jayco about numerous initial issues and
lost time at delaer for fixes. Jayco added additional warranty time to their
original 2 yr warranty.

So, as long as Jayco continue to offer a very good product and reasonable prices
(value for your $$$) I would buy another Precept (just not from my current dealer).
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #40

Just for perspective...

I bought a 400K brand new home. The punch list (list of things needing attention) was two pages long. This is a very accredited builder. I built homes myself and the house didn't look that bad. I can tell you, that many hands in the pot will return imperfections and concerns. It's inevitable. Unless of course, you build your own home.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote