Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #1

AC

Does anyone know how to run the ac in the motorhome while driving?
We purchased a 2021 Alante 27A and so far we are happy! We are newbies to the rv world so any help would be appreciated!
Linda D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #2

I would think the best and possibly the only way would be to run your generator while enroute to your destination.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #3

X2 on running the generator. No way the engine could provide enough 12 volt system could provide enough power. Besides, that's what is designed to do.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #4

Yup, run the generator. I do it all the time.

Unless you install a MASSIVE 12V battery bank, inverter, and a TON of solar, and even then it won't run indefinitely. But that's really a whole different can of worms...

That being said, if the rig starts out cool, the cab AC can do a decent job keeping the front of the "house" comfortable most days. Depends on just how hot it is, and what the sun-load is like. If it's in the 90s, and it's cloudy, the cab AC does a good job. Just point the vents toward the rear. Usually I'm the only one in the cab, and I like it cold, so I am comfortable up there, and it keeps them comfortable in the rear.

DW hates running the generator en-route. She's worried about using up fuel, no matter how many times I tell her it's negligible. 33 ft Class C, loaded down, pushing air down the highway at 65 pulling a Jeep, the little bit the generator drinks is NOTHING compared to what the V-10 is guzzling up front!

My only advice is that if you're NOT going to run the generator, and thus no house AC en-route, and you have someone young or who can't speak or complain back there (like a kid or a dog), check the conditions often. When my son was a little younger, he'd sleep all the time riding back there. And wasn't really a "complainer" by nature, he was generally pretty easy-going. One day DW was driving the rig and I was playing "navigator"; I got up to go get something out of the back, and it was HOT back there. The kid was sweating buckets (asleep of course). We didn't notice because we had the dash settings where WE were comfortable in the cab.

These days he doesn't sleep as much on the road, and I make it a point to "check in" with him often to make sure it's not getting too hot back there if one of us isn't back there with him already.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #5

I have ran the generator while traveling so the A/C could run. However and as others have mentioned if just me an mine in the front, the dash A/C blows plenty cold for us. Many times instead of lowering the dash air temp or fan speed setting, I will point the vents so they blow into the RV area and blowing between the driver and passenger seats, that seems to cool off most of the RV except for the very rear section.

Keep in mind, that most of the onan 4000's (if not all and if that is what you have) generators state to change the oil at least every 150 hours and in hot or dusty conditions every 100 hours, so if you plan to run the generator quite a bit at other times of your travel (weekends or locations with no shore power), you may need to do an oil change for the generator during your travels (not that it is hard to do). That is another reason I try to avoid using my generator while driving, although I would run it if and when I have passengers (other than me and mine) and it was hot back there... although I rarely if ever have other passengers.

Another thought is to have a 12 volt fan blowing some of the cool air back into the coach area, same for heat in the winter.

~CA