Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #1

Adding ladder to exterior

Can you add an exterior ladder to a Jayco 31UL Precept? It did not come with one from the factory. I would like to be able to get on my roof without having to carry a multi-position ladder.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

Jayco says units without ladder do not have internal mounting supports.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #3

My Alante did not come with one, I got the rear wall block diagram from Jayco CS and it showed the backing blocks for where the ladder should be on the rear right. Took this to my installer and he had no trouble installing the ladder. Jayco told me they didn't install one as its a liability issue, too many old farts falling off the roof I guess but I need to get up there to clean off the solar panels occasionally, not to mention check the roof seams once a year for possible leak potential.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
Old 04-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #4

Trust me, a telescoping ladder is cheaper, sturdier, more convenient and doesn't punch two holes in your roof and multiple holes in the exterior. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought my trailer without the attached flimsy ladder that requires more maintenance. Besides, I usually want to get on the roof to clean off my slide. Its easier to prop a telescoping ladder at one end of the slide and blow it off.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

Actually my ladder is very secure, and I don't have to find a place to store it, plus it doubles as a mounting point for a bike rack or cloths dryer rack when needed. Never liked the telescoping ones much, and I bet my mounted cost less. Not worried about holes in my one piece fiberglass roof, I mean its not like there are not a few already there, just another seal to check, besides, on my Class A the roof is 11' up, so to get on the roof I would need at least a 12-14'' ladder!!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
Closed Thread