Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #1

Air Conditioner

I have a 2018 PRECEPT 29V and while spending the winter down south my front A/C unit went out. It is a heat pump a/c unit. My dealer just replaced it with a new unit. I brought it home and tested it out. There are 11 ducted vents in the ceiling between both front and rear units. Two vents from the front unit hardly put out any air. Repairman said it's because the air is going out so fast from the new unit that it's going past the vents. His solution was to open the vent on the a/c unit itself. That doesn't make sense to me and I worry that if it doesn't pour out cold air what will happen when I need to use the heat setting. Will it not give me heat either?
Anybody have this problem or have a suggestion as to why I don't get proper air from ducts. One is above the kitchen table and the other is straight across towards the sink.
Gaffer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:28 AM   #2

I'm presuming you only have 1 AC unit, correct? On edit you reference two units. My 2018 35s has two and some ducts up front are fed by the rear AC.

Run each AC unit by itself and you will see what ducts are connected to each unit. There is a logical purpose for this. I currently have 50A service and run my rear AC at 76 degrees and my front at 78 degrees during the day. This keeps the noise of the AC primarily in the bedroom while supplying cooling to the main living area. I reverse the temperature settings at each unit at night so the front AC unit runs and cools the bedroom while I'm sleeping.

This ducting also allows 1 AC unit to actually cool the entire RV on lower power connections where you can only run 1 AC at a time.

Typical issues relative to your post are crushed or disconnected ducting during assembly and/or air loss at the roof vents (some people use aluminum foil to seal around them).
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

Thanks for responding. I have 2 15k a/c units. One in rear and one in front. I wouldn't expect the ducts right next to the front unit would be fed by rear unit.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #4

Run the ACs individually and tell me what you find.
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #5

I don't have the RV home now. The shop has it for more work. However when the front AC went out and I needed it down South I ran the rear ac unit. I think air was coming out of rear and some in front ducts too. It wasn't enough to cool the RV as it was 95 degrees in the rv at the time. Had to run fans to draw cool air from bedroom.
I think if I remember correctly when the ac unit in front did work air was coming out of the ducts that it's not coming out of now. I think the repairman just doesn't want to tear it apart again to see what's wrong. Those louvers he wants me to open are meant for cooling off the front in a hurry without going through the ducts. Not a proper fix in my opinion.