Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Air conditioning

Jayco precept 31UL

Can I run the inverter or generator for the air conditioner while driving to keep the family cool in the back?
Jesse1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

Yes,,,Run the generator while traveling down the road I do.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Yes,,,Run the generator while traveling down the road I do.
As many people do....
Old 04-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #4

Perfect thanks. I had no idea you could. Thought it would overload the system. Does it double the gas bill?
Jesse1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse1138 View Post
Perfect thanks. I had no idea you could. Thought it would overload the system. Does it double the gas bill?
The average motorhome generator will use about a half-gallon per hour running at half of maximum load.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #6

That's not bad, I wonder what the difference is in gas usage to run the generator for air versus running the Ford's air?
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #7

If you have vent covers on your coach, try opening the far rear vent. Then have the Ford AC cool you down. The air will pull from the front through the back. I've driven my coach (pretty much the same length as yours) up and down the east coast during the summer; never needed to supplement the Ford A/C. Granted you might have higher ceilings than me, but worth a try to save some gas. I don't think the generator is going to be better on your wallet.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #8

In my experience, the Ford dash AC can maintain a coolish cabin temp in moderate weather. But we don't get much "moderate" weather around here. It's either boil your skin hot, or cold; only a few days a year anywhere in between.

So we'll often run with the generator on, running just the front AC unit since we have passengers riding in the rear. I don't tend to notice a big difference in fuel economy one way or the other. Like someone else said, the generator will burn .5-.7 gallons an hour or so? That's like 4-6 miles worth of fuel per hour? Not something I'm likely to notice. Same for the dash AC, maybe a slight drop in fuel economy, but not something I'm going to notice.

Wind direction and strength has a MUCH bigger effect on mileage. As does my foot on the long vertical pedal, and whether I have my Jeep in tow. And I've recently discovered that ethanol vs non-ethanol fuel makes a pretty significant difference as well. Those all account for pretty significant fuel mileage variances; the generator/AC, not so much...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

Our old 97 24' Tioga would stay nice and cool without running the rooftop AC up to 90F. It had the Chevy cab, and the AC could have made ice cubes. Above that, we'd fire up the generator and run the AC to cool off the rest of the house.

I'll second the idea of opening a back vent. That worked well for us to pull the cool air from the cab to the back.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoldsbury View Post
That's not bad, I wonder what the difference is in gas usage to run the generator for air versus running the Ford's air?
In our 31FK, the dash air won't cool the coach. So running the house AC is a must.

On ours, we go from 8.2 MPG with no generator running, to 8.2 MPG with the generator running.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
In our 31FK, the dash air won't cool the coach. So running the house AC is a must.

On ours, we go from 8.2 MPG with no generator running, to 8.2 MPG with the generator running.

+1

The dash AC definitely will not cool the coach down, but as I said, it CAN maintain a cooler temp in moderate weather. At least in a 30+ footer like mine. You gotta start with a cool house. If it's over about 75 outside, we're probably running the generator at least for long enough to cool it down, especially if it's a sunny day. Then we've been known to cut the AC/genny off and "maintain" with just the dash AC. Or after dark when the heat load decreases somewhat.

One pointer I always mention is that if you have passengers back there, especially pets or small children who are asleep or can't/won't complain, you should check the conditions often. My son sleeps a lot when we're in transit (or at least he used to, not so much any more). One not-particularly-warm day, he was asleep behind us, DW and I in the cab, after probably 2-2.5 hrs of driving, I went back to grab a drink and realized it was pretty warm back there. The boy was all sweaty. Turns out the dash AC wasn't keeping up with the "house", and it got a little "warm" back there. We were perfectly comfortable in the cab and didn't know it was getting so warm back there. Since he was asleep, he didn't complain. I reached over and cranked the generator and fired up the AC unit.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote