Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #1

Air Mattress doesn't fit the sofa

We have a 2020 Precept 31UL. We needed to use the the sofa bed this summer and came to quickly realize the air mattress is a true double, but the sofa width between the armrests is not. When you blow up the mattress it won't lay flat because it can't fit between the arm rests. It was totally not acceptable. The person found it difficult to sleep because they were on a slant the entire night. How are two supposed to sleep on it?

On a plus note the air mattress was easy to set up and take down.

How are you dealing with this issue? Have you contacted Jayco? I've been meaning to but haven't gotten around to it.
Twoshadycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Did you buy the air mattress from Jayco ( for that sofa) and that’s why your calling them? If you want it shorter you might be able to have it heat sealed to the width or length you need and cut off the excess.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #3

It's the air mattress that came with the MH. I've finally gotten around to emailing them.

To fit correctly the mattress needs to be narrower at the head, if it's cut narrower for the entire length it would only be good for 1 sleeper, not acceptable.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

Post this on the Class A forum. There are a lot of 31UL people there as well as other sites on the internet the admins here won't let me mention here.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

My bad I thought I was in the Class A forum.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

We had the same problem, but we made it fit within the armrests as we were inflating it and did not inflate it to its maximum. Our grandkids slept on it, and we lay down on it and it did seem ok.

Bill, 2019 Precept 31UL
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Call to Jayco-1st time- Maybe I got the wrong air mattress for our unit, they won't mail me the new part, I have to go through the dealer.

Call to Dealer- Do I know the part #? it sure would save me a lot of time looking it up. Me-OK I have the time and holding with Jayco was only 5 minutes.

Jayco 2nd time- They give me the part #, I ask for the measurements of air mattress. 54X75x12. That's also too big (blown up my air mattress is 52") I said my sofa only measures 49" from inside the armrest to inside armrest.

The representative from Jayco is now putting in a request to the 'research team' to look into it and they will get back to me. My take on this is that there are a bunch of Precept 31UL's with the wrong size air mattress. Hoping we can get this figured out soon, have an appointment with the dealer Nov. 8th and it sure would be nice to pick it up then.

To be continued.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #8

We have the 2020 31 UL also with same air mattress issue. Totally forgot about that when I took the rig in for some other warranty work...Glad I am not planning on using the sofa as a bed any time soon. Such a disappointment. Also cannot use the bumpers on the drop down bunk over cab....the mattress fits so tight in the frame I cant install the bumpers...no room for them. And the metal ladder cuts into your body as you try to slide off the mattress onto the ladder...real garbage..lack of attention to detail.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #9

I've been in contact with Jayco a number of times by email over the air mattress (AM) issue. They want a photo of the sofa "law tag". I have two tags on my sofa and neither one is what they are looking for ??

Jayco has been actively/attentively looking into this, I'll give them credit. I don't feel like I'm lost in a pile of complaints.

MY guess is that whoever made the decision as to what AM goes with what sofa wasn't standing in front of the sofa with a tape measure and with the bed pulled out. I think they just looked at the overall dimensions of the sofa and forgot about the arms. My husband looked up AM and 49" wide is not a standard size. I was hoping this would be a simple swap, that someone put the wrong AM in our unit, but it's not. I find it hard to believe I'm the first one to talk to Jayco about this. I'll have to ask the person, I'm emailing about that. I hope Jayco has other units that require a 49" air mattress. On an up note, it's a nice AM, it's used once, I hope we get to keep it.

Redfernj- that's one thing we have not used yet is the bunk, I will be checking that out this afternoon, thanks for a heads up. Can you sand down the barbs on the ladder? Wrap black duct tape? At least that would make it usable, till you talk with Jayco.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #10

redfernj: Just checked our overhead bunk. 1) I agree the mattress does fit snug in box. Took 2 of us to get the bumper to sit parallel in both slots at the same time, so both ends would slide evenly into the slots. We slide the mattress toward us over the bumper we just installed and then installed the front bumper and then put the mattress in place. Good news is the both bumpers can stay in place with the bunk in the up position. 2) I see what you mean about the barbs on the ladder (I found 3), my husband used a file and took care of them. I'm no spring chicken, and there's no graceful way for me to get on/off that bunk. I find it easier to use the dinette to get up and down and forgo the ladder, there's more to hold on to. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
...cannot use the bumpers on the drop down bunk over cab....the mattress fits so tight in the frame I cant install the bumpers...no room for them. And the metal ladder cuts into your body as you try to slide off the mattress onto the ladder...real garbage..lack of attention to detail.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:47 AM   #11

its not barbs but the way the ladder is constructed...going to try pipe insulation...
Old 11-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

Good Luck, I hope it works.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #13

Did they really say "research team"? Because that would be hilarious.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #14

We ended up using our aluminum dog crates and the dinette to step up high enough to get onto the bunk....will try the bumpers again when I have help. Thanks for the followup..
Old 11-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #15

Siamese,

Yes they did, LOL. They need some of those on the research team to be on the early end of the process who decides what size, model so they get it right the first time. Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Did they really say "research team"? Because that would be hilarious.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #16

Update:

I've heard back from my dealer and they received a new air mattress from Jayco. I guess the air mattress comes from Flexsteel. They sent the same size one, exactly like what came with the MH! I'm told that's all they have. Really? While I'm keeping this in perspective, it's not an essential piece of equipment. It's still an important piece of the puzzle for us and the enjoyment of our MH. I guess I calling/writing a letter to Flexsteel next. It just baffles me that they knowingly and repeatedly use a 'part' that is the incorrect size. To be continued.....
Warm holiday wishes to everyone.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #17

The mattresses do fit very snuggly, but they do fit. Also, you can connect the seatbelt over the mattress to really hold it down if it’s an issue for you. I do this all the time and it works great.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #18

Don, Thanks for the reply,

The mattress was about 6"+ too large, it's a standard double sized air mattress. Someone suggested not filling it full, well by the time I did that and had it laying flat. There wasn't enough air in it. It's just irritating that Jayco knowingly puts a product in that doesn't fit. We did get a new one from Jayco but I believe it's the same size. I haven't had time to check the new one, it's currently getting a new roof and isn't at home. The new roof is due to a tree limb falling on it at home.

I realize that in the big picture, the air mattress is small potatoes. It's just annoying. Overall we've got a great rig with no major issues, just small warranty issues that at this point have all been corrected with nine months left on the warranty.

Happy camping!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #19

I’m gonna stick to my guns and say I’ll bet your mattress will work. Believe me they seem too big, but it will wedge in there and especially if you use the seatbelt’s will work just fine. I’ll try to Attach a picture in a few days.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #20

Seat belt holding sofa air mattress in place

This is not the original mattress. It is definitely a few inches wider than the one that came with the RV. I searched high and low for an exact replacement on eBay and Amazon and could not find one. I did not try Jayco. However, as you can see in the picture the seatbelt holds it in place just fine. I have slept on it several times and using the seatbelt to hold it in place works great.
Attached Thumbnails
4AF3B2AD-2DF9-480C-A31E-189210B066F9.jpg   E370718D-40DE-4ADD-B771-C55247CBC826.jpg