Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Alante 26AY Slide issues

Cleaning under the slides (inside) and found a 3/8" locking nut, kept looking and found 2 more, then found a slide rail bearing just laying next to the slide rail, and I can see where it came from. The other 3 bearings (the front one from the rail missing one, and both on the other rail seem OK)
Anyone have experience with these? How hard to replace? need to jack up the partially open slide for access?
I have screw jacks and plenty of tools but not sure on the procedure, any suggestions. Downloading the manual now.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

One of my kitchen slide bearing fell out. I had dealer replace it.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
One of my kitchen slide bearing fell out. I had dealer replace it.
I can see where it goes, opened the slide a couple of feet and removed the dust boot covering the slide rail. I tried several things to get it back in but no room to get the bolt back in the hole without the bearing body hitting the rail side, not sure how the dang thing fell out in the first place. Looks like I will have to unbolt the first 2 or 3 sets of rail bolts to get it to move over the 1/4" I need to get it in. Waiting on a reply from Lippert, my warranty has expired but I do have an extended, just hoping this will be covered if I end up having to take it in.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 AM   #4

I was going to put it back in but dropped the bearing in the garage. The outer race separated and the needle bearing fell everywhere. I couldn't find them all so off to the dealer and fortunately I was under warranty. The tech said it was a pita and had to do some dismantling to get it in.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #5

That's what I am afraid of also, I downloaded the service manual from Lippert and the instructions for replacing the bearing looks pretty involved. My question is if it is so hard, with so many steps to install how did it just 'fall' out?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

It evidently was loose. We heard a lot of crunching when ours fell out under the sink.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
It evidently was loose. We heard a lot of crunching when ours fell out under the sink.
Got it back in, supported the slide at full extension with a screw jack, removed 4 sets of rail lag bolts, moved the rail over 1/4" and installed the bearing, then replaced it all. Works great. Took the time to add blue lock tight to the nut, as well as to the other three bearing nuts, don't want another issue with them. Instead of just falling out it could have either jammed the slide or crunched something.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #8

Good news JesseS. Why they don't add blue loctite at factory I'll never know. Maybe I do. Cheaper and faster.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Hey JesseS, Is this the roller that came loose on your AY? Looks like a steel roller with a nylon roller(?), or maybe that’s a nylon stop behind it.
I took the front off the inside of the dinette slid, there were 6 screws holding it in place.
Sorry the photo uploaded upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
4C55C9E0-7AC7-41FB-A083-311CD72BB7F2.jpg  
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
Hey JesseS, Is this the roller that came loose on your AY? Looks like a steel roller with a nylon roller(?), or maybe that’s a nylon stop behind it.
I took the front off the inside of the dinette slid, there were 6 screws holding it in place.
Sorry the photo uploaded upside down.
Yep, that's the one, but that is the inboard one, there are four, mine that came off was the forward outboard one, so I have to access it from the outside under the slide after removing the dust boot on the track. In your photo do you see the bolt and nut in the center left? there are two of those, and mine are not there, I found the nuts but it seems the bolts fell back inside the bracket, so the whole thing has to come off. I am so pissed!! at Jayco's crappy work.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #11

When you say you took the front inside of the slide off do you mean the carpeted lip on the front? I looked at that but didn't see the screws due to the carpet
Old 02-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

Yep. The screws are buried in the carpet. The front is a separately carpeted board. I slid a butter knife between the front price and the slide floor to locate the screws then you need to search for the screw head. It is all one piece with just carpet at the 90 degree joints so that makes it flexible.

I’ve been worried about those bearings since I read your post. Luckily all four of my inside ones were tight.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
Yep. The screws are buried in the carpet. The front is a separately carpeted board. I slid a butter knife between the front price and the slide floor to locate the screws then you need to search for the screw head. It is all one piece with just carpet at the 90 degree joints so that makes it flexible.

I’ve been worried about those bearings since I read your post. Luckily all four of my inside ones were tight.
Good deal, I will pull mine off to see if there is a way to get to the missing bolts without a complete dismantle. Just in case I have an apt with my RV repair guy. I will be using lock tight on everything I have to replace or tighten, something Jayco should have done. There is no way those bolts should have come loose on a 2016 unless they wern't tightened in the first place.