Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

Alante 26X snowbirds

My wife and I are both teachers and plan of becoming snowbirds. We live in New Brunswick, Canada and plan on staying in Florida for the winters.

We own a Jayco Jay Feather X17Z and we spend a good 45 or more days every summer camping with our son. We are currently starting to plan for the switch to a class A motor home.

Would the Alante 26X be a good choice? Is it a well made rig? The floors in our X17Z hybrid is very flexible and feels cheap when walking on it. Would the Alante be the same.
Auto_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #2

We have a 2016 Alante 26AY, a floor plan that isn’t made any more, but met our needs. We take it to Florida for January to the end of March. Being under 30’ opens more spots for camping as opposed to the larger motor homes.

I would consider the quality similar to other entry level motorhomes. The floors feel solid. The two us have no problem living in it for extended vacations.

We are currently averaging 9.7mpg, I drive 60mph, so that helps with the gas mileage. We have put 18,000 miles on it last year with no problems except those little odds and ends that every RV has.

Hope that helps a bit.

We shopped for a year and looked a just about every small class a. We had a number of specific requirements that we needed. I primarily was looking for used motorhomes, but we found this new leftover unit and it “checked all our boxes”. It was cheaper than a number of late model used units!
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

You should really consider the 29S, it’s only 3.8 feet longer, but has substantially more storage space, drives much better because of the longer wheelbase, and the price difference is worth it. We were looking at the 26, then looked at the 29 and it has too many pluses over the 26.

The 26X has hardly any bedroom storage. The 26 also only has one AC, versus 2 in the 29S.

I don’t think it would be a decision you’d regret.
Barrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrick View Post
You should really consider the 29S, it’s only 3.8 feet longer, but has substantially more storage space, drives much better because of the longer wheelbase, and the price difference is worth it. We were looking at the 26, then looked at the 29 and it has too many pluses over the 26.

The 26X has hardly any bedroom storage. The 26 also only has one AC, versus 2 in the 29S.

I don’t think it would be a decision you’d regret.
Thank you for the recommendation! We are not set on the 26 at all! Due to it being end of the RV season the dealer here don't have much. We were looming at the 26 but will definitely be looking at more like the 29.
Auto_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #5

We have the 31 ul and live in it 5 months or so thru the year, 2 months in Florida over the winter. Can't comment on the smaller units but it has enough storage and room for two people and a large dog. We especially like the opposing slides that open up the living area. If camping in cold weather I would get the truma on demand water heater or a conventional water heater. The Girard is a crapper in cold weather or a park with low water pressure.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote