Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Alante and Precept Steering Stabilizers

Hi all,

I went shopping for a steering stabilizer today. The two units recommended by the dealer were the Safe-T-Plus, and the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer. They said that they install far more of the Roadmasters, but that may be because it's almost 300.00 less expensive.

The tech said that they are almost identical in their performance.

Anybody have any input?

Thanks!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #2

We had the Safe T Steer put on recently and it has made a huge difference (along with changing out the Bilsteins for Koni's). I'm sure my husband (Vicr) will chime in on this for you. Guess we can't say which stabilizer is better, but we're happy with the Safe T Steer.
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

We had then Sate-T-Plus put on our Alante a few days after we bought it. It made a white knuckle drive into a more pleasant experience. the folks at the Safe-T-Plus factory were great to us. It took them about 25 minutes to install, followed by a drive with the installer to adjust it to my liking.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

We installed the Roadmaster. I am very happy with it. However, do not think that after installing it your MH is now driving by himself. This is mostly a safety device.
Please read this: Roadmaster

Our installer said the same, that both (Safe-T-Plus or Roadmaster) are about the same. I liked the Roadmaster better as it looked a little more robust, but that is personal preference.

It made a difference with crosswind or trucks passing on the highway, but you still have to relax behind the steering wheel and be aware of the environment around you.

I think the biggest difference in regarding handling was the tire pressure. We run around 95psi.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #5

Thanks all,

I guess that because the two products are pretty much the same, I'll get the Roadmaster, and save the 300.00 bucks. I understand that Roadmaster also makes good anti-sway bars, that work better than the original equipment. I'll look into those next....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

I put it on my from E-Trailer and it doesn't work I called them but they must be to busy to call me back .
DDailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

The Roadmaster has an open spring so road trash can get between the coils, not the Safe-T-Steer, also the STS has 400lbs of tension both directions, not sure about the Roadmaster as they don't state it. I have had both and I prefer the STS. If you get one the most important thing is having the wheels perfectly straight when the piston is clamped to the tie rod, otherwise it will not track true. I can let go of the wheel on a smooth road and the coach will go straight down the lane. This is not a fix all but it does help a lot, and can be a life saver in the event of a front tire blowout.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #8

Precept Steering Stabilizer

We had a Safe-T-Plus installed on our 2018 Precept 31UL by the factory outside of Atlanta Ga in June 2018. I was having steering and stabilization problems due to the front end alignment. Had the alignment done 3 times in about 6 months and finally a Ford Dealer, Gator Ford in Tampa was able to correct the pulling to the right. Jayco paid for every one of them. Still have a steering wheel tipped about 15 degrees. Back to the stabilizer, I actually purchased/had it installed as I saw one of our club members have a front blow out with the Safe-T-Plus unit. He was able to control his 38' rig and come to a controlled stop. When I researched that most MH's go over in a front blowout...I was sold. After having it installed been traveling and have put over 12,000 miles. Would not drive without it as it is a great investment for ease of driving and SAFETY.
Parhole1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

I installed the Roadmaster on my 2018 Alante in conjunction with doing the CHF on both front and rear stock sway bars. The changes made a significant difference in handling. Just finished 4,000 + miles through the midwest with strong wind on I-90 through South Dakota and Minnesota along with wind and trucks through Wyoming on I-80. While still affected it was not a white knuckle ride like it was before the changes.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #10

We had the Roadmaster installed by dealer before taking delivery. Also we had the alignment done after the install. Only problem that we have been unable to fix is front end vibration at different speeds on highways. Found tires were out of balance and had them re-balanced. still having problem.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
We had the Roadmaster installed by dealer before taking delivery. Also we had the alignment done after the install. Only problem that we have been unable to fix is front end vibration at different speeds on highways. Found tires were out of balance and had them re-balanced. still having problem.
Is the vibration mostly throughout the coach or only felt through the steering wheel?
And did you have the rear tires re-balanced?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

I had the Safe-T-Plus installed by the factory in Atlanta in March of 2017. I posted the results in this forum after that.

Ford aligned the front end before we took ownership but unfortunately the coach was empty, without any cargo. I'm not sure how 1500 (more or less) pounds of stuff will affect alignment.

After installing the stabilizer we continued on to Myrtle Beach and back through TN to home. There was a noticeable improvement in steering but it still has the notion to drift right or left depending on the highway.

Since that time I have completed the CHF which was a significant improvement in handling. Body roll is reduced quite a bit and handling is a bit better, I'm not fighting the steering wheel as much.

I posted today in another thread that the Bilstein shocks feel as if they are just fixed rods, I can't tell that they are absorbing any of the road shock, sort of like riding a Harley hard tail.

IMHO the Ford F53 is a poor choice for a motor home chassis. If you look at any of the motor home forums where users have this chassis owners are adding all sorts of aftermarket hardware in an effort to improve the ride.

It is what it is and as an owner I've decided to live with the issues since we average less than 5K miles per year. If we were full timers that decision would likely be different.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #13

I can relate to the Bilstein shocks feeling like solid bars, I switched to Koni's and that helped a lot, but the real problem is the lightly loaded front springs, not enough weight to allow the shocks to do their jobs. My solution was to replace the OEM springs with de-rated ones, progressive 5 leaf springs and air bag sets, now the coach rides very well, almost as smooth as my Class C did.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Is the vibration mostly throughout the coach or only felt through the steering wheel?
And did you have the rear tires re-balanced?
The vibration is localized to front end steering wheel and dash that looks like is flexing about two or three inches at times. it does not look like any of the wheel weights are missing after a 5000 mile trip.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
The vibration is localized to front end steering wheel and dash that looks like is flexing about two or three inches at times. it does not look like any of the wheel weights are missing after a 5000 mile trip.
Have all the front end suspension components including things such as ball joints been thoroughly inspected?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I can relate to the Bilstein shocks feeling like solid bars, I switched to Koni's and that helped a lot, but the real problem is the lightly loaded front springs, not enough weight to allow the shocks to do their jobs. My solution was to replace the OEM springs with de-rated ones, progressive 5 leaf springs and air bag sets, now the coach rides very well, almost as smooth as my Class C did.
Jesse, can you share the cost of Koni shocks, new springs and air bags?

This is exactly what I said in my previous post, owners spend more money to make a bread truck chassis ride with some modicum of comfort.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #17

Not a class A, but I installed the Roadmaster Reflex on my class C, and front end handling is greatly improved. My next add on will likely be a bigger sway bar up front.

FWIW, I went with the Roadmaster because both it and the STS are VERY highly rated, quality products, but I am a bit price-sensitive, so I went with the cost savings.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #18

Installed safe-t-plus, and Henderson rear trac bar. BTW, 2016 F-53 chassis does not allow CHF to front sway bar ( that I'm aware of. If I'm mistaken, PLEASE enlighten me)
Improvements have made a big improvement in handling.

HOWEVER,
The realization that we are driving a 30+' billboard down the highway should help to inform those new to the experience, that it's NEVER going to be like driving a car.

(There is no substitute to driving experience, and realistic expectations.)
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
Installed safe-t-plus, and Henderson rear trac bar. BTW, 2016 F-53 chassis does not allow CHF to front sway bar ( that I'm aware of. If I'm mistaken, PLEASE enlighten me)
Improvements have made a big improvement in handling.
[/U][/B])
I have a 2016 Precept F53 chassis and have done the CHF on both front and rear. Front was more difficult because the leaf springs interfered with replacing the bolt in the rear hole of the torsion bar but finally got-r-done. In my opinion, CHF really improves the body roll on our 35S.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
I have a 2016 Precept F53 chassis and have done the CHF on both front and rear. Front was more difficult because the leaf springs interfered with replacing the bolt in the rear hole of the torsion bar but finally got-r-done. In my opinion, CHF really improves the body roll on our 35S.
I have the 2017 31UL, built on a 2016 22,000 lb F-53 chassis. As I see it, the front sway bar bracket is not set up well for the CHF. The rear sway bracket looks like it would be easy to do though.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote