Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #1

Alante Charging Battery Charging Questions

Looking at how the batteries are charged in the manual is vague at best.
When on shore power with the coach turned off;
-are the coach and chassis batteries charging?
-or does the coach need to be turned on for the coach and chassis batteries to be charged?
Hope this makes sense..
BTW our Alante is not here at the house or I could check......it is is for a recall.
TIA
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #2

The house batteries are charged when connected to shore power. Chassis battery charges from the alternator.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:15 AM   #3

I did find this in the manual;
"When the power cord is plugged into 120-volt shore power, or when the generator (if so equipped) is operational, the inverter/charger functions as a multi-stage battery charger and will automatically charge the house auxiliary batteries when required. A bi-directional charge relay incorporated into the electrical system allows the inverter/charger to charge the chassis batteries once the house auxiliary batteries are sufficiently charged.
The chassis alternator charging system supplies power to the house auxiliary batteries when the engine is running and the chassis batteries are sufficiently charged"
Old 11-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #4

It’s amazing what can be learned by reading the manual.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:34 AM   #5

Yes, it is......but the manual does not address whether or not the house power switch needs to be turned on in order to charge the house batteries.
When I get the unit back I will investigate with a voltmeter.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
It’s amazing what can be learned by reading the manual.
I agree with your assessment Vicr but unfortunately in today’s society owners manuals are written to be so generic so as to cover all makes and models. There is language included like “if so equipped” or “see options included for your specific model” or something similar. So while the manual is definitely helpful you still need to know what you have. And this applies to everything from small appliances to autos to lawnmowers to snowblowers to RV’s to you name it. And do we really need a copy of it in more than one language?
We’re several posts into this thread already and the OP has not been able to determine from the manual that the battery disconnect switch needs to be on for the house batteries to charge. Most of us know that is the case but we probably didn’t read it in the manual either. I guess one of the good things is the generic vagueness of the owners manual will keep this and similar forums going for a long time. LOL.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
I agree with your assessment Vicr but unfortunately in today’s society owners manuals are written to be so generic so as to cover all makes and models. There is language included like “if so equipped” or “see options included for your specific model” or something similar. So while the manual is definitely helpful you still need to know what you have. And this applies to everything from small appliances to autos to lawnmowers to snowblowers to RV’s to you name it. And do we really need a copy of it in more than one language?
We’re several posts into this thread already and the OP has not been able to determine from the manual that the battery disconnect switch needs to be on for the house batteries to charge. Most of us know that is the case but we probably didn’t read it in the manual either. I guess one of the good things is the generic vagueness of the owners manual will keep this and similar forums going for a long time. LOL.
WELL SAID
Mark
Old 11-28-2020, 03:30 AM   #8

Yes, well said indeed!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustoner View Post
Looking at how the batteries are charged in the manual is vague at best.
When on shore power with the coach turned off;
-are the coach and chassis batteries charging?
-or does the coach need to be turned on for the coach and chassis batteries to be charged?
Hope this makes sense..
BTW our Alante is not here at the house or I could check......it is is for a recall.
TIA
Stu, yours charge both on shore? I have 2021 Alante 31V and manual vague too.

I store outside storage and use solar to trickle chassis.
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:32 AM   #10

Yes, when on shore power both coach and chassis my batteries are kept charged.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:49 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
I did find this in the manual;
"A bi-directional charge relay incorporated into the electrical system allows the inverter/charger to charge the chassis batteries once the house auxiliary batteries are sufficiently charged."

It may say this in the manual, but its not true. My 2019 31V does not have this and my chassis batery died multiple times while plugged in. I had to add an amp-l-start to keep the chassis batery charged, see this thread. If you look at the schematic from Jayco, you will see this is not the case. There is no bi-directional relay. When the ignition switch is turned on, the aux relay is closed and the chassis and house batteries are connected so the alternator can charge both. If you look at the converter cable, you see it goes just to the disconnect and the house batteries, nothing to the chassis battery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Entegra 31V Battery Schematic.pdf (167.3 KB, 25 views)
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:26 PM   #12

I’ll try this shortly when we bring home, looks like lows above freezing mid March here in SW Ohio.

We have 50 watt solar we use at storage site for batteries. Some day will just leave in driveway on 30amp and tick off neighbors in Winter. Lol

SUNER POWER 12V Waterproof Solar Battery Trickle Charger & Maintainer - 50 Watts Solar Panel Built-in Intelligent MPPT Solar Charge Controller + Adjustable Mount Bracket + SAE Connection Cable Kits

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LDM59Y9...3P85HPAKZ5VF2Q

#Bru_Tube

Old 03-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
It may say this in the manual, but its not true. My 2019 31V does not have this and my chassis batery died multiple times while plugged in. I had to add an amp-l-start to keep the chassis batery charged, see this thread. If you look at the schematic from Jayco, you will see this is not the case. There is no bi-directional relay. When the ignition switch is turned on, the aux relay is closed and the chassis and house batteries are connected so the alternator can charge both. If you look at the converter cable, you see it goes just to the disconnect and the house batteries, nothing to the chassis battery.
Yep, nothing installed on our 2021 Alante 31V for such.
Attached Thumbnails
191FFF61-7FA0-4E5B-9E12-52C2AB95A1CD.jpg  
Old 03-23-2022, 08:59 AM   #14

I found out the hard way that the chassis battery in my 2018 Alante 31V does not get charged when on shore power. It totally died when in storage this winter and cracked the battery casing (multiple days of -20 and below). I have my rig covered so could not access the battery to attach a trickle charger. So I now have a new $100 battery plus I bought Amp-l-start also and am installing. My manual says it will charge the chassis battery only when the key is in the "ON" position. Also, I usually start the engine every 2-3 weeks all winter and when it was near dead (clicking only) I hit the Battery Boost switch to connect the house battery to the chassis battery and nothing. I have used this successfully in the past but it did not work this time. Any suggestions about this?
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:57 PM   #15

Battery Charging

Quote:
Yes, it is......but the manual does not address whether or not the house power switch needs to be turned on in order to charge the house batteries.
When I get the unit back I will investigate with a voltmeter.

I was told with my Alante to switch the main power to on, then plug into shore power doing so will charge the house battery while connected to shore power.
samalf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #16

I've had both engine and house batteries fail despite everything being turned off. I noticed several months ago that the leveler panel next to the drivers seat had to be turned off manually even though the house battery was turned OFF and the engine was off. It appeared that the flashing red lights on the panel only dimmed when I turned it off. Now two dead batteries. Anyone else experience this? Thanks!
ekunigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #17

No. Seems you use that panel in the cab with motor on? Only time I see that on.

I use the phone App to level and have parking brake engaged and motor off. Been fine for over a year.

#Bru_Tube

Old 10-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
I found out the hard way that the chassis battery in my 2018 Alante 31V does not get charged when on shore power. It totally died when in storage this winter and cracked the battery casing (multiple days of -20 and below). I have my rig covered so could not access the battery to attach a trickle charger. So I now have a new $100 battery plus I bought Amp-l-start also and am installing. My manual says it will charge the chassis battery only when the key is in the "ON" position. Also, I usually start the engine every 2-3 weeks all winter and when it was near dead (clicking only) I hit the Battery Boost switch to connect the house battery to the chassis battery and nothing. I have used this successfully in the past but it did not work this time. Any suggestions about this?
I just have/bought the AMP L start, when on shore power and storage mode, master switch by steps on, everything else off, solves all that. Charges both just fine. No key in ignition either.

If not the key in ignition the cause, nothing else drawing power? Xantrex off? I only turn that on when driving or boondocking.

Took a page from Fortm with the Amp l start, he should write a book on his mods.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #19

"If so equipped" is scattered about the owners manual of my 2018 Alante 31R. I do not believe that my chassis battery charges when on shore power.

My simple solution is to quick connect a Battery Tender to the chassis battery when in storage or when connected to shore power for stays longer than a week.

(The house batteries are maintenance charged with solar panels. The controller does have a second bank feature which I've considered connecting to the chassis battery - but the trickle charger set up is working, so not worth messing with that.)
SamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Took a page from Foretm with the Amp l start, he should write a book on his mods.
He did...

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-91295.html
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote