Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2022, 10:07 AM   #1

Alante seats are delaminating

I looked for post about this but didn't see anything. The plastic material that the seat is covered with is coming apart. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I'm waiting to see if I can order replacement covers from Jayco, but I would think they would hold up a little better. Its only the plastic material that's braking down not the foam on the seat.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:40 AM   #2

How old is your Alante, just out of interest?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:41 AM   #3

2017, that I picked it up Jan 15th 2018
Old 06-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #4

4.5 years isn't a lot of time. Disappointing.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
I looked for post about this but didn't see anything. The plastic material that the seat is covered with is coming apart. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I'm waiting to see if I can order replacement covers from Jayco, but I would think they would hold up a little better. Its only the plastic material that's braking down not the foam on the seat.
Join the queue, not sure if I'd want replacement covers from Jayco though. Mine were recovered at a local upholstery shop.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #6

I talked to local shop about recovering mine, and the guy looked them over and said $3500 for driver and pass.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I talked to local shop about recovering mine, and the guy looked them over and said $3500 for driver and pass.
That's only 3-4 times what he should be charging. Dude saw you coming and took a shot at it.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:30 PM   #8

The leather that many (if not most) rv manufactures have been using is known as "Pleather" and is not a durable product. I replaced my seats about 5 years ago with new seats and "UltraLeather" which is very durable. However the company I used (FlexSteel) doesn't make RV furniture anymore. When I ordered the new seats, the fabric was in of itself over half the costs.

I would ask the re-upholstery shop what fabric they used in their quote and I would call around to get some competitive prices, but be sure to specify the material, which I would recommend the "UltraLeather" and wouldn't use anything else. ~CA
Old 06-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
The leather that many (if not most) rv manufactures have been using is known as "Pleather" and is not a durable product. I replaced my seats about 5 years ago with new seats and "UltraLeather" which is very durable. However the company I used (FlexSteel) doesn't make RV furniture anymore. When I ordered the new seats, the fabric was in of itself over half the costs.

I would ask the re-upholstery shop what fabric they used in their quote and I would call around to get some competitive prices, but be sure to specify the material, which I would recommend the "UltraLeather" and wouldn't use anything else. ~CA
Unfortunately, even though the industry knows the materials they're using is going to fail in just a few short years they continue using it. Reason being, it's cheap. Back in the 60's, 70's and up into the 80's and 90's the manufactured housing industry was using particle board ( not to be confused with OSB) as interior decking in their units. Of course as soon as it got wet it turned to oatmeal. Did they discontinue using particle board? Nope, they just renamed it Novadeck ( which is latin for "lipstick on a pig"). Did it keep turning to oatmeal when it got wet, of course. Did they care, of course not, the problems usually occurred subsequent to the warranty period.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
That's only 3-4 times what he should be charging. Dude saw you coming and took a shot at it.
That's what I thought when he quoted me. I have some larger towns near me that I'm going to get estimates for "ultraleather"
Old 06-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #11

FYI, someone close to me reminded me that the UltraLeather was not half the cost of the replacement chairs that I purchased, but that the UltraLeather was a more expensive option. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
FYI, someone close to me reminded me that the UltraLeather was not half the cost of the replacement chairs that I purchased, but that the UltraLeather was a more expensive option. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.
UltraLeather comes highly recommended. It is most likely the better choice IMHO.
According to a couple of shops I have talked to, because of regulations the vinyl
on the seats is really a plastic.
Whatever reason I don't want to use that type of material, I'll pay the extra for better quality.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #13

My 2017 Greyhawk had the same issue. I pulled the dinette and the couch and took it to a well regarded automotive upholstery guy in my area. He did show me the whole post mortem, and the original material is just a cheap cloth with a heat pressed plastic on it. The foam in the couch was a two piece flimsy stuff not suitable for an adult. He also advised me the springs under the seat we're inadequate. The springs are nothing more than coat hanger wires that in time cut into the foam and ruin the seats. He showed me what the springs should look like. There should be a plastic webbing between the springs that add support so the springs don't slice into the foam like a piece of cake. I spent $1000 to have the dinette and couch redone but the drivers and passenger seats have the same problem. One of our members has a 2017 with 50,000 miles on it and all the upholstery in the whole rig is ruined and must be replaced. If you upgrade don't forget to change the springs. They are inadequate for adult use.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #14

Yep my upholstery delaminated on my 2017 Alante 26x. Jayco should be ashamed of themselves for the junk that they used. I replaced the jack knife sofa with a Rec Pro 58” love seat dual recliner(really great but $900). The dinette’s four cushions cost $450 to be recovered at an auto upholstery company. And, the driver’s and passenger’s seats were recovered with seat covers from Amazon(RV Designer that have held up well and look ok). ($85 for two).
Captnjimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:46 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnjimk View Post
Yep my upholstery delaminated on my 2017 Alante 26x. Jayco should be ashamed of themselves for the junk that they used. I replaced the jack knife sofa with a Rec Pro 58” love seat dual recliner(really great but $900). The dinette’s four cushions cost $450 to be recovered at an auto upholstery company. And, the driver’s and passenger’s seats were recovered with seat covers from Amazon(RV Designer that have held up well and look ok). ($85 for two).
Not only Jayco, but that doesn't excuse Jayco for knowingly continuing to use this garbage they know is going to fail.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #16

Thanks for the feedback, I'm getting bids but still a thousand per seat. Covers might be my best bet.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, I'm getting bids but still a thousand per seat. Covers might be my best bet.
Other people have done covers and it doesn't help. They still fail under the covers. If I had to do it again I would just buy higher quality furniture cause you just end up throwing good money after bad.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #18

Had my captains chairs, recliners, and dinette recovered in April, $5300. Very satisfied.
2020 F150 Sport Toad
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #19
Al1

Redhawk 2016

My recliner couch is a mess. I contacted a person who said they would recover it, but when she saw it she backed out. Now I'm going to try a stick on material that I just received from Amazon. ?????
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #20

I am finding that I can buy new replacement seats for less than a thousand dollars. Most bids I have got are around the same, with a two month wait time. I have reached out to see what kind of quality I get for a Thousand each.