Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #1

Alante Shower never gets hot

Ok, first trip out with 2021 Alante 31V and no hot water gets to the shower. Although all other faucets get hot even the outside shower does. Never easy eh? It has a single handle faucet. Maybe something with the single handle mix valve setting? Attached pic. Suggest removing and tweaking? Also, the heat control panel in bathroom never indicates heat when shower on, but the other faucets trigger it. Could it be they forgot to hook up at factory?

Good thing we are close to shower house, very clean by the way. Lebanon KOA.

Anyone know the trick or do I need to call dealer/tech?

Running in city water mode.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
BA1F347C-B386-4035-82D2-CBCC5649A191.jpg  
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #2

That's a bummer!

Easy answer first. If the PEX water line was not connected to the faucet, when you flip the faucet to mid temp, you will get lots of water flowing out of the disconnected pipe connection. Also when ever you had water pressure, the water would free flow out of the open ended pipe. So if there is no major water leak this will not be the issue.

I suspect a defective faucet, maybe some construction debris, in the passage between the pipe connection and where the hot and cold water merge into a single stream.

If you flip the faucet to pure hot water, what happens? No flow, very little flow? lots of flow but it never gets hot? By chance what happens when you flip the faucet to pure cold? Does the water stay cold or by chance get hot. Maybe they flipped the hot and cold water lines, aka hot is cold and cold is hot???

You should have an access panel behind the shower handle. It might be, under a sink, or in an access in a pantry wall? Sometimes Jayco screws shut the panel, sometimes they staple in a false panel that needs to be removed carefully.

If you are at home, you can open the grey water, and run the water through the lines to test and dump it in the grass.

Good luck

Edit; relooking at your images. Your access might be that white plastic panel the faucet is connected to. Might have to remove the four screws and pull it forwards. Do look at your water proofing method when putting it back together.

Do you have a tankless water heater? If so, if you do not have enough water flow, the water heater flow sensor, will not signal the heater to turn on. Construction Debris could reduce the flow. Have you taken off the shower hose, and seen if you get enough flow to activate the water heater? Maybe there is to much restriction at the shower head (construction debris???).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I read somewhere that the '21s are coming with tankless WH... in which case the flow could very well be the issue. I would try turning the shower to hot and opening another hot faucet at the same time. If it gets hot in the shower with the other faucet on, but not when the shower is on by itself, its a flow issue.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #4

Yes, tankless, getting maybe 40psi at camp source on pressure meter. Tankless manual states it likes 45 and higher PSI.

Shower…Flows good, no matter where I have it, stays cold. Will try to run without head.

I do have my two hoses hooked up, one for clean and one to flush king. Might just unhook the king for now, got two more days here, lol.

Stay tuned!

#Bru_Tube

Old 05-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

If the other faucets are working, then its not a lack of pressure. I would bet on a lack of flow or the faucet is hooked up wrong. I would remove the shower head and see if there is a flow restrictor between the hose and shower head. If so you may need to remove it. Testing it with the showerhead removed should test the same.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #6

Darn it, I thought I tried the opposite way but tried again and it works.

See pic, about 10 o’Clock is the trick.

All good!

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
1C6BEAB1-286C-4AD4-9BCA-FB19CD6674F1.jpg  
Old 05-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post

All good!

Thanks all!
Glad you got it!

I understand the shower handle thing. Was traveling for work a few weeks ago, and the shower handle labeling did not even come close to what was actually happening :O.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #8

Glad you got it working.... hot showers are pretty critical...
Old 05-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:

All good!

Thanks all!

Lol, well at least you didn't have to tear it out, lol so glad you figure it out.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #10

For what it's worth, Pretty sure ours is plumbed backwards. It takes a minute to get hot water to the shower, but if you turn it to hot as indicated, it's just cold water, but if you just crack it on, you'll get hot water.
smrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #11

That makes no sense, unless you're flowing too much water for the heater to keep up. So if you crack it and get hot water, then open it more the water will get cooler since your water is moving faster through the heater, but you're saying all the way open it gets back to cold?

No offense, but this is one the main reasons I have the tankless water heaters. Too finicky.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
That makes no sense, unless you're flowing too much water for the heater to keep up. So if you crack it and get hot water, then open it more the water will get cooler since your water is moving faster through the heater, but you're saying all the way open it gets back to cold?

No offense, but this is one the main reasons I have the tankless water heaters. Too finicky.
Correct, you crack it for full hot, then as you open it further it cools off. Plumbed backwards. And we are tank heater, not tankless.
smrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:48 AM   #13

It's not hooked up backwards. Crack open for hot, the further you turn it then it cools off. My 2020 Alante is the same way. I know it is hooked up correctly because I had to tear the faucet off the wall due to leaking pex lines inside the wall. Hot and Cold lines were correctly hooked up to the faucet.

I believe the issue is the faucet mixer design inside the handle. I've looked into replacing this faucet with a 2 handle conventional faucet, that way you can adjust the hot and cold flow independently.

this pic is one I've considered ordering.
Attached Thumbnails
faucet.jpg  
MikeRV4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrpilot View Post
Correct, you crack it for full hot, then as you open it further it cools off. Plumbed backwards. And we are tank heater, not tankless.
Our 2021 31V is tankless.

Just a goofy design flaw.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Our 2021 31V is tankless.

Just a goofy design flaw.

On a tankless this makes sense, as the faster the water moves the cooler it will get. But if its a tank heater, then its got to be something with the mixer valve.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #16

Never gets hot

If the water pressure is lower ...tankless hot water heaters don’t work to well with taps with mix hot and cold ,separate hot and cold taps work better .
But if you can get 50 psi water pressure or more the problem should go away especially since hot water works elsewhere in the RV
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #17

On a side note, tankless is nice, did 4 showers in a row.

2 teens, then wife then me. Of course wife starts running cold water in bathroom sink when I’m using shower lol.

#Bru_Tube

Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If the water pressure is lower ...tankless hot water heaters don’t work to well with taps with mix hot and cold ,separate hot and cold taps work better .
But if you can get 50 psi water pressure or more the problem should go away especially since hot water works elsewhere in the RV
Reference for all;

From the Girard manual;

“The RV’s cold water system deriving its water input from a pressurized (45 psi or greater) source such as a shore connection or an RV water pump connected to the RV’s fresh water storage tank. NOTE - A steady water flow (no pulsating) will ensure a consistent temperature and performance.“

Page 12;

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1216/0450/files/Girard_RV_tankless_water_heater_GSWH-2_owner_s_manual_2016.pdf?7001776493250487096