Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Alante vs Precept

I notice a lot more activity on here for the Precept Line. Is the Alante not as popular of a line? How long has it been out? Some of the threads can pertain to both, but not nearly as many Alante specific postings it seems.

Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

The Alante is a newer model than the Precept so I think that is part of it. It also fits in sort of an odd spot. It appeals to people who want an entry level class A but I think it gets cross shopped with the Class Cs a lot. It's equipped like a Redhawk Class C but priced like a Greyhawk Class C so it depends on what's import to people to choose.

Our final decision was between a Redhawk and the Alante and ended up choosing the Class C for a few reasons.

RViBrake2 w/TPMS
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

I'm curious about your decision to buy a class C over the class A? I'll be contemplating this decision as well in ~1.5 years as we set off on a family trip. Can you provide insights?
bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #4

We went with Alante because it fit our wants better than the Precept. I like having a oven with my stove, some things just don't cook right for me in convection Microwave. This is our third class A and we down sized from diesel pusher. Alante has 19.5 tires cheaper to replace than 22's The most important thing is look at them all to find one that fits YOU. We all have our preference, both are good. Happy Camping
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Everybody needs to find what fits their needs.
We went from a 24’ class c to a 27’ Alante (26AY). We wanted to stay under 30’ because we often overnight at expo centers while my wife does her shows. We really wanted a queen size bed that you can walk around. We also had a list of other necessities and the Alante “ticked all the boxes”. The Alante has less wasted space by having front seats rotate into the living space instead of a truck cab. We use this RV a lot, it has been great and we have no regrets.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #6

We chose the Alante 31R for a few reasons. We needed the bunks and wanted the drop down bunk as well. We also wanted the walk around queen. We started with a 23 ft class c and moved to this class a. Once I drove the Alante, there was no way I was going back to a class c. Now, between the Alante and the Precept, there is the issue of cost. The Alante also had the layout that we wanted along with just the right length. We've been very happy with the Alante.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

Also the bunk model in the Alante is 34 feet 10 inches and the Precept is closer to 39 feet. We didn't want to get something that long.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Thanks for your comments. Yes, we're looking at the 31R as well, as it fits my family's needs with the bunks and the queen (with adequate space). I know you always sacrifice something by going with the less expensive model, so I mainly just want to know what "essentials" I may not get with the Alante vs. the Precept. (Even though the bunk model for the Precept is the 36T, which is too big for us anyway)
bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #9

So it seems like some things you get with the Precept is the JRide plus, nicer countertops, cabinets and other finishings. You also get larger tires and the rear cap. I think those are some of the things that you get with the Precept versus the Alante. There are probably others, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #10

The Precept line also comes with 50 amp service, larger 5500 watt generator and two 15000 btu roof air conditioners, which can be a consideration in hotter climates...both units can be run at the same time.

Pandara is offline   Reply With Quote