Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Alante vs Precept

I notice a lot more activity on here for the Precept Line. Is the Alante not as popular of a line? How long has it been out? Some of the threads can pertain to both, but not nearly as many Alante specific postings it seems.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

The Alante is a newer model than the Precept so I think that is part of it. It also fits in sort of an odd spot. It appeals to people who want an entry level class A but I think it gets cross shopped with the Class Cs a lot. It's equipped like a Redhawk Class C but priced like a Greyhawk Class C so it depends on what's import to people to choose.

Our final decision was between a Redhawk and the Alante and ended up choosing the Class C for a few reasons.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #3

I'm curious about your decision to buy a class C over the class A? I'll be contemplating this decision as well in ~1.5 years as we set off on a family trip. Can you provide insights?
bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #4

We went with Alante because it fit our wants better than the Precept. I like having a oven with my stove, some things just don't cook right for me in convection Microwave. This is our third class A and we down sized from diesel pusher. Alante has 19.5 tires cheaper to replace than 22's The most important thing is look at them all to find one that fits YOU. We all have our preference, both are good. Happy Camping
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #5

Everybody needs to find what fits their needs.
We went from a 24’ class c to a 27’ Alante (26AY). We wanted to stay under 30’ because we often overnight at expo centers while my wife does her shows. We really wanted a queen size bed that you can walk around. We also had a list of other necessities and the Alante “ticked all the boxes”. The Alante has less wasted space by having front seats rotate into the living space instead of a truck cab. We use this RV a lot, it has been great and we have no regrets.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #6

We chose the Alante 31R for a few reasons. We needed the bunks and wanted the drop down bunk as well. We also wanted the walk around queen. We started with a 23 ft class c and moved to this class a. Once I drove the Alante, there was no way I was going back to a class c. Now, between the Alante and the Precept, there is the issue of cost. The Alante also had the layout that we wanted along with just the right length. We've been very happy with the Alante.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #7

Also the bunk model in the Alante is 34 feet 10 inches and the Precept is closer to 39 feet. We didn't want to get something that long.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

Thanks for your comments. Yes, we're looking at the 31R as well, as it fits my family's needs with the bunks and the queen (with adequate space). I know you always sacrifice something by going with the less expensive model, so I mainly just want to know what "essentials" I may not get with the Alante vs. the Precept. (Even though the bunk model for the Precept is the 36T, which is too big for us anyway)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

So it seems like some things you get with the Precept is the JRide plus, nicer countertops, cabinets and other finishings. You also get larger tires and the rear cap. I think those are some of the things that you get with the Precept versus the Alante. There are probably others, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #10

The Precept line also comes with 50 amp service, larger 5500 watt generator and two 15000 btu roof air conditioners, which can be a consideration in hotter climates...both units can be run at the same time.
Pandara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslert View Post
So it seems like some things you get with the Precept is the JRide plus, nicer countertops, cabinets and other finishings. You also get larger tires and the rear cap. I think those are some of the things that you get with the Precept versus the Alante. There are probably others, but I'm not sure.
As a precept owner I will tell you Jay ride is a marketing gimmick. Many of us are throwing a lot of $$$$ at the mh to get it to ride and handle better. The Ford f53 chassis needs some help.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
As a precept owner I will tell you Jay ride is a marketing gimmick. Many of us are throwing a lot of $$$$ at the mh to get it to ride and handle better. The Ford f53 chassis needs some help.
I don't know because this is my first Class A. I did add a steering stabilizer and I've been very happy with the way it drives. Anyway, I would have gone with the Precept but didn't want to go that big (and had to have bunk beds).
Old 03-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandara View Post
The Precept line also comes with 50 amp service, larger 5500 watt generator and two 15000 btu roof air conditioners, which can be a consideration in hotter climates...both units can be run at the same time.
The Alante 31 and up, comes with 30 amp service and 4000 watt gen. two 11500 btu roof air that can be run at the same time. this system comes with a power management system that will drop power to the rear AC compressor (fan still runs) if you add a load such as microwave at same time. power is then restored once load returns to less than 30 amps. This is the concept as I understand it, we have yet had the opportunity to verify. Living in Texas ac was a major concern, but we were informed that it works as good as our other 50 amp system did in 38' older rig. Alante also comes with 6 gal gas/elec hot water versus Precept on demand unit. A lot of little things that you don't think of until you try them or maybe loose them. Option of a full paint job versus decals, the list goes on.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
The Alante 31 and up, comes with 30 amp service and 4000 watt gen. two 11500 btu roof air that can be run at the same time. this system comes with a power management system that will drop power to the rear AC compressor (fan still runs) if you add a load such as microwave at same time. power is then restored once load returns to less than 30 amps. This is the concept as I understand it, we have yet had the opportunity to verify. Living in Texas ac was a major concern, but we were informed that it works as good as our other 50 amp system did in 38' older rig. Alante also comes with 6 gal gas/elec hot water versus Precept on demand unit. A lot of little things that you don't think of until you try them or maybe loose them. Option of a full paint job versus decals, the list goes on.
Yes, the management system works really well (for us). We haven't had an issue with it (knock on wood). Wish I had gotten the full body paint but I didn't want to sink more money into it.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

2018 Alante 31R

Thanks for all the info; great discussions. We went to the local Jayco dealer and toured a new 2018 Alante 31R this weekend. We enjoyed the space for the most part, but I was a little disappointed in a couple living items: the couch, which has footrests, did not seem solid nor did it work well. Also, I could tell the dining area was slightly less wide and it was evident the cushions did not fit correctly. Has anyone else noticed these conditions, and if so, were you able to find solutions through Jayco or other (i.e. change out the sofa, better cushions, etc.)? (I realize these may be small items, but certainly not if this becomes our home!)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #16

All of those things that you mentioned, I had noticed as well. The cushions fit strangely. It is like you need to cram them into the dinette. The couch is ok but not great and the footrests had to be adjusted. They are ok, but not great. We deal with them but do use them sometimes. The dinette fit my all of us for a breakfast but I don't really hang out at the dinette. I usually relax in the cockpit, turnaround seats or the couch. So, yes, I agree with you on all that you mentioned; however, there are so many positives about the coach that outweighed the negatives....double a/c, power management system, fiberglass roof, layout, way it drove, etc.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #17

We also are faced with the Precept vs Alante choice. If the Precept came available with some items we absolutely want and need we would be getting that... we prefer boondocking in beautiful natural scenery locations, so my cooking systems need to be propane based for the most part, problem #1 is the Precept does NOT come with a propane oven option. Additionally while the 12cu ft fridge is pretty sweet, it comes at the expense of NOT getting a panty, and I'm not willing to forgo a panty, I'm fine with the 8cu ft fridge (that's what we have now and we are happy with that) and I have to have a pantry.

Other differences are... solid surface countertops (doesn't matter much to me, but we have done many home remodels, and I'm confidant we can upgrade that someday), a tri-fold couch rather than jack knife sofa (also EASILY upgraded), 50 amp service (we have 30 amp now and it's perfectly adequate for us), a stronger generator (we won't need it with the way we camp, we will largely be using solar unless we need to run A/C which will mean we go pay for an electric site somewhere, plus a 4000 watt generator is going to be AWESOME!), King size bed (I'm pretty confidant I can upgrade this too if we want), upgraded Jride Plus (which honestly both versions still need work to get them up to snuff)...

So since the Alante 29s and precept version layout are so similar, and since I must have propane oven and pantry options, we are going with and will be very happy with Alante. We will also be very happy with the savings $$ ��
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #18

I did tons of research on motor homes before we bought a 2018 31V last November. Diesel pushers, Class B, Class C, Class A and my requirements brought me to a Greyhawk C, Precept 31U and Alante 31V. Since we will be doing 1-3 month trips and not full timing the size and cost of the diesel ruled it out right away and the Class B's were just too small. We were real close to the "C" Greyhawk and it was OK with the exception of feeling a bit claustrophobic in the front with the big overhang and harder to get out of the front seats to get to the back. We then drove a Precept and my wife was hooked; huge windshield, sitting up higher and great layout - but pretty expensive. So we looked at the Alante in the same interior configuration but our local dealer in Salt Lake did not carry them so I found one in Colorado and bought it new on their Black Friday sale. We flew to Denver, picked it up and drove it back to Salt Lake. For a first timer on highway 80 (clearly the worst freeway in the country) battling 40+ mph winds and lots of semis I was pretty happy how it handled, but it still needs some suspension work. I have spent the winter with it in storage doing outfitting; added a TV in the bedroom, tire monitors, towing system for my RAV4 with braking system, grill, storage boxes, tool kit, extra fluids, dishes, etc., etc., etc. I have also been learning about the radio, nav system, jacks, LP gas and furnace, and the other systems EXCEPT the water system as it has been winterized since I picked it up. Water goes in next weekend with our shakedown trip to start 4/8. For the price, features, layout and size the Alante seems to meet our needs of two retired folk and one old dog.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #19

We also did the the whole comparison thing, and ended up getting the Alante. The reasons were pretty simple. The Alante costs much less, weighs less, has an oven, and doesn't have a bunch of stuff that we neither needed or wanted. One big thing that we didn't want was the tank-less water heater. Jayco would have swapped it out for a normal water heater at no charge, but it was easier to just get the Alante.

We also wanted to stay at 30a, as more campgrounds (State, County, and Wildlife Management Areas) accept it. The power management system works great, and we can run both AC's at the same time.

The only things that we added were a steering stabilizer, thermostatically controlled vent fan, digital thermostats, and spare tire carrier.

It all comes down to what best suites your needs and budget.

JMHO
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #20

What steering stabilizer did you get? I am pretty convinced I want to add one to my Alante. And, did you consider heavier sway bars for the back or front or both?
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote